As much I enjoy using my 4 .ep5 arkens and one sh4 4x14.... only one of the ep5 and the sh4 focus right on the yardage.. the other 3 will focus perfectly.. but let say the object is al 100y they focus at the 60y mark.. and since we all getting older if I were on the market for another scope.. it would not be Arken.. I have a Athlon Helios 4x20 awesome scope for only $100 extra bucks . and a little more magnification than maybe is not needed now but definitely will be needed later.. and I could clearly focus that Athlon to 8y .

Reactions: cavedweller
How do you like your Aztec? Does it have the big elevation and windage knobs?
I’ll work on the Aztec eval this weekend. Meanwhile, I took the Arken off my .177 FT GRS Crown and moved it to an Old Henry .22 rimfire which doesn’t need to focus clearly at 10 yards as I shoot it at 25 meters or more. Arken offered me a refund but since I had an alternate use for it I decided to keep it.

As much I enjoy using my 4 .ep5 arkens and one sh4 4x14.... only one of the ep5 and the sh4 focus right on the yardage.. the other 3 will focus perfectly.. but let say the object is al 100y they focus at the 60y mark.. and since we all getting older if I were on the market for another scope.. it would not be Arken.. I have a Athlon Helios 4x20 awesome scope for only $100 extra bucks . and a little more magnification than maybe is not needed now but definitely will be needed later.. and I could clearly focus that Athlon to 8y .
Yepper, I also have another bigger Arken and it’s also on an Old Henry, my .357 short.

If I were in the market for another scope, I'd probably go for one of these. They look great. Would be a hard choice between my 4-20x50 Helos BTR Gen2 though. And yes I have a 4-16x50 SH4 Gen2 so I can directly compare and they compare very closely. I'd probably pick the Athlon over Arken though. Probably just due to size. Had a 4-14x44 SH4 Gen1 I greatly regret selling. But again I could happily buy the Helos BTR Gen2 line or this EPL4 line and not need consider different scopes.
I have both and the Athalon is a clear winner

Reactions: Elgreco
Arken has EPL4s in stock and I have one on the way. I will compare it with my Athlon Helos BTR GenII, Midas-Tac, Heras, Sightron S-Tac, Aztec and anything else I have kicking around. I also have 3 Arken SH4s which I like very much.
I’m curious if your Arken epl4 will focus properly closer than 12 yards. Mine didn’t.

I ended up picking an EPL4 up and I have a hard time choosing between it and the Athlon. Right now Athlon wins for the reticle and ease of controls. Glass wise I give it to Arken though. Turrets are a toss up. Like the locking turrets though.

Great news, Dillon, thank you for your report. 👍🏼

Now, that Arken has finally moved into the
10-yard-parallax group with it's EPL series....
now I'm just waiting for Arken to move into the
4-24x or 5-30x magnification range.... 😊

Matthias

Great news, Dillon, thank you for your report. 👍🏼

Now, that Arken has finally moved into the
10-yard-parallax group with it's EPL series....
now I'm just waiting for Arken to move into the
4-24x or 5-30x magnification range.... 😊

Matthias
Not soooo fast, just because Arken says 10 yard parallax doesn’t make it so! As I have reported, I took mine off my airgun and put it on a .22 rimfire because it Didn’t focus closer than 12 yards!

• Sad
Reactions: JungleShooter
Not soooo fast, just because Arken says 10 yard parallax doesn’t make it so! As I have reported, I took mine off my airgun and put it on a .22 rimfire because it Didn’t focus closer than 12 yards!
I just tested this morning and mine focuses the same as my Athlon. Plus who needs 16x at 10yds lol 2 yds shouldn't be a deal breaker.

For scopecam video I do use high magnification at close range.
Just look at the Airgun Evolution videos, like:

Thanks for your feedback on the 10y parallax, Dillon! 👍🏼

Matthias
For something like that then I understand. Again mine is comparable to the Athlon in parallax regards but others might find there's different. I don't shoot much above 10x on any scope I own I like my FOV

Reactions: JungleShooter
I have limited Athlon experience so keep that in mind. But most of my experience is outside in various conditions at very long ranges, where the difference between scopes is more apparent. And the advice I give is after using these specific scopes in the field with my own hands and eyeballs. Since I do a lot of turret twisting, a requirement when shooting unknown distances, my expectations for a scope are much different than someone who only shoots at the range at 10/25/50 yards etc. The Titan is one monster of a scope, and Im sorry but I dont think the Athlon range is as good overall. Maybe the top tier options are the same or better, but to me turrets are the primary standard. Glass is maybe third or fourth on my list of priorities. I can range and turret to a target with lower glass quality just fine, but if your scope wont move where you want it, its worthless. The whole Element line has great turrets, and varying levels of great glass. But the Arken turrets are simply some of the best in the whole industry, and the glass is pretty decent on top of that. Like I mentioned above, scopes can be very subjective person to person. So I know my view isnt the same as some, and thats ok. And I am a self titled scope snob, but the reality is a UTG (plug in random budget scope) or whatever cannot perform to the level I need.
I'm not a long distance shooter, I'm working to get to a whopping 100-120 yards for ground squirrels. My practice range is 31 yards, I've got Titans, it got cold and the darn turrets froze up, at 50 degrees, WTH?? Along the way I bought a Arken, close to the bottom of the heap, loved the turrets even that nano dot they use was ok for my old eyes, then I bought a ELP. Slightly better glass, my play target is a bunch of 1/4" squares, rotated and on different planes With the Titians I couldn't get .25 pellets IN the squares consistently, today I swapped scopes around, put the lower Arken on, I wanted the lines and dots for hold overs and WTH, I could do no wrong 32 straight, didn't matter which pellet I was using, once I got sighted in off to the races. I'm not knocking the Titians but I'm convinced that the Arkens just work better. Oh I forgot to mention, Arken's customer service is beyond excellent.

Last edited:
I just tested this morning and mine focuses the same as my Athlon. Plus who needs 16x at 10yds lol 2 yds shouldn't be a deal breaker.
I guess when a scope manufacturer advertises that their product can focus at 10 yards - I expect it to perform as stated; especially in the airgun community. Such behavior lacks 2 yards worth of integrity.

I just set up a target at 10 yards, and I started at 4X and went up to 12 X and it was very nice and clear and crisp. Up towards 16 it was just a bit fuzzy. But as Dylan said, who shoots 16 power at 10 yards? Not me!
In HFT where you are limited to a 16x scope you are also not allowed to adjust your magnification or use anything except your parallax adjustment - closer targets generally have smaller KZ’s and require more holdover - so, yep, it’s a problem; but as stated I just put my Arken on a different gun; which was not my original intent. All field target shooters have to shoot as close as 10 yards.

Last edited:
All field target shooters have to shoot as close as 10 yards.

And many pesters have to shoot as close as 10 yards.

Or closer, when the other day I had a face-off with a rat in my kitchen....
Or a pigeon ready to poop on garden furniture....
Or a much larger mammal in my front yard....

Matthias