Are these considered slugs?

I am wondering if I can breach load longer pellets in my Evanix Max .357 and is this a slug or a pellet? Thank you.

Screenshot_20220930-211950_Samsung Internet.jpg

So what's the difference between a bullet and a slug? Is there a slug for weapons that also shoot diabolo/pellets possibly? And a bullet for big bores? I think that line is starting to blur. Slugs are usually made with a press technique and bullets are cast by machine or by hand. Those are bullets to me 😂😂
Well, it won't be too precise....
My own interpretation is that a pellet is designed to lose velocity quickly and is used more for shorter distances.

A slug can be used at those shorter distances, but because of the higher ballistic coefficient and sectional density, can be used accurately at much longer distances. However, they are more prone to pass-through at shorter distances. That is the reason why pellets and airguns because popular. IMHO They are safer for short range (up to 50+ yards) shooting.

In a nutshell, the Diabolo pellet is designed to be safer for shorter distances and slugs (in airguns) are designed for distances that a Diabolo pellet either can't reach or will not be accurate if it can.

Pellets are also safer for some situations... like mine. See my signature. (smile)

JMHO YMMV

Last edited:
I meant that, if we remember, like (?) 7 years ago there probably wasn't Zan, NSA, Knockout,H&N, etc. slugs.
There were pellets and cast bullets.

There might have been some lead lumps of the intermediate model, but no slugs in that form as now
My bad... just reread the post I replied to and you did say "So what's the difference between a bullet and a slug?"

Well, there is essentially no difference, except that one is designed and made for airguns and the other is designed and made for PB.

There are differences because one is being pushed simply by compressed air (cool) and the other is being pushed by an explosion (hot).

Yes, a few years ago, you didn't hear much about slugs for airguns. Well, technology changes many things over time. (grin)

Like it or not, accept it as it will always be thus. (smile)

Or did I misread your post(s) again? (chuckle)

Yeah slug is kind of being used as a lose term for bullets in my younger days when someone would say slug I think of basically a big hunk of lead for a shot gun that doesn't look like a bullet at all
Yeah, when I was a kid and you said "slug", the first thing I thought of was my shotgun. However, I am not sure if it is fair to qualify/quantify airgun slugs as "bullets"?

The negative connotations alone make me cringe. And eventually, the 3 letter organization(s) will push to regulate airguns like they do PB even though they don't have that authority... at least for now.

Reactions: Airgunmann
Or did I misread your post(s) again? (chuckle)
No don't think so... my english is not very good so my explanations may be vague.
Just a note on the first post in this thread. If it had been sent before slugs entered the market, I believe that the Air Venturi products in the first post would have been called bullets. And I would call them bullets. But that's just my opinion 😁

No don't think so... my english is not very good so my explanations may be vague.
Just a note on the first post in this thread. If it had been sent before slugs entered the market, I believe that the Air Venturi products in the first post would have been called bullets. And I would call them bullets. But that's just my opinion 😁

Well, for me, a slug and bullet are two different things with a similar, but not exactly the same, component. And that is the projectile, although pellets are another entirely different thing.

The slug is the projectile, and there the similarity ends. The bullet, IMHO, is a "round" which includes a case or casing, primer, powder and projectile incompassed in a singular unit that you load into a PB. But they are not the same as a slug and "bullet" is not synonymous with slug, especially when it comes to airguns. Maybe it is the language difference...? I don't know.

And as Forrest Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that...".

Last edited:
Yeah, when I was a kid and you said "slug", the first thing I thought of was my shotgun. However, I am not sure if it is fair to qualify/quantify airgun slugs as "bullets"?

The negative connotations alone make me cringe. And eventually, the 3 letter organization(s) will push to regulate airguns like they do PB even though they don't have that authority... at least for now.
Of course they will because Americans have become complacent and if something involves a sacrifice they won't do it. If people aren't willing to fight for their rights they will (as we see happening)be lost, guaranteed. Glad I'll be dead of old age in around thirty years or less if civil war breaks out. Because who but a weak minded person would want to live as a slave. The time to stand against Tyranny is past due.

Of course they will because Americans have become complacent and if something involves a sacrifice they won't do it. If people aren't willing to fight for their rights they will (as we see happening)be lost, guaranteed. Glad I'll be dead of old age in around thirty years or less if civil war breaks out. Because who but a weak minded person would want to live as a slave. The time to stand against Tyranny is past due.
I understand what you are saying and totally agree, but you need to learn to choose who and when to fight.

If I had my way, there would be a subscription only political sub-forum on AGN. But, I don't own AGN. So, I'll leave you with that idea and try not to get banned here as I did on GTA. (smile)

Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk politics. Sounds like you and I probably agree on a lot of issues.

Better leave it at that... (smile)

BTW, "three letter organization(s)" is not what I wrote. I named the tyrants. The forum AI/Software replaced my naming of a 3 letter Alphabet government agency with that phrase. The only thing I did was include the plurality with the (s).

My best to you and let us both remain able to post on AGN. Unless you have other motives that don't include talking about airguns? (shrug/smile)

I am very happy to have the privilege of being able to post on AGN. When I need help with my airguns, etc., I can usually find it here and when I can, I try to help others.

Sincerely, I don't want to lose that privilege. (smile)

Last edited:
Absolutely those are in the slug category. Nowadays the term "slug" describes a bullet-like form of airgun projectile. Pellets have the basic Diabolo shape with a defined dome like head & flared skirt. It's the airflow around the skirt that stabilizes PELLETS & velocity & twist rate (spin) that stabilizes SLUGS.

Reactions: WorriedMan
Well, for me, a slug and bullet are two different things with a similar, but not exactly the same, component. And that is the projectile, although pellets are another entirely different thing.

The slug is the projectile, and there the similarity ends. The bullet, IMHO, is a "round" which includes a case or casing, primer, powder and projectile incompassed in a singular unit that you load into a PB. But they are not the same as a slug and "bullet" is not synonymous with slug, especially when it comes to airguns. Maybe it is the language difference...? I don't know.

And as Forrest Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that...".
A bullet is one part of a cartridge. The bullet and other parts are the cartridge/round. The word bullet comes from the French word meaning small ball, used to describe any projectile fired from a barrel. The only reason I can see why airgun slugs are not called bullets is to stay off the radar