• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Are they coming?...Low velocity (under 800 FPS) / expandable slugs?

Okay, we have all seen countless videos and posts on the results people are getting with modern slugs, so we don’t need to rehash it.

What I am curious about is some of the recent videos showing slugs being accurate at low velocities, aka under 800 FPS.

However, my question is. Does anyone know if anyone has or is, designing slugs that are both designed to be accurate AND effectively expand below 800 FPS? And, I am thinking more in the mid-lower 700 FPS with a focus is .177 and .22 calibers.

Yes, I know there is the weight / velocity etc etc issues blah blah. Just where there is a will there is generally a way!

ALSO, do you think there would be a market for such a slug?

I think of course there would be a market for it for many locations where are you do have power restrictions. 

on one YouTube video a JSB rep talked about the new Knock-outs And you had to treat slugs like you were there 22 rimfire for down range safety. I’m thinking more a slug that would open up and buck the wind a bit better at pellet ranges. 

My brains been working on a diet design to possibly modify some Nielsen or similar like Waze slugs so they expand at lower velocities

All of my slug guns can shoot slugs accurately under 800fps. I think the whole speed thing is guys just trying to get a slug to shoot out of a barrel that isn’t designed to shoot slugs. Expansion under 800fps is going to rely almost solely on pure lead content. They would make it harder to keep your barrel clean and definitely not as easy to mass produce. A guy who makes his own slugs could do it.

I am shooting 12.5 grain nsa slugs from FX barrels accurately at about 760fps and have not issues with accuracy down to 720 FPS. I was rather surprised by the results give the twist rate isn’t optimal but obviously works. 

Biggest factor like @vetmx said is barrel. Most pellet barrels will not have enough twist rate to shoot slugs especially at low speed. Fortunately FX’s superior heavy in .22 will have enough twist rate to shoot even below 700FPS using most light to medium weight slugs. For expansion your best bet is hybrid slugs in superior heavy barrel. 

Blackpaw, you have a interesting thread, I am new to the pcp world and I am wandering the same thing. I have a Benjamin Marauder f and T with the Lothar Walther barrel, in 22 cal. My question would be could it handle the NSA 17 grain slug. with that choked barrel. It shoots the JSB 15.89 very well and the JSB 18.3 so so. The velocity is around 770. Sadly I have to wait till I get the gun back from Crosman to do any playing. They are working on a velocity regulator problem.

Okay, we have all seen countless videos and posts on the results people are getting with modern slugs, so we don’t need to rehash it.

What I am curious about is some of the recent videos showing slugs being accurate at low velocities, aka under 800 FPS.

However, my question is. Does anyone know if anyone has or is, designing slugs that are both designed to be accurate AND effectively expand below 800 FPS? And, I am thinking more in the mid-lower 700 FPS with a focus is .177 and .22 calibers.

Yes, I know there is the weight / velocity etc etc issues blah blah. Just where there is a will there is generally a way!

ALSO, do you think there would be a market for such a slug?

I just did a test a few weeks ago with some ballistic gel to demonstrate how slugs expand at lower velocities! Check it out and see what expands and what doesn’t here the link 

https://youtu.be/3U4rYx5G4Tg

Thanks for the video and I did learn from hit. Maybe something at sub 700 would be nice too. I am very interested in some of the stuff coming up with the .177 slugs. I know some people love the FX hybrids, but honestly for them to open up and energy dump, they need o be smoking. The Javvilens did better.

I compare some slugs at low velocities like ball ammo for firearms, they punch through doing little damage.

Also, I am impressed with the work you did on the test and video.

Can you see what the Javelins & VKnockers below 700 FPS? You have already created a baseline. I am just thinking...how low can you go.

Thanks for the video and I did learn from hit. Maybe something at sub 700 would be nice too. I am very interested in some of the stuff coming up with the .177 slugs. I know some people love the FX hybrids, but honestly for them to open up and energy dump, they need o be smoking. The Javvilens did better.

I compare some slugs at low velocities like ball ammo for firearms, they punch through doing little damage.

Also, I am impressed with the work you did on the test and video.

Can you see what the Javelins & VKnockers below 700 FPS? You have already created a baseline. I am just thinking...how low can you go.

I’ll shoot some into the gel and get back to you here with the results! Give me a day or so and I’ll post the results 

NSA makes a 17.5 grain 22 caliber slug I am interested in for my Brocock Bantam Hi Lite.

Just have to figure out which diameter fits best.

What I like about NSA slugs (.22): 😄

🔷Nick offers us not 2 or 3 but 5 (five!) different diameters so you can find a slug that works. 

At c. 5 cents a shot. 👍🏼

🔷And Nick offers samplers that allow you to test 6 different weights at 3 different diameters. 8 cents a shot (pack of 240 total, from the retailers only).

🔷And Nick offers sample packs that allow you to test any one slug, in any of the 6 weights (in .22), in any of the 5 diameters (pack of 40, only directly from NSA). 12 cents a shot.

This is by far the most shooter-friendly arrangement I have ever seen — period.

Cf. a .22 cal Slug Table attached below.

Matthias

❌ Attachment: Slug Table

download.png
View attachment SLUG Table. 053. 2020-11. TABLE.1617581035.pdf

Nation, 

I haven't posted in this section for a while, been cooped up indoors for the winter.

My main endeavor for my Field Target exploits, is, to get a slug to work at sub 12ftlb velocities. So far, the results are promising, but still not up to my accuracy standards for Field Target use.

My best performing slug so far, is a 9.25 grain 2S hollowpoint slug, with a cup base. I got decent accuracy and results in the wind out of my TM1000, at around 750 FPS.

20200822_123133.1617587475.jpg

This was done at 55 yards, in a brisk wind gusting up to 15 mph. The 2 lone shots to the right, high and low, I shanked.....my bad. The shots to the left were taken as the wind kicked up on purpose, just to see how far they would drift. A JSB in the same wind would be almost 10 more inches to the left, so the wind bucking abilities of my slugs do have promise. This was a group of over 40 shots, and that is a US quarter for reference. 

You can check out my YouTube channel, Field Target Tech, and my website at Fieldtargettech.com, to see more content on my slug endeavors 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com