Ares ETR 3-18x50 vs. the ATACR 4-20x50: Some thoughts

I decided to put my notes together on these two scopes. Please know that I know this is not a professional review! It is me having fun and trying to work my way through the myriad of qualities and features that the plethora of scopes on the market today offer. The 'review,' if it can generously be called that, is not professional and uneven in treatment.

Here are some preliminary comments. I have had the Ares ETR 3-18x50 for about one year. It has never been mounted. I have the ATACR 4-20 with the MOAR reticle for about two weeks. I probably will not keep the scope, but really do like it. The fit and finish on the ATACR is superb, at least next to what I presently have. Some of you know that I have been after the ultimate in IQ, a big reason I keep trying new mid- to high-end scopes as able.
So, I put the ATACR next to my Ares ETR 3-18 multiple times to try to 'see' the differences. (Yes, I know that the ATACR is three times the money. But the Ares is surprisingly good for the price, and it is among the best I currently have, so that is that.) Viewing repeatedly from 30 out to 100 yards, I eventually started to see some things. Also, both scopes were held in hand on the backrest of a nice leather couch (!), and I was peering through a specially cleaned double-pane picture window. I know, that's not the way to go, but both scopes had to deal with whatever, so I guess it was fair, if not professional--and I am not a professional!

(1) The Ares is as easy or easier to get behind than the ATACR, but the ATACR is not bad.
(2) The ATACR has a thick outer periphery while the Ares has a (pleasingly) thin one. This, I think, relates to point number one.
(3) Next to the ATACR, the Ares has slightly yellowish glass. In my overly simple approach, I was only initially thinking about resolution, so I did not notice this the first several days. I also asked two people who do not know anything about scopes to tell me which glass appeared yellowish. Both said the Ares, which confirmed what I thought my eyes saw. I would never have know the Ares glass had a slight yellow tinge to it unless the ATACR was right there to compare it to. The yellowing has a mildly muting or dulling effect on the entire image, but again, and to me, this was only apparent when I went back and forth with the ATACR; otherwise, the image looked crisp and bright.
(4) The color on the ATACR seems a bit better. It is hard to tell right now because nearly everything around me in NH is grey and somewhat colorless. A robin showed up and the orange on its chest seemed to come in deeper/truer with the ATACR. But I need more colors and a different season to really be convinced of this point, and I know some scopes choose to render color differently.
(5) Most of my comparing was done on a grey clapboard house with white trim and a black roof, and at about 100 yards. The ATACR typically showed less fringing or CA; additionally, the ATACR seemed to better resolve the line/transition between white trim and black roof and the white trim against the grey boards. Sometimes the ATACR had no CA at all, and other times it was minimal, but visible. The Ares was not bad here, but did not consistently (time of day, different magnification, etc.) stack up to the ATACR.
(6) To my eye, with and without mild prescription glasses, I could not say for sure that the ATACR out-resolved the Ares at any distance from 30 to 500 yards. When colors met, as in the house, things were different.
(7) Today I took both scopes for a ride to an open area of town that had a nice lane of about four or five hundred yards to look down. This was great because I was previously limited to 100 yards with all my viewings of all my scopes. I was not so comfortably situated, being in my car, though, but I did get to look through a clean windshield and through an open window fairly well. Both scopes were really good, and again, I was not comfortable enough to make honest calls. Cars were whizzing by, I was twisting and trying to get a stable position, and so on. The Ares performed admirably enough to make the comparison difficult. I did all magnifications from 3 and 4 to 18 and 20, respectively, but positioning the scopes in the car made the higher magnifications difficult to manage. I did accomplish lots of looking from about 6 to 12 magnification. Most people would be pleased with either scope at these magnifications at these distances, I think. Having never looked through any scope at these distances, I was very surprised at how well even lower magnifications worked. Now I know why shooters say their 1-6, 1-8, or 1-10 LPVOs get them to 800 and 1000 yards without trouble. I get it.

