Arken optics SH-4

Dillon, 😊

I see what you mean — yes, those are a lot of numbers — but for me I think it wouldn't take very long to get used to them and see right through them unless I need them.

The numbers seems so overloaded, I think, because it's a MOA reticle — in a MIL reticle the numbers would be single digit, not double digit: 

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 =MIL

4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32 =MOA

MOA looks way more busy. And in MIL the reticle maker could easily skip every second number without adding more difficulty, because 3,4,5 is much more simple than 12,16,20:

2, 4, 6, 8, 10 =MIL abbreviated! 

Scopes are fun!!

Stay well, I wish you and your family God's protection from this virus craze! 😊

Matthias

Here is how a proper mil reticle should look! I'm biased because I helped Athlon Optics design it. Most of the expensive $3000+ FFP scope brands have a reticle somewhat similar and is a mainstay, as well as the best sellers in their high end lines.

As a former AZ state long range Steel champion, using centerfire tactical rifles, my hope was to bring top notch .2 mil reticles for everyone to enjoy in affordable FFP scopes, and here's what materialized. I also strongly urged the owner to include close focus because I love shooting AG's and 22rimfires, which he did. I just wish he had done 10Y close focus on all his scopes!

Note how the mil line numbers don't obscure wind holdoffs when holding over using the reticle. Also the reticle line thickness is made to be seen on low magnification, and the crossing over of the hashes at .5 mil makes the reticle appear larger on low mag as well. This is a good balance in versatility.

BTW since each hash mark is 2 clicks worth, this means that 1 click or .1 mil is easily taken advantage of.

Each riflescope needs to be chosen by the most used application. If used on low power mostly a thicker reticle is the way to go, and visa versa. The APLR2 is in the middle of reticle line and hash mark thickness.

https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/ATHLON-APLR2-FFP-IR-MIL-Reticle-Manual.pdf

Wow! great to see all this feed back. I've be racking my brain trying to decide which scope to get. So much to consider! But with all that said I think. I'm just going to go with my first inclination and get a SWFA SS 10X42m side focus.

Just wish they were still closer to three hundred bucks instead of four.

Why a fixed mag scope? The four hundred and a little above that price point open up more versatile options for you. 

Its funny. Because I'm kind of back to square one again; on what scope to get. I went to buy one off of SWFA site yesterday. But they couldn't process my credit card because my bank doesn't give my entire address and SWFA won't process an order with a partial address or something like that. So I called SWFA and they put one on hold for me. But I will have to mail them a check or money order to buy the scope. So yeah... maybe not SWFA. I want to get a scope as soon as possible. I want to shoot my new airgun.

I do want the versatility of variable magnification. It's just with all the threads on scopes here it seems that the SWFA get nothing but praise. And the fixed power scopes seem very popular.

I placed a ordered over the phone for scope mounts with Utah Airguns yesterday. I ask them if a fixed 10x would be a good fit for my gun and I was told that would be perfect. But they told me consider looking into Optisan scopes. So I'm about do some looking into Optisan after I post this. 

But L.Leon your right about the price and for about another eighty dollars more I could get a US Optics TS-12 which would be really nice. But that is closer to five bills. I still should keep it to around three.

So many good choices. I'm back to being picky I guess.

Christopher,

scope shopping can be complicated, I hear you! 😄

It helps to clarify for yourself what it is that you need — for the kind of shooting you'll do, the ranges, and how you plan to adjust your POI with changing ranges.

There is a post that briefly reviews some of the main options/ features that a scope offers you.

At the end you'll find three Scope Specs Tables that compare the specs of 150 scopes side by side (sub $500). Each table covers a certain magnification range.

These have helped me a lot in my own scope buying decisions....

Happy shopping! 😊

Matthias

❌ LINK to the Scope Specs Tables:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/%f0%9f%94%b4150-scopes-comparison-in-3-scope-specs-tables/

Thanks Matthias! Yeah, there is a lot to learn about. I appreciate the advice.

I need the scope for my compact FX dream-tac in 22cal, it has a 38cm barrel.

