• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Arken EPL4 6-24x50 Warning

Just a fair warning that the Arken EPL4 6-24x50 may not focus down to 10 yards for those that are interested in it for Field Target.

I was super excited to try it, as the side parallax knob rotates about 240 degrees! I thought that it would be the bees knees so to speak for ranging. I got a new JD Sidewheel setup and was getting the yardages setup (never figuring to double check check the near yardage). Anyway, I started at the far yardages and worked my way in. The 50 to 55 was over 1/2" - holly cow, I thought this is
20230611_213839.jpg
great. When I started moving in at around 15 yards, I started to run out of room. Sure enough, I could only get to about 12.5 yards. That just won't do for Field Target.

I shot off a note to Arken. They responded very quickly on a Sunday night even, but they said that it's up to my eyes, diopter, and magnification to get to 10 yards and wished me luck. I don't think that is how parallax adjustment works. I have a lot of scopes and they all do 10 yards without a problem, with my eyes, diopter setting and 16x magnification. My Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 have no problems with 10yards or even a little under.

I suspect that their QA/QC has something to be desired, based on other comments I have read. Anyway, I will see if the retailer I bought it from will take care of the issue. I probably will not use this brand in the future. But I thought that I would warn others of the potential issue, before they drop their coin on this scope.

Daniel Putz

Reactions: bustachip
On a 3/8" or 1/2" kill zone (commonly used on those close Field Target shots), using your 10 yard holdover when the true distance is 11 yards (or vice versa) = miss.
I'm with @DrPutz... for Field Target competition, a scope MUST have sharp focus at 10 yards, non-negotiable.

Yeah, this might be a better discussion in FT section. Some demented FT director would put 1/4 inch KZ at 10.7 yards……wretched soul! 🤣🤣🤣

You guys who haven't shot FT can't relate. Having 10y focus is just pretty important in the sport. One reason is its often only 1 miss that separates 1st and 2nd place.

10y is the closest distance a target is legal to set in a AAFTA match. But by accident someone put a target at 9y in a recent match. It was a 3/8 KZ. I think the MD's LRF was off.
Anyway I missed both shots because I hadn't checked my dope at that distance and because my scope won't focus that close. I'm sure I hit the edge somewhere but I couldn't tell because the target was so shot up??

Even if a person ranges a target at 11y when it's actually at 10y the result will be a miss on a 1/2" KZ.

The targets are designed so if the pellet hits the edge of the KZ on the face plate it won't fall.
Since the pellet is almost 1/8" wide you've only got a 1/4" error to send a pellet clean through the hole to the paddle if it's a 3/8 KZ.

My dope from 10y/3.6 mils to 11y/2.9 mils is .7 mil which is a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavedweller
Just a fair warning that the Arken EPL4 6-24x50 may not focus down to 10 yards for those that are interested in it for Field Target.

I was super excited to try it, as the side parallax knob rotates about 240 degrees! I thought that it would be the bees knees so to speak for ranging. I got a new JD Sidewheel setup and was getting the yardages setup (never figuring to double check check the near yardage). Anyway, I started at the far yardages and worked my way in. The 50 to 55 was over 1/2" - holly cow, I thought this isView attachment 363838 great. When I started moving in at around 15 yards, I started to run out of room. Sure enough, I could only get to about 12.5 yards. That just won't do for Field Target.

I shot off a note to Arken. They responded very quickly on a Sunday night even, but they said that it's up to my eyes, diopter, and magnification to get to 10 yards and wished me luck. I don't think that is how parallax adjustment works. I have a lot of scopes and they all do 10 yards without a problem, with my eyes, diopter setting and 16x magnification. My Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 have no problems with 10yards or even a little under.

I suspect that their QA/QC has something to be desired, based on other comments I have read. Anyway, I will see if the retailer I bought it from will take care of the issue. I probably will not use this brand in the future. But I thought that I would warn others of the potential issue, before they drop their coin on this scope.

Daniel Putz

I was super excited to try it, as the side parallax knob rotates about 240 degrees! I thought that it would be the bees knees so to speak for ranging. I got a new JD Sidewheel setup and was getting the yardages setup (never figuring to double check check the near yardage). Anyway, I started at the far yardages and worked my way in. The 50 to 55 was over 1/2" - holly cow, I thought this isView attachment 363838 great. When I started moving in at around 15 yards, I started to run out of room. Sure enough, I could only get to about 12.5 yards. That just won't do for Field Target.

Daniel Putz
My Midas Tac 6-24X50 will go almost to 9yards, it's in focus, but not crystal clear like at 10 yards.
It still focus's enough at 9 yards that I have that dope on my side wheel and I've shot through my 1/4" KZ rabbit several times.
IMG_6694.jpeg

Reactions: SANTO

Daniel Putz
It focuses at 10 meters 10.94 yards so mfgr issues I addressed this last year with them because their specs incorrectly list 10 yards.Same for ep5.
IMG_6815.jpeg

Last edited:
It focuses at 10 meters 10.94 yards so mfgr issues I addressed this last year with them because their specs incorrectly list 10 yards.Same for ep5.
View attachment 424711
Nope, their specs say 10yards, not meters. 12.5 yards is what I measured, which equates to 11.4 meters anyway. It seems to be a good scope, just not for field target shooting.

Nope, their specs say 10yards, not meters. 12.5 yards is what I measured, which equates to 11.4 meters anyway. It seems to be a good scope, just not for field target shooting.
Yep I know what there specs say but in reality when actually taped my ep5 it was a tad over 10.86 yards or 10 meters - I sent Arken an email and they offered me a refund - did Not offer to correct their mistakes.
Incidentally - the EP5 will make an excellent Extreme Field Target Scope since closest targets are at 20 yards.
The Ep4 is on my Old Henry .22 powder burner which never gets shot because i prefer my air rifles.

Last edited:
Reactions: RM.510bigbore