• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Arken EPL4 or…?

ordered a new Athlon for my .45 bushbuck. It is on its way back. Would not hold it's point of aim. Kept shifting.
Mounted it and checked the tracking. It failed by 1.5 moa at 100 yds the first time and about the same each time after that.
I have always been a fan of Athlon scopes. I have a few that work perfectly. Afraid I have lost my faith.

I ordered a new Arken EPL4 6-24x50 to try on the Bushbuck. I have been using the Arken EP5 and EP4 for a few years now. Mostly on
long range PBs. They have all been very good scopes even at 1k yds. Not top of the line, but extremely good scopes for the price point.

I own 2-4k dollar scopes. The are nice, but my old eyes just do not appreciate the glass as they should.

I recommend the Arken scopes for anyone regardless of skill level or experience. Great value and quality optics.
Just my .02 worth.

Doc

So finally got round to mounting the epl4 4-16 on my veteran standard 25. It replaced the sh4 4-16 I had on it before.
so far, the glass is on par with the sh4, and is clear edge to edge at max magnification. Light transfer is good, and turrets are super clicky.
it’s basically the same scope as the sh4, only substantially lighter and smaller, which helped with the vet being top heavy. I’m pleased with it so far.
only time will tell if it lives up to my Expectations. Going from my zthlon Midas tac to this, so the bar is set high. We shall see!

Reactions: MarksmanPete
So finally got round to mounting the epl4 4-16 on my veteran standard 25. It replaced the sh4 4-16 I had on it before.
so far, the glass is on par with the sh4, and is clear edge to edge at max magnification. Light transfer is good, and turrets are super clicky.
it’s basically the same scope as the sh4, only substantially lighter and smaller, which helped with the vet being top heavy. I’m pleased with it so far.
only time will tell if it lives up to my Expectations. Going from my zthlon Midas tac to this, so the bar is set high. We shall see!
I'd love to hear how it compares to the Midas Tac once you've had time to mess with the Arken a while.

Reactions: madeintheuk
I'd love to hear how it compares to the Midas Tac once you've had time to mess with the Arken a while.
Right now, it doesn’t. Lol.the Midas tac is better in every way except one. Lack of illumination, but for the price difference, I’m not complaining. I got this on the special they did for July 4th. It was a steal!

Reactions: Mr.H
Correct. Reticle just as small. I’d have to use the illumination as a sort of red dot at low mag, and my eyes aren’t too bad!
I was doing ground squirrels with my SH4 at 100 yards, low magnification with OLD eyes, can't say which magnification I was on, but I'd guess about 12x or so, maybe less. I absolutely love Arken's, for me they just work.

Reactions: madeintheuk
I was doing ground squirrels with my SH4 at 100 yards, low magnification with OLD eyes, can't say which magnification I was on, but I'd guess about 12x or so, maybe less. I absolutely love Arken's, for me they just work.
Shoot what you love. That’s the beauty of having options. What works for you doesn’t necessarily work for everyone. I prefer my Athlons. To each, their own.

Reactions: pan60
I've been eyeing the Arken scopes myself. Until, I found the below review. It's weird that many reviews don't mention it or maybe they miss it by only testing in one type of light conditions. That said, the Athlon line of scopes are probably a better choice for those that are bothered by chromatic aberration and require additional detail in bright sunlight conditions. Given time Arken will probably climb up the value chain ladder so its worth watching them.

-Marty

PS. The comment above is referencing the SH and not EP line of scopes. Its possible that the EP and EPL line has better glass.
Ep5 is best glass I gotta say the epl4 is not optical center sensitive, By that I mean you can have it far off optical center an really no difference it seems , But the ep5 on the other hand you crank it all the way out an its very noticeable your off center asimage quality decreases , But when your centered is it clear an got a bit less aboration than the epl4, but the turrets that always move around if your on the go an bulk/weight of the ep5 makes it deal breaker to me. Selling an arken is easy though already got message again on ebay for ep5.

Last edited:
The Arken EPL4 6-24x50 are on sale at Amazon for $440 now!

Ordering at Arken Optics has no GST and includes an accessory kit with rings, throwing rods, level modules, front and rear mirror caps, and a t-shirt for a total of $441.96. Amazon sells 399 to add 9.5% consumption tax. And only one scope does not include accessories

Also, I have sharp focus at 10 yards, but the scale distance on the side cam is not accurate. It seems that no one cares about the logo on the side cam, and they all use laser ranging to measure the distance.