Are you a tuner , just love sending lead only or bit of both?

I own a leshiy2 I bought from Francisco. He tuned it before he shipped it. I only shoot it since I purchased it a couple years ago. Not that I'm afraid to but it shoots perfectly the way he set it. As the saying goes, if it isn't broke don't fix it. On the other hand, I also own an Impact M3 and have tuned it (or adjusted it) to shoot slugs and then re-adjusted it back to shooting pellets as most my shooting is 50-60 yards on paper, and they are more economical and use less air to shoot. Guess that makes me a little of both.

Reactions: fishing43
I’m not sure. I prefer to just go and shoot and will work on smaller problems but for more serious issues, I know a guy.😁 Don’t get me wrong, I can fix your Learjet, photograph your daughters wedding and I once rebuilt a small block Chevy in my kitchen because that’s what kitchens are for. Don’t tell my wife. When it comes to shooting though, it’s not what I know, it’s who I know.

Rick H.

With Motörhead setting the standard for tuning I am loathe to call myself a tuner. I am a tinker kind of person.
The entire reason I shoot FX is because I can monkey around with different projectiles, different settings and come up with what works for me.
I came over from the PB world and was a handloader. Having an FX allows me much the same process. Select a projectile and see what you can do with it. Instead of different primers, powders, charge weights, cases, case lengths etc. It is plenum pressure, hammer adjustments, valve knobs, liners etc.
Same game, different playground.

Tuner, tuner to the core of my being.

As soon as I get my rifle shooting with something really good, I find some new pellet\slug and start again...... and again.

Not big into competition shooting, rarely hunting, just want to be alone on the range with some new projectile trying to find a sweet spot in my rifle. I enjoy the 'science' of ballistics and how my rifle works. Also enjoy long range 'airgunning', 250m plus as a challenge, this results in me favoring slugs.

Keeps me occupied, out of trouble and out of the bar!!

I have a long list of projectiles with tunes that work for my rifle in varying degrees and some that are plain terrible......

Waiting for stock of new JSB weights to arrive as well as the fabled FX Halo's, can't wait to see what I can get them to do.

Reactions: rcs9250
I am just a shooter . tuning is done by others . i have no interest in tuning or learning to tune . I am retired .
I am sorta with you on my springers. But I am a competitor. I enjoy shooting matches. I also enjoy competing against 100yds of conditions with my D54 to shoot a 1 inch or smaller 5 shot group. I am close. This summer should close the deal.

I would call myself a tinkerer. Once I find what I think is the best pellet, stock, tune, and get the gun set up for my preferred bipod and monopod I tend to leave it alone, at least for awhile. Of the 4 regulated PCPs I've owned for more than a couple weeks only one has not had it's regulator changed. I also enjoyed making stocks for 3 of the 4 regulated ones and the one unregulated one. I have long arms and big hands so normal stocks do not fit me very well. I also enjoyed making and now using my height and elevation adjustable monopod. Another way of saying I like to mess with things. I do not want to pay somebody else to do what I think needs done, I want to do it myself. Not because I can necessarily do it better but because I know I will learn something in the process.

This is the extent of my tuning :) it’s like the IN N OUT menu. 4 items. Don’t need a million combinations of tune. Just need my pellet going roughly the same speed at a squirrels face.

IMG_0280.jpeg

Reactions: fishing43
You left out some...and I am probably as well.

Airgunners can be categorized as one or many of the following:

Paper shooters/Plinkers
Competition shooters / F&T+BR
Hunters/Pesters
Tinkerers
Tuners
Researchers
Designers/Developers
Manufacturers/Producers
Collectors
Youtuber
Hobbyist

I am a researching hobbyist who shoots mostly paper and likes to tinker with, and tune my own rifles, who has dabbled in design/development, manufactured a few mods. I don't hunt or pest for fun, only as needed and really haven't a need, nor do I shoot competitively because imo that requires a lot of time/dedication into honing your skills, rifle, projectiles, time that is often consumed by my other interests in pcps.

I still get giddy when I witness how accurate pcp's can be, resulting in one ragged hole when shot in near perfect conditions.

-Matt

Reactions: beerthief
A bit of both. I'm an inveterate tinkerer, so I have to mess with *something* - but I have a few guns that I use for a lot of my experimentation. And some others that I just won't touch. If I get a gun that shoots well, I just don't monkey with it, even though the temptation is there. I bought a used R5M (from a member here) - I think he said it was tuned, but not by him. Whatever the case, it just shoots incredibly for me, so I'm afraid to touch it. This isn't because I'm afraid of the mechanism - I do the same with guns I've tuned. Sometimes, when you hit that 'magic' spot you just don't want to risk accidentally changing something you didn't know you changed...

GsT

Reactions: Firewalker
A bit of both. I'm an inveterate tinkerer, so I have to mess with *something* - but I have a few guns that I use for a lot of my experimentation. And some others that I just won't touch. If I get a gun that shoots well, I just don't monkey with it, even though the temptation is there. I bought a used R5M (from a member here) - I think he said it was tuned, but not by him. Whatever the case, it just shoots incredibly for me, so I'm afraid to touch it. This isn't because I'm afraid of the mechanism - I do the same with guns I've tuned. Sometimes, when you hit that 'magic' spot you just don't want to risk accidentally changing something you didn't know you changed...

GsT

Me to. I've got a few that I'll never touch unless they leak.

Reactions: GeneT
I haven't had the pleasure of owning a gun not needing a tweak here or there for either a minor or a major improvement, I am sure such guns exist even more so when bought second hand and already receiving treatment be it from the original owner or a tuner. Especially 5+ years ago when basically all guns came exhibiting pronounced hammer bounce which needed remedied...lots of advancements in the recent years. The FX Impact went through a lot of changes over the years which was solid proof that to keep up with the pace of the industry existing guns/platforms needed tweaking...

-Matt