• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Armadillo .22 RedWolf or .25 Ghost

Since I've moved back to South Carolina (mid-state) I've seen a tremendous amount of wild animals. This of course is very different from living in Southern California for the last 40 years. Deer are across the street at night eating, Wild Turkey are in the field next to me, a brown fox (Not sure how fast he/she/they/them et al is jumping over the lazy dog), too many bird types to list, etc. etc.

Well now an Armadillo has decided to come rooting up the area next to my drive way. Appears to have come a few nights because the area is getting bigger.

Options?
1. Do nothing - which would make the wife happier as she says "It's just doing what it does."
2. Redwolf .22 HP with Heliboard and a JSB Redesigned as seen through a ATN 4k PRO
3. BRK Ghost .25 with a JSB 34.95 King Heavy as seen through an Athalon 5x25
4. Springfield Armory .45 ACP as seen through iron sites.

I can move the ATN 4k PRO to either one if need be, at 5:00ish AM it's still kind of dark. Laser range finder from my porch the area is 24 yards. The goal would be one shot, one kill (The Marine in me is a lifelong thing ;) ), shot placement? between the eyes, through the ears? body?

Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Smitty

For dillos; might want the .25 🤔
But only 24 yards....should be good with the .22 and good shot placement
Make sure to study a little anatomy on em*pics for ya to start🤪🎩🤙

Screenshot_20230520_072854_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230520_072512_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Smitty911
Smitty,
Option One: No Go, they'll quickly multiply and destroy everything. Terminate with extreme prejudice.
Option Two: Two hit with .22, ran off after "bucking bronco" display, never seen again. Accurate shot placement very difficult with "jerky" movement characteristics and tiny head, aim forward body mass.
Option Three: Getting warmer, I prefer .30.
Option Four: Used 12 gauge (#6 shot), pulverized but still managed to crawl into woods and expire. Neighbors appreciated end of notorious lawn killer but badly shaken by shotgun blast. Hesitate on the .45.
Tip: Modified rear porch lights with brighter bulbs and reflective foil to direct light outward. Kept lights off, used periodically to check for armadillos, then turned off. Armadillos continued foraging when lights went on, allowing for shots. I've found, just like crows, hit a few, word gets out to stay away. WM

Honestly, I would do nothing, unless it is creating a serious issue and relocating it is out of the question. If it's for food (I have no idea how edible those things are). Or if relocating it are out of the question, then I'd go for it.

I'd use the 45. And fmjs. Penetration on that is typically pretty well under-rated. It will do the job 100%

.25 Cal it is, I'll move the ATN 4k Pro over and get it setup.

Sounds like a full mag to ensure ethical dispatch.

I'm surprised no one said "Use your F-150"

Well I hope it moves along into the hundred acres that are next door to me. If not wellllllllllllll.
Relocation, They seem to be every where, so not sure I could move it.

Smitty

Well I hope it moves along into the hundred acres that are next door to me. If not wellllllllllllll.

Smitty
Pellets...even slugs are cheaper than vehicles 😅🥴
FIRE AWAY!!🤣🤪🎩🤙

Smitty
Learned hard way to keep mag full. Now, when finished target practice, insert loaded mag, close side-lever, fire gun in safe direction, gun now ready. Ethical dispatch is tough, low slung, tiny head often obscured by grass, impossible to see while they root around. Admire those who only take head shots, that's not been my practical experience. At first, took a "live and let live" approach as they moved into a Gopher Tortoise hole and started a family. Realized my mistake when lawn resembled a moonscape, now shoot on sight. Relocation, sterilization and counseling won't work with armadillos, only good one is a dead one. WM

As to edibility I haven't a clue, never tried one. During the Great Depression they were called Hover's Hogs, reference to President Hoover.
I was told by someone (I don’t recall exactly who) that people used to eat armadillos around my area. In recent years I’ve learned that the type of armadillos in my region (the nine banded armadillo) carries the bacteria that causes leprosy (aka Hansen’s disease) I’ve read that the transmission rate is low around here, but I don’t want to catch something doctors aren’t used to seeing or treating. I generally don’t touch armadillos. If I have to move a carcass I try to use shovels or sticks. If I have to pick one up I’ll wear gloves.

Learned hard way to keep mag full. Now, when finished target practice, insert loaded mag, close side-lever, fire gun in safe direction, gun now ready. Ethical dispatch is tough, low slung, tiny head often obscured by grass, impossible to see while they root around. Admire those who only take head shots, that's not been my practical experience. At first, took a "live and let live" approach as they moved into a Gopher Tortoise hole and started a family. Realized my mistake when lawn resembled a moonscape, now shoot on sight. Relocation, sterilization and counseling won't work with armadillos, only good one is a dead one. WM

I learned that the hard way also, a long time ago. Insert mag and fire a shot. When the time to stand and deliver arrives is not the time to be farting around trying to isert a mag.