Arken 4-16... the new standard?

Snagged an Arken 4-16 from forum member Douger a while back and grabbing another...and will grab another. Anyone else finding this scope to be a staple in their collection?

It's a little big, but that doesnt bother me. Excellent glass (and not only 'for the money') and the turrets are tactile and audible. 

Got one on a Huben now and another incoming for an Impact. Threw on a 6-24 Arken on an ELR .22 rimfire trainer as well. 

Great scopes! On my Tikka .22lr

IMG_20220130_072439707.1643852815.jpg

OK, I like just about everything about Arken scopes. 👍🏼

But... — did I misread this, or skipped one — or... are ALL Arken scopes 25y minimum parallax? 😧

Because for me as an airgunner that's the clearest deal breaker in the book. 😞 All my guns do duty from 10y to 70y+.... — and I don't like blurry footage on my scope cam....

Matthias

OK, I like just about everything about Arken scopes.
1f44d-1f3fc.svg

But... — did I misread this, or skipped one — or... are ALL Arken scopes 25y minimum parallax?
1f627.svg

Because for me as an airgunner that's the clearest deal breaker in the book.
1f61e.svg
All my guns do duty from 10y to 70y+.... — and I don't like blurry footage on my scope cam....

Matthias

Yep, same for me when it comes to my airguns. Scopes MUST do 10 yards clear and focused even on the highest zoom/magnification.

Although I like my Athlon Argos BTR 8-34x56 FFP Gen1, I am not currently using it because it can only focus (almost) to about 10 meters/11 yards at the lowest zoom. Forget about focusing close at 34 power and yes, I do use the highest magnification even at close range.

Aim small, miss small.

Reactions: silvershooter589
Same here. I passed on the Arkens also because of that downfall. I’ll stick with my athlons. My helos 2-12 on my leshiy 2 and a Midas tac on my impact are both phenomenal glass, and they can parallax down under 10yds. 
im also a fan of the Aztec emerald 5.5-25 on my wildcat. It’s not as good at higher mag as the athlons, but still great glass for the price. 

I'd have no issue using this scope on an airgun with the 25yds parallax. On my Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42 I use that on 6-8x out to 100yds regularly. If I shoot at 25yds and in 4x is my maximum. The Arken is very useable at lower powers and if I was shooting close than 25yds I'd likely have it on 4-6x as well so the parallax issue wouldnt be there. However my 2 airguns I have are small, compact and lightweight so a big heavy scope like this just doesn't fit for them. So I prefer the Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42.

Reactions: Sodbuster
Yep, 25yd parallax is a deal breaker. Not really a huge fan of 4-16 and when I do use a 4-16 I don't need 50mm which just adds a bunch more weight than 40mm or 44mm. I like something like a Weaver Classic or Grand Slam in 4-16. I also don't like cluttered reticles in that lower magnification. That's not a bad scope if you keep the gun on the bench/bags all the time. 

Arken Parallax is a deal breaker for me as well. I have one of the arken sh4 6-24x50 FFP scopes and the parallax is bad at any adjustment or distance out to 100 yds. It now lays in it's original box after shooting one magazine with it on the Impact M3. I replaced it with an Element Helix that will focus down to 10 yds perfectly or any other distance. Not much difference in glass clarity, reticle etc. but the Arken just will not adjust to keep the reticle from moving all over the place. Nearly impossible to shoot pellet on pellet at 25 yds. It may be OK out at several hundred yards but I have no need for that. I would make a good deal to someone on it if they want to mess with it.

not sure what to shoot at 10 yards unless you use a pistol

Tons of airgunners have indoor or basement ranges under 25yds. Others have very short backyards. It is also great for chronographing, repairing, testing the gun, targets or ammo etc. You can pop off 3 magazines at half time in a blizzard instead of watching some famous fat girl dance to a light show. Many shoot mainly springers which shorter distances are the norm. 

They don't shoot at these short distances exclusively but many are snowed in for the winter or only have time to go outside the house/yard to shoot on weekends. Shooting at these short ranges allows them to shoot all week and year. You concentrate more on your mechanics, trigger pull and follow through etc. If you compete at anything you will know how important massive trigger time is.

Another thing about 25yd parallax setting is there is as much as a 20% variance from scope to scope. Some may not focus down any better than 30yds. With a 10yd parallax focus that would be 12 yds.

Reactions: MartyMcFly

Really? I am VERY much more accurate/precise with a rifle than a pistol at ANY range.

Not to mention the 10 meter (~11 yard) competitions of which you are apparently unaware. (chuckle)

your right lets not get you panties in a knot never rea;;y thought about a riffle at 11 yards use what you choose as we all do shoot straight bud

Tons of airgunners have indoor or basement ranges under 25yds. Others have very short backyards. It is also great for chronographing, repairing, testing the gun, targets or ammo etc. You can pop off 3 magazines at half time in a blizzard instead of watching some famous fat girl dance to a light show. Many shoot mainly springers which shorter distances are the norm. 

They don't shoot at these short distances exclusively but many are snowed in for the winter or only have time to go outside the house/yard to shoot on weekends. Shooting at these short ranges allows them to shoot all week and year. You concentrate more on your mechanics, trigger pull and follow through etc. If you compete at anything you will know how important massive trigger time is.

Another thing about 25yd parallax setting is there is as much as a 20% variance from scope to scope. Some may not focus down any better than 30yds. With a 10yd parallax focus that would be 12 yds.

great point we all love to shoot when we can and where we can as i live in the snowy cold midwest

great point we all love to shoot when we can and where we can as i live in the snowy cold midwest

Yep, me too and we got a foot of snow today and it's 14 degrees..... but I still got 60 rounds in this afternoon after work in my basement range.