Some concluding remarks.
  • Most of my remarks are tentative due to various reasons, such as doing much of the peering through a window (except for today), my very limited experience, and the somewhat haphazard methodology employed. The scopes were viewed through on the same days at the same times, however, so that helps.
  • The Ares seems to be a lot of bang for the buck. It is hard to fault. I wanted the ATACR to be instantly and obviously better than the Ares at all points, but the Ares made me work for distinctions.
  • The ATACR is, of course, the better scope; however, as many point out, there is a law of diminishing returns at work here. The question would be, "Is the ATACR worth three times the price of the ETR?" I will not try to answer that for anyone.
  • I was told by someone from Snipers Hide that the ATACR line varies in IQ. According to this person, here they are in decreasing order of IQ: 7-35, 4-16, 4-20, 5-25. I cannot verify or disprove any of this. But going by this order of quality, the 4-20 is third on a list of four. Now, we must think of quality control, first vs. second focal plane (my ATACR is F1), different pairs of eyes, and whatever. These matters are beyond my knowledge and experience. I have the scope I have.
  • I wish I could better remember the NX8 2.5-20 F1 that I had a couple of months ago or so. I have a better trained eye now, but I cannot retro-apply what I have learned. And besides remembering that I very much liked the scope, I cannot remember IQ particulars well enough, again and in part because I was not thinking of CA, glass color, and so on. I wish (!!) I had one handy to make this a three-way comparison. In fact, I wished I had the 2.5-20 and the 4-32. Oh well.
  • I hope this little 'review' is of value to someone. I am certainly not Glassaholic or C_Does, but it was fun. I would like, God willing, to get some kind of tripod stand or whatever that can support several scopes. This is what the 'big guys' often use.
  • Concerning a couple of different aspects of the scopes, the Ares turret clicks are much crisper and audible than the ATACR's (and the NX8's, for that matter). But I am not sure the Ares has convinced me that louder is better. I like the feel of the ATACR, so I am still thinking about things. From what I remember, the NX8 was right around where the ATACR was, but I cannot recall infallibly. If audible is your thing, the Ares will not likely disappoint. The ATACR illumination was not that easy to use, and the brightness leaves something to be desired. If I recall, the illumination on the NX8 was brighter than the ATACR's (perhaps especially the green mode), and perhaps the button required less force to use. I am not a fan of having to exert undue pressure to move through the range with that button. The Ares seems quite bright.
Well, enjoy, I hope, and go easy on the beginner.
Thanks for reading this tome. S7

Last edited:
Good read. Thanks for taking the time to right it up. For what its worth, I love my ETR. For my personal use I just can't justify spending more than that on a piece of glass. It tracks perfectly as far as I have been able to tell and I can very clearly see what I'm aiming at. The APLR5 with the 0.2 moa open dot center is fantastic. Wish more scopes utilized that

Reactions: Sanctify7
Good read. Thanks for taking the time to right it up. For what its worth, I love my ETR. For my personal use I just can't justify spending more than that on a piece of glass. It tracks perfectly as far as I have been able to tell and I can very clearly see what I'm aiming at. The APLR5 with the 0.2 moa open dot center is fantastic. Wish more scopes utilized that
Thank you. Yes, that Ares is hard not to like. S7

I didn't realize you hadn't mounted that ETR yet. Are you waiting for a high end rifle to put it on?

Yep, diminishing returns is pretty much what it comes down to, that as well as budget along with feature preferences.

Are my expensive scopes superior than my Athlon higher tier scopes??? Well yes in some ways but the Athlon's are darn near as nice in most ways or sometimes superior.
One is I still prefer the turrets feel on my Cronus G2's more than my super expensive scopes but IQ nope not quite, functionality is the same as far as I can tell.

Which scope are you trying out next?

I didn't realize you hadn't mounted that ETR yet. Are you waiting for a high end rifle to put it on?

Yep, diminishing returns is pretty much what it comes down to, that as well as budget along with feature preferences.

