• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Are there High Pressure PCP Foot Pumps

I am wondering if there are high pressure foot pumps for PCP air rifles?

The reason is that I am not really that strong in the upper body, but I do have some pretty strong legs. Another reason is I am going on 70 years, and just do not have the oompf that I had when I was younger.

If not foot pumps, maybe someone can recommend a hand pump that is easy to use.

Another question is: Can you leave the hand pump connect to the air rifle while taking a break from pumping up the air cylinder, without that cylinder leaking all the air you just put in?

Sorry if that sounds like a silly question, but I do not have experience with PCP air rifles and hand pumps.

1571322091_6631638525da878eb8b4284.93468804_Screenshot_20190313-192506_Chrome.jpg

Or make one of these!

Not foot pumps that I have seen. You can leave the pump connected and not lose air.

As for upper body strength and hand pumping. It is really more about technique than strength. On the down strong, lock elbows and compress pump while bending your knees. Your body weight drives the pump down. Will be an pretty easy workout and your Doc will be thrilled you are exercising.... 😉

You can leave most of the hand pumps

I am wondering if there are high pressure foot pumps for PCP air rifles?

The reason is that I am not really that strong in the upper body, but I do have some pretty strong legs. Another reason is I am going on 70 years, and just do not have the oompf that I had when I was younger.

If not foot pumps, maybe someone can recommend a hand pump that is easy to use.

Another question is: Can you leave the hand pump connect to the air rifle while taking a break from pumping up the air cylinder, without that cylinder leaking all the air you just put in?

Sorry if that sounds like a silly question, but I do not have experience with PCP air rifles and hand pumps.

I am not aware of any high pressure foot pumps being available. 

The hand pumps are fairly easy to pump to 2000psi. Beyond 2K they get harder and beyond 2.5K you have to put your weight into it.

Most pumps in good condition will allow you to leave them connected and still stay pressurized.

The red pump shown is good for short duration. The water cooled versions are good for longer duration.

I used a hand pump for awhile but old arm injuries complained so got a Yong Heng I believe them to be the best and longest lasting for the money. I have 20 or so hours on it with only an o-ring failure thus far even though I have overheated it severely several times. Forgot to turn the pump on.

Link is to one of better models as there are several that are less expensive but do not have auto shutdown or two water separators or?...

https://www.amazon.com/4500PSI-Set-Pressure-Compressor-Electric-Pressure/dp/B07V2KCVSR/ref=sr_1_38?hvadid=77996727489361&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=yong+heng&qid=1571324532&sr=8-38

Pcp pumps are not like bike pump. Bike pumps have foot pump you can use with your foot cause they only go max up to 100 psi. These pcp pump goes up to 3500 to 4500 psi. Even a handpump you use your whole body weight to pump when it gets over 2500 psi. So its impossible to have a pcp foot pump. I'm guessing you never used a hand pump. I'm 30 and I have to use all my weight to push down on my hand pump. For someone 70, I suggest get a compressor. 

I went to the fire station, and found it no longer is manned, or so it looks. There are no private autos there like it used to be. Looks like I will have to wait until I can purchase my new truck sometime next year, when I have a 50 percent down payment. After that, I can resume my experimenting with PCP rifles. Meanwhile, I will make due with my Hammerli 850 CO2 rifle, and my Daisy Avanti 753. Both of those are really fun to shoot at 15 to 25 yards. Caley Ann

PS Getting a new vehicle is more important than worrying about how to get an air rifle operating. That can come later. Transportation here in the desert is a problem without a car. Took me four hours of waiting and bus riding to just withdraw money from my own bank, and then two more hours today to deposit it into my new local bank. Priorities, priorities

Good set of priorities there - I get it . . .

But when ready, a hand pump is a great way to get into PCPs. As Loren said, it is all technique, not strength, provided your wrists, elbows, and shoulder can take your body weight load when your arms are locked straight - which they should, barring a bad injury or bone spurs or such. If you are about 150 pounds or so and do it right, which is easy to learn, then you are good to go. Everyone says the $50 ebay and Amazon hand China hand pumps work great.

Sure, a powered compressor is nice, but it is not necessary to play in this space. Many people just use hand pumps.

I think the reason you don't see PCP foot pumps is that the shorter stroke really limits your refill. It's bad enough with a hand pump. As you get closer to 'real' pressures, you're moving less and less volume (compression considered) with each stroke. With the shorter stroke of a foot pump you'd be moving next to nothing.

That said, a good hand pump will cost as much as an inexpensive compressor these days, and a good foot-pump (if such existed) would undoubtedly be more. So look into the cheap compressors. I haven't kept up, having long ago decided that a premium compressor was worth the price, but the Yong Heng, and I'm sure others are in the manual-pump price range and require no physical effort. It appears that "Biohazardman" is absent these days, but if you get a Yong Heng, I'd encourage you to find his old, often repeated, post about how to set one up and use it effectively.

GsT

Yes you can leave them connected to take a break. It’s a good idea to have a good number of 006 (I believe that is the correct size) orings on hand for the China pumps. That is the oring in the check valve in the bottom of the pump. It keeps the high pressure air in the fill whip from coming back up into the pump. These have a tendency to go bad. When they go bad even a little bit you can’t take a break without that high pressure air slowly seeping into the pump. When that happens you cannot pump the pump. Good thing is that the oring is a quick easy change.