I'm planning on using it in my yard, and in the neighboring empty lots if I dare. There are a lot of rabbits out here that I can get pretty close to. Things might change when I point a gun at them but I'll have to see. I don't plan on shooting out past sixty yards. I also would like to do some pesting. So small targets like rats and sparrows and other invasive birds. 

I would like to learn how to adjust for windage and elevation with the turrets on the scope. And also try holding for drop and wind by using the reticle markings.

Thanks for sharing the scope spec tables. I was able to give them a look through the other day and ended up buying a scope Saturday. I got it off a site that I never heard of before so hopefully it works out; it was a really good deal. I don't think they are working on the weekend. So come Monday I hope to get an email from them saying it has been shipped.

Hope you have a happy Resurrection Sunday!

Christopher

I would like to learn how to adjust for windage and elevation with the turrets on the scope. And also try holding for drop and wind by using the reticle markings.

I ended up buying a scope Saturday.

Hope you have a happy Resurrection Sunday!

Christopher

Christopher,

nice that you got a scope in route. Hopefully the seller will treat you right. 👍🏼

You say you want to learn to shoot with dialing turrets and with reticle holdoffs? ➔ Cool. 😊 

Biggest three questions:

(1) Did you get a first focal plane scope (FFP), or a second focal plane scope (SFP)? 

(2) Did you get a scope with a holdoff reticle (evenly spaced hash marks)? 

(3) Are the turrets and the reticle speaking the same language — i.e., using the same units of measure — either both MIL or both MOA? 

——————————————————————

Then...:

You probably will appreciate the help of a ballistic calculator.

They might look a bit complicated at first, but we'll walk you through them, and they'll expand your understanding of how to sling pellets and slugs just where you want them! 😄

▪ Options of mobile ballistic calculators:

Strelok Pro

Strelok Plus

Strelok [Free]

ChairGun mobile

A new program, from ackurik:
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/official-release-simple-pcp-calculator-mobile/

Options of PC ballistic calculator programs, usually for more in depth calculations:

ChairGun PC

ackurik is working on a PC program as well, very powerful

Happy Resurrection Sunday to YOU! 😊

Matthias

Matthias,

Yeah, I hope my scope comes in without issue.

To answer your questions. I got the scope in first focal plane and it has mil turrets and reticle. The reticle has hash marks that are number every two milliradian and only go up to ten on elevation and four milliradian on left and right. 

I wish it had illumination but the scope is pretty small and compact so I like that about it.

Ballistic calculator sounds like a nice thing to have. When I start shoot I'll look into this more.

Thanks for the help.

If you have anymore question about this scope please PM me. Because I think we are getting off topic on this thread.

God bless

Yeah for a FFP scope the Arken SH-4 is my top choice. Just really love the scope. But my old faithful is a SWFA 10x42 mil-quad. Those are my 2 favorites. I ordered zero stop shims for my SWFA so I could have that feature on it.

Also I know Arken is behind in stock because of the Coronavirus. I believe on there website it says theres a 6-8 week delay on scopes.

I think Arken aren't the only ones behind on orders right now. The vendor I bought from sent me an email saying there orders are up over 400% and they are behind due to the Virus. 

Lots of people at home just buying stuff online; I guess its kinda therapeutic or something. 

If my purchase falls through I'm going to be look for an Arken on eBay. I saw a used one the other go for around three hundred. 

Hi For a low priced scope all the Arkens are great units , I think they did a very good job with clean reticles and features and for the money are a great price for what you get , I think with WHat is happening in the world has got them off to a slow start , But I feel this company will thrive in future and while now I have tried all their optics I believe theirs is not like the other scope companies which came up out of no where having scopes made over seas , These guys had more to bring to the table them some other new scope companies where they are combat vets and had to rely on their optics to survive , So I support them 100% and I will be excited in their new innovations when we get back to normal .

LOU

PS Dairy boy , with SWFA scopes you dont need to buy a kit for zero stop , I use drain plug washers , but you can use like alum or steel washers too , I like the feel of plastic from say drain plugs , lol I was a mechanic so I had all in my shop . I have used washes on all their models from the 1-x to 3x15 to 10hd to 5x20hd ,