Are we worried about future restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a few states already have restrictions or consider them no different than a firearm, it's only a matter of time, especially with the direction airguns have headed in the last few years.

Am I worried? Nope.

-Matt

I'm concerned now that the slug craze is on that or air rifles get classified as firearms

Not all slugs present the same down range safety concerns as a firearm.

A small caliber slug with a BC over 0.075-0.08 can be a pretty effective long range small pest eliminator, while still only being shot with a muzzle velocity of 30ish fpe. Most of that is lost in whatever it contacts first, (hopefully the ground if the critter is missed).

In contrast, starting at about a .22/30grain going 950+ fps, and it might as well be a rimfire. With that small change we've doubled the fpe, and gotten lots closer to rimfire power levels. So I see your point when it comes to how MOST seem to be employing slugs.

"Not all slugs present the same down range safety concerns as a firearm"

Readers of this forum, and other forums know that. The issue is folks not into shooting sports DO NOT know the difference, and nor do they care. All they see is a thing that looks wayyy too much like an AR15 and then the calls for regulation will begin.

If as mentioned, you start talking to them about BC's, FPE etc, they will just glaze over, worse, use that info to help craft the regulations

I could maybe see an FAC provision like Great Britain. But very difficult to police. Personally I wouldn’t mess with violating anything, 1. Because I’m a law abiding citizen. And 2. Because I don’t want to lose my right to possess such items.
Having had access to metal working equipment for my entire working life, I never once had any desire to make a suppressor illegally for a PB.

Reactions: pan60
In some states politicians are trying to restrict airguns not because they see their evolution or because they are worried that they will be used for criminal mischief but because they want to stamp out gun culture, period! Their view is that airguns are for kids and that if you make it impossible for those kids to get into the sport you are one step closer to having ownership and interest in guns die a slow death with the old generation.

Yes, I’m very worried about the push for new restrictions on airguns. Not just from the perspective of a paper puncher but from the social engineering that is being attempted by our overlords. I’ve asked other folks about this. The typical answer is: “so what, I have my stash” or “they won’t bother to take pellet guns”. Well, it’s not about you and your stash, it’s about the end game… the ignorance and lack of action by my “fellow” airgunners is maddening. I feel like I’m the only one swimming against the current. How hard is it to make a phone call or write a letter saying you won’t vote for them and will donate to the opposition if they continue with their antics? Apparently too hard for most…

End rant.

-Marty

"Not all slugs present the same down range safety concerns as a firearm"

Readers of this forum, and other forums know that. The issue is folks not into shooting sports DO NOT know the difference, and nor do they care. All they see is a thing that looks wayyy too much like an AR15 and then the calls for regulation will begin.

If as mentioned, you start talking to them about BC's, FPE etc, they will just glaze over, worse, use that info to help craft the regulations

I was trying to make the point that slugs aren't the beginning of the end for airguns as we know it.

Same as you mention that BC and FPE shouldn't be used to craft regulations, lumping ALL air propelled slugs with firearms is a road we don't want to see them go down.

We can always find something to worry about; is the weather going to be terrible, is my commute to work be impeded by traffic issues, is my blood pressure going to be ok at my next physical? Sure, there are going to be obstacles along the way , but it's just fine right now. Enjoy the moment and worry when you need too. Shoot your airguns until someone says "you can't do that here"......... :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.