Are you a tuner , just love sending lead only or bit of both?

1. Are you a big time tuner who loves those knobs, gauges and dials?

2. Are you a just let me shoot air gunner?

3. Are you a little bit of both?

I will tell you what I am. I’m a little bit of both kinda. Please keep those knobs dials and gauges away from me. I’m the one knob tuner like on my Leishy 2. I just set to 850-880 and I don’t touch a thing anymore. Ground squirrels don’t complain. All my guns are simple pcps. I feel like we create unnecessary leaks by touching everything

I’m a tuner in the broad sense who is good at testing but still pretty terrible at PCP tuning. And yet I have some guns that I just shoot - I have two that were last touched by AZ so I can only mess those up until they truly need work.

Tuning is on my list of things to dive more deeply into but this year I’m focused on the barrels and pellets.

Reactions: PasadenaMike
I probably send almost as many pellets over the chrono as I do down the range but I don’t consider myself a tuner, I am just trying to get my gun to be as consistent, efficient and quiet as possible, only then I start shooting groups.

I live in the uk so I need to get my guns to shoot accurately within the legal power limit, so testing with velocity is not really an option. My testing is simple, once I have the gun working as close to the limit and as consistent throughout the full charge as I can, I just try numerous different sizes, makes and weights of pellets to see whichever give the best accuracy. that’s all my tuning done.

Bb

I started with FX Wildcat, Crown Continuum and an Impact right after covid ammo rape. I switched to PCP’s for plinking and small game/pesting. Initially, because I sold a couple PB’s and ALL my reloading components and equipment, I thought that I could get into the easy adjustability of FX airguns that it would sorta replicate handloading for PB’s, especially with retirement on the horizon. I ended up selling all the FX’s because I really didn’t want to spend the time tinkering as they shot outstanding out to the fifty yards I dabble in. Ended up buying a .22 Evol and a .30 Paradigm. They’re of course tuneable but not as easy as FX’s but Tom tunes them so they excel right out of the box. So I plink and hunt with really no desire to tune. Same goes for my HFT500, it is incredible right out of the box.

I am a big fan of tuning anything and everything I get my hands on. Engines, electronics, guns, you name it.

It can be a great creative outlet. New ideas, concepts, understanding is formed. New skills, experience. Sometimes even relationships and collaboration. End result Ideally being one that is more refined, more enjoyable, and better performing.

There also tends to be an increase in value and appreciation for the item.

During this whole process, normally there is a lot of shooting. And once completed (if that can ever be true), you have something that is better suited physically, proportionally, better balanced, more responsive, more idealistically performing in regards to your own needs and preferences.

At which point, theoretically, the whole thing, shooting included, is more enjoyable.

Unless you just have an itch to tune things, and start a new project instead 🤣

OP,
It reads as if question is more do you like turning and twisting knobs & screws ? as to per-say "Tuning" or more accurately "Adjusting" over just pick up and shoot it as is simplicity :cautious:

True "Tuning" generally goes well beyond just simple adjustments of the miens provided by the manufacturer .. Kinda

Myself a TUNER getting down & dirty to an airguns inner most details & design to improve & modify because I can.

OP,
It reads as if question is more do you like turning and twisting knobs & screws ? as to per-say "Tuning" or more accurately "Adjusting" over just pick up and shoot it as is simplicity :cautious:

True "Tuning" generally goes well beyond just simple adjustments of the miens provided by the manufacturer .. Kinda

Myself a TUNER getting down & dirty to an airguns inner most details & design to improve & modify because I can.
Hey Scott yeah if I change the title it might throw people off now lol. You are absolutely correct it should’ve been worded differently:) tuning and knobs give me anxiety lol set, forget and grease ground squirrels. Simple :)

I'm both. I try and let a few pellets fly every day, but I don't tinker every day.

I have guns I like to mess with, and guns I like to leave alone.

I have discovered I like tuning an affordable PCP much more than a higher dollar rifle. I went down the path with a FX Maverick. Sold it because I was tuning more than shooting. Now my current project is a Bullshark I bought in pieces. I've had a great time working on it.

Reactions: Dairyboy
OP,

This^^^^^

I am tinkerer… I tinker just enough so I can shoot. I feel a Tuner title should be reserved for professionals.