Are my expensive scopes superior than my Athlon higher tier scopes??? Well yes in some ways but the Athlon's are darn near as nice in most ways or sometimes superior.
One is I still prefer the turrets feel on my Cronus G2's more than my super expensive scopes but IQ nope not quite, functionality is the same as far as I can tell.

Which scope are you trying out next?
Hi, Steve.

Yes, it is still ‘single.’ I may be putting it on my Crown MK II, replacing the Helix 4-16 FFP. I really like the Helix, despite some negative press, but even a 15-yard parallax is too much for me for ideal indoor shooting. And I would like a 2, 2.5, or 3 on the low end. (The FOV of the Ares seems exceptional; it blows the ATACR away on 4x.)

I know you are an Athlon guy through and through. I almost bought the Helos 2-12, as there are a couple of them in the Classifieds. But I already have more scopes than rifles, and my buying nemesis, ‘restraint’ (!), is making me hold off. But this does not mean that one of those Helos’s will not suddenly disappear.

I copy. One day I would like to look through and handle the Cronus for myself.

I believe you know that Glass said on a Hide thread, that if Athlon came out with a 2-12 Cronus (I believe), it may be the most sought after MPVO. I confess that it would interest me, for sure.

I almost—but not quite—went after a March 2.5-25x42 or 52 recently. Again, ‘restraint’ got the better of me. I would love to see the IQ of the 10-60 HM, and the new and improved 5-42 HM. I would honestly like to see lots of March’s. Also, I have heard little but good to great about the Razor Gen III 6-36. Some reviewers put its IQ next to the TT and ZCO in some regards (Glass, Koshkin), though not all. Speaking of which, I think the ZCO 4-20 is at the top of my list; here is where I will make an exception to my parallax requirements. That this superb scope has, according to Glass, a thin outer periphery, I like it even more.

Since you asked, I would also like to see two other ATACRs especially: the 4-16 and the 7-35. (I was crazy enough to bid on two new 7-35s yesterday, and thankfully lost both bids!) Different parties on the Hide have said that one or the other was the best of the litter.

How about you? What’s cooking in your mind? :)

Take care. S7

Reactions: steve123
Hi, Steve.

Yes, it is still ‘single.’ I may be putting it on my Crown MK II, replacing the Helix 4-16 FFP. I really like the Helix, despite some negative press, but even a 15-yard parallax is too much for me for ideal indoor shooting. And I would like a 2, 2.5, or 3 on the low end. (The FOV of the Ares seems exceptional; it blows the ATACR away on 4x.)

I know you are an Athlon guy through and through. I almost bought the Helos 2-12, as there are a couple of them in the Classifieds. But I already have more scopes than rifles, and my buying nemesis, ‘restraint’ (!), is making me hold off. But this does not mean that one of those Helos’s will not suddenly disappear.

I copy. One day I would like to look through and handle the Cronus for myself.

I believe you know that Glass said on a Hide thread, that if Athlon came out with a 2-12 Cronus (I believe), it may be the most sought after MPVO. I confess that it would interest me, for sure.

I almost—but not quite—went after a March 2.5-25x42 or 52 recently. Again, ‘restraint’ got the better of me. I would love to see the IQ of the 10-60 HM, and the new and improved 5-42 HM. I would honestly like to see lots of March’s. Also, I have heard little but good to great about the Razor Gen III 6-36. Some reviewers put its IQ next to the TT and ZCO in some regards (Glass, Koshkin), though not all. Speaking of which, I think the ZCO 4-20 is at the top of my list; here is where I will make an exception to my parallax requirements. That this superb scope has, according to Glass, a thin outer periphery, I like it even more.

Since you asked, I would also like to see two other ATACRs especially: the 4-16 and the 7-35. (I was crazy enough to bid on two new 7-35s yesterday, and thankfully lost both bids!) Different parties on the Hide have said that one or the other was the best of the litter.

How about you? What’s cooking in your mind? :)

Take care. S7

Nothing much lately but possibly another MPVO later if Athlon comes up with a Cronus grade.

I wasn't overly impressed with a friends NF 7-35 and haven't been behind the NF4-16 but people seem to like both.

