• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Are you kidding me?! Air guns ARE REAL GUNS!!!

try a 50 yards competition with him lol 
1f609.svg

And hope he doesn’t challenge your toy to a 500 yard competition.

A gun is a weapon designed to pneumatically discharge solid projectiles but can also be liquid (as in water guns/cannons and projected water disruptors) or even charged particles (as in a plasma gun) and may be free-flying (as with bullets and artillery shells) or tethered (as with Taser guns, spearguns and harpoon guns).

The means of projectile propulsion vary according to designs, but are traditionally effected by a high gas pressure contained within a shooting tube (gun barrel), produced either through the rapid combustion of propellants (as with firearms), or by mechanical compression (as with air guns). The high-pressure gas is introduced behind the projectile, accelerating it down the length of the tube, imparting sufficient launch velocity to sustain its further travel towards the target once the propelling gas ceases acting upon it at the end of the tube. Alternatively, acceleration via electromagnetic field generation may be employed, in which case the shooting tube may be substituted by guide rails (as in railguns) or wrapped with magnetic coils (as in coilguns).

The first devices identified as guns appeared in China from around CE 1000. By the 12th century, the technology was spreading through the rest of Asia, and into Europe by the 13th century.

Okay here is how I define a “toy vs a tool”, and to me air guns are tools, not toys. So maybe I can change your mind.

Toys are meant for amusement and educate and tools are where you combined former in to real world application, in air rifle application they are designed for target shooting and hunting. This is toy vs tool applies from the .177 Daisy Rider to a Air Force .45 cal Texan. The former can be used for target or hunting, depending on your reality of scope and rationality, toys can not.

So did I change your mind????

Okay here is how I define a “toy vs a tool”, and to me air guns are tools, not toys. So maybe I can change your mind.

Toys are meant for amusement and educate and tools are where you combined former in to real world application, in air rifle application they are designed for target shooting and hunting. This is toy vs tool applies from the .177 Daisy Rider to a Air Force .45 cal Texan. The former can be used for target or hunting, depending on your reality of scope and rationality, toys can not.

So did I change your mind????

I guess you don't know the real meaning of toy. A toy can be anything that a person enjoy playing with. My 500 s&w is my favorite toy to play with. 

In my circle, I'm kind of known as the gun (powder burner) guy. When I bump into friends, they always ask "Anything new?" I always tell them that I've slowed down and haven't purchased anything of interest and they end up having this shocked look on their faces. Little do they know and I don't mind keeping it that way.

Absolutely, firearm guys are the definition of hoarding and panic buying. I keep my mouth shut also. We don't need that any worse than it already is.

Airguns are weak.I get XYZ foot pounds out of my... My bullet flies faster than bla bla bla.You cannot defend yourself with an airgun...

I have heard all of this macho talk.

But the truth is, that most of us shoot paper targets or plink. A .44 magnum to punch paper? A .338 LM to shoot at a 100 meters? Really? A .454 Casull, for that fantasy bear that will never attack you? Powerful powder burners can often be had for very little money second hand... Also, how many citizens are capable of and or have actually successfully defended themselves with a firearm? Self defense is so over rated. I have noticed that most (not all) owners of firearms do not actually shoot all that much.

In 4.5 and 5.5 you can get laser accuracy up to 50 meters for very little $$. Airguns very effectively and efficiently dispatch small game and pests. Dead = dead, whether you hit the animal with 12ftlb or 12000.

Even in .22 LR, you need to pay if you want accuracy.

But then again, I do swing both ways when it comes to guns. Many people at the range wonder, where I get my shooting skills from ( from practicing at home an air gun)

You broke one of rules of owning an airgun.

"Thou shall not discuss airguns with those who do not own one without rebuke"

I've been down that road soooooo many times like what you've described. I won't discuss AG's unless they bring it up. Even then I speak little about them. Like they are only found in Area 54. 

I've never even discussed them with the people I work with. I don't feel I need to explain myself. The less they know the smarter I am.

The friends, neighbors, and relatives who aren't repelled are frightened, and the ones who aren't repelled and/or frightened are jealous. And they're all of them gossipy, which is bad on another level. You can't win. So I'm keeping it quiet. Heck, I bought a moderator before I even bought a gun.

I think you might be surrounded by some crazy people there my friend. I’m only person in my family who has any interest in these things but at least they don’t give me the hard time they’re giving you!

I definitely emphasize safety and ways in which pallets are different from bullets in the much lower velocities and pressures that are associated with them if it ever does come up. It’s interesting to explain to people how the Diablo pellet is basically the result of an attempt to make a “safer” bullet because of its low ballistic coefficient, etc. Well it may not have been intended for that (?) but that’s what it works out to be.

I have many friends that can’t find bullets right now. A lot of places are sold out of the common calibers and many online retailers are price gouging. I may not be shooting my power burners either but I’m still shooting my pellet guns. And trigger time is trigger time as far as I’m concerned

This was a huge attraction for me too, but now I'm not finding pellets at the usual suspects for weeks, like Walmart, Bimart, Big 5, etc. Walmart tells me any pellets they get in are gone the same day, the way it was around here for years with .22's. So the panic hoarding has extended beyond centerfire and rimfire and into pellets too now. At least in some places. Even Amazon has regularly found itself out of pellets. Some of mine, common brands, have taken weeks or nearly a month to come. Anyway, we can't count on pellets being our secret fun/pesting/hunting thingy anymore. The word is out.