• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Are you new to deer hunting?

Not necessarily a new hunter, i just suck at it, in the shape i am in. Lol. I can shoot pretty much anything, if i see it. Powder burner is stupid easy when its a 200yd shot, but definitely going to have to get closer with air, almost bow range.
thats why i got into airguns .. somethings if i know the gun can do it ill 100 yards but most are around 50 or so

Planning to get out for my first Airgun deer hunt with this 457 Texan and some 350 grain Neilson HP BT rounds. Running a Hawke side winder.
I was sighting it in at 75 yards with a different brand large hollow point and would get 2 shots on topic eachother and the 3rd was a flier happened 6-8 times so those are going on a shelf. Need to get out to the farm to try these Neilsons out for accuracy

20220215_133229.jpg

Reactions: Scotay42
Honestly I’m looking to buy my first air rifle and kinda a “do all”. My buddy has a .30 cal fx maverick sniper. I’m wondering if a .25 will have close to same ballistics
Would a .25 cal get the job done? Close range. Under 40yards? Or would a .30 be better? I’m very new to air rifles.
@FNG Bigbore If you’re considering purchasing an airgun to hunt with, I suggest familiarizing yourself with hunting laws regarding airguns. Here’s is a thread with good information to serve as an introduction to various airgun hunting laws. The linked resources organize the information by state.

@Cheplicki I’m new to hunting deer. I see them frequently. I have observed and have gotten familiar certain groups and their habits. I’d like to understand the deer hunter’s selection process. How do you determine which one you wish to shoot? I haven’t seen many bucks over the past year. I can recall 3, I spotted two spikes recently and a pretty decent sized buck in the brush in a clear-cut area last year when I was scouting for predators. I’m usually seeing antlerless deer and fawns. A lot of guys seem to go for trophies. I want a couple for the freezer. Any decent advice here from experienced deer hunters would be welcomed. Feeders are popular here, I’m not too enthusiastic about using one.

Reactions: Cheplicki
Trying to find the right buck is more of a process for a hunter then filling the freezer.. just for food I'd find the main the largest group of does and take the biggest one.. then move to the next group. This will help bring down the doe population.. does will push out the bucks so less does could help bring in more bucks

Reactions: Ezana4CE
@Cheplicki We aren’t short on does. Thanks Anything in particular to look out for health wise? Also there is one group that I shoot airguns around frequent enough so I expect them to be familiar with the sounds. How do they generally tend to react to the report of a big bore without a moderator once they’ve been hunted with them?

I’ve been working with some unmoderated Bulldogs this year. Also I’m looking to hunt from ground level. I have some slugs that group pretty well where I send them from within 50 yards.

@Cheplicki We aren’t short on does. Thanks Anything in particular to look out for health wise? Also there is one group that I shoot airguns around frequent enough so I expect them to be familiar with the sounds. How do they generally tend to react to the report of a big bore without a moderator once they’ve been hunted with them?

I’ve been working with some unmoderated Bulldogs this year. Also I’m looking to hunt from ground level. I have some slugs that group pretty well where I send them from within 50 yards.
If there walking around fine and look good then you should be ok .. check your liver and lungs for any spots or infections.. as for the sound the deer here still don't seem to understand it.. It Don't have the super sonic crack so most the time after I shoot they will come walking back.. I have personally found that with a suppressor if the shot is good most deer only run about 20-30 yards and lay down.. i started airgunning with a bulldog I don't see you having any problems at 50 yards as long as you do your part 😉

I've killed a couple deer with my bow shortly after shooting squirrels with my PCP. It's not quite as loud as the big deer bangers. But it's pretty much the same sound. They didn't seem to mind the noise at all. In fact, I almost wonder if the pop got their attention, then the squirrels rustling around brough them over.

@Cheplicki Just about all of what you told me was good information. Thank you. I didn’t have the opportunity to get out much, but I was able to bag one for the freezer. I estimate it was between 95-110lbs. Seated on the ground from 45-50 yards hit high on the shoulder got a double lung pass through with no blood trail.

Reactions: Scotay42