Nothing much lately but possibly another MPVO later if Athlon comes up with a Cronus grade.

I wasn't overly impressed with a friends NF 7-35 and haven't been behind the NF4-16 but people seem to like both.
Okay. Most are impressed with the NF 7-35, but either you did not have a good one in front of you (probably not the case), or your eye has been spoiled by the top stuff.
S7

As I reread your post, Sqwirl57, I want to say I have the APLR6 MOA reticle with the open crosshairs. It is fine, but I think I like the dot better. S7

Okay. Most are impressed with the NF 7-35, but either you did not have a good one in front of you (probably not the case), or your eye has been spoiled by the top stuff.
S7

Yeah I've alluded to that before in posts. Sample of one that a friend owned with Cronus grade IQ in a $3100 scope, but everything else was nice, however I still love Cronus G2 turrets better than the rest of the nicer scopes I've handled.
I've also alluded to my feeling that NF doesn't offer the bang for the buck I look for. March hasn't either and so far only the Genesis has had super nice IQ of those I've owned.

Yeah I've alluded to that before in posts. Sample of one that a friend owned with Cronus grade IQ in a $3100 scope, but everything else was nice, however I still love Cronus G2 turrets better than the rest of the nicer scopes I've handled.
I've also alluded to my feeling that NF doesn't offer the bang for the buck I look for. March hasn't either and so far only the Genesis has had super nice IQ of those I've owned.
I understand. Other people have said that about NF. I am assuming you have read those two charts March has put out, which, among other things, rank the image quality of their own scopes. And in other articles on March’s site, they seem to readily admit where they made compromises in IQ for the sake of other features: length, weight, FOV, and so on. If we have already talked about this, sorry about the redundancy. And I know you are aware of these matters. Again, I have forgotten if you mentioned this anywhere: Have you looked through the Razor Gen III 6-36 yet? I know it is heavy, but for a stable setup, it seems to be close to the top dog for its street price. I would be interested in your opinion. I am also worrying less and less about weight, and more and more about parallax distance. I don’t shoot very much offhand at all, so I have come to realize that weight is not that big of a deal, and from the bench, can be an asset. S7

I understand. Other people have said that about NF. I am assuming you have read those two charts March has put out, which, among other things, rank the image quality of their own scopes. And in other articles on March’s site, they seem to readily admit where they made compromises in IQ for the sake of other features: length, weight, FOV, and so on. If we have already talked about this, sorry about the redundancy. And I know you are aware of these matters. Again, I have forgotten if you mentioned this anywhere: Have you looked through the Razor Gen III 6-36 yet? I know it is heavy, but for a stable setup, it seems to be close to the top dog for its street price. I would be interested in your opinion. I am also worrying less and less about weight, and more and more about parallax distance. I don’t shoot very much offhand at all, so I have come to realize that weight is not that big of a deal, and from the bench, can be an asset. S7
No I haven't looked the G3 Razor yet but I got close to buying one from Liberty Optics. Thank God I didn't go through with that because I would have had to go the debacle due to Scott shafting most that ordered them when he had them on sale.

Last edited:
No I haven't looked the a G3 Razor yet but I got close to buying one from Liberty Optics. Thank God I didn't go through with that because I would have had to go the debacle due to Scott shafting most that ordered them when he had them on sale.
So, Steve, describe this "shafting" so the rest of us know not to buy from the "Shafter"...

No I haven't looked the a G3 Razor yet but I got close to buying one from Liberty Optics. Thank God I didn't go through with that because I would have had to go the debacle due to Scott shafting most that ordered them when he had them on sale.
Ah. I seem to recall such a problem. Thankfully, you missed it, yes. S7

Thank you for the review. I give credit to anyone that does honest and unbiased scope reviews. They're not easy to do. It's good that you did the comparisons on the same day and time. That's the way it should be done. It's hard, even for me, to remember what a scope's IQ looked like over a month ago without comparing it side by side to another.

Reactions: Sanctify7