• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results Arlington ASC FT Match Results

FT Match Report Arlington Sportsman’s Club 04/22/2023

I decided a couple of weeks ago that our April match was going to be a repeat of our difficult March match to give the veteran shooters a real challenge. Everything was going as planned until I was unable to be present on Friday to setup the course, so Scott had to do it by himself. I will say that he did a great job and is now promoted to Assistant Match Director! The course consisted once again of 2 targets per lane on 15 lanes and conformed to all AAFTA rules. The average Troyer this month was 33.1, SD 5.07, Avg Dist 31.6 yds, and Avg KZ 1.08”. Thanks to Scott for the setup, and to everyone who helps me run and takedown the course each month. Kudos!!

It was a perfect spring Texas day for shooting outside! The temps were in the 60’s when we started, and the winds weren’t nearly as strong or from the west like last month. Shooters came from as far as Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Austin, San Antonio, Arkansas, Brownwood, and Houston to shoot with us today. We had five new shooters this month that are part of the Howard Payne University Shooting Sports class, and they came to “take their final exam” on the course. We started at 9:00am after an extended safety and rules meeting, and then spread out on the course “shotgun” style and started shooting.

Hunter PCP was once again the most numerous and contested class for the day with seven shooters. 1st place was Rick Cuccio shooting his FX Royale with Hawke scope with 59/60, only one shot from cleaning the course! We had a tie for 2nd that was settled by shootoff with Derrick Wall shooting his Kalibrgun Cricket2 TAC beating out Thom Davies shooting his FX Royale both with 57/60, while new shooter David Turner finished 4th shooting his Daystate Redwolf with 53/60.

In WFTF, we had four shooters. I finished 1st today with a 54/60 shooting my RAW TM1000, beating out Eric Pianori with his Tau Brno with 52/60.

We had one Hunter Piston and one Unlimited and one Pistol shooter today. Each of these shooters finished 1st in class. Congrats to you all!

The Howard Payne U students enjoyed their “final exam” more than I remember “enjoying” any of mine back in college. They shot in the Fun Rifle class that awards one point for hitting the face plate, and two points for knocking the target over. David W came out on top with 77/120, but their professor, long-time shooter Bob Pacatte, tells me they will all “Pass” no matter where they finished. Happy to have you all present and hope you continue shooting in your adult lives after school.

You can see all the other scores and the equipment used in the table below. Take a look at the growing content of our shooting score analyses website https://airgunshoot.com/ that shows your score on each lane, your hit percentage by lane or near/mid/far targets, how you compare to your class average, your class winner, and the HOA winner. Thanks to Scott for his work on this, you should be able to tease out some areas where you can improve and hopefully finish higher in the standings.

Our next match will be on Saturday May 27 which is our usual 4th Saturday. This match will start at 9:00am since we are in the warmer months and want to get started before it gets too hot.

See you at the next match,
Jeff Cloud
Field Target Match Director
Arlington Sportsman’s Club

1682274581873.png

IMG_9162.jpeg
IMG_9163.jpeg
IMG_9164.jpeg
IMG_9166.jpeg
IMG_9167.jpeg
IMG_9171.jpeg
IMG_9173.jpeg
IMG_9175.jpeg
IMG_9178.jpeg
IMG_9181.jpeg

Jeff and Scott, thank you for another fun match. Always worth the drive to shoot at ASC. Congratulations to Rick and Derrick, good shooting! Looks like I need to work on my shoot-off skills.
I'll try to put together an audio file of shoot-off heckling that you can use for practice. I'll just bring a tape recorder next time I shoot with Pablo B and Ron. Jeff doesn't like to squad me with those two, it scares off the normies.

I noticed when I was entering the scores that everyone struggled with the owl in the tree on lane 3. I went out today to see what the deal is with that target. I sat there and hammered it, hitting it 8 out of 10 times. My conclusion is that it's a tough target (toughest on the course, by a lot) and that breeze we had on Saturday was coming through a gap in the trees, turning a tough target into a really tough target.
Sometimes field target is just hard.

I noticed when I was entering the scores that everyone struggled with the owl in the tree on lane 3. I went out today to see what the deal is with that target. I sat there and hammered it, hitting it 8 out of 10 times. My conclusion is that it's a tough target (toughest on the course, by a lot) and that breeze we had on Saturday was coming through a gap in the trees, turning a tough target into a really tough target.
Sometimes field target is just hard.
Hard?🤔
You misspelled fun and challenging 🤗🤪🤙
But I don't know if I'd like to table shootnor field shoot more. Because I love shooting in general 🥰