Are there even budget-friendly accurate airguns that don't leak?

Have you considered the money you've spent on guns, pellets and don't forget time tuning rather than enjoying could have been spent on one nice $1,000 PCP rifle and you'd be happy. I understand you are trying to find a good $500 airgun, but consider you just need to buy used or up your budget for a one time purchase. Buy once Cry once.

Airguns were the one type of product that I did not follow this rule.....

I mean, look where it got me now! almost $200+ wasted on pellets alone. Not to mention the dozens of hours I put into testing and shooting these guns. 

Scruffy

As far as 'budget-friendly' accurate airguns that don't leak go:

Just in the past year or so, I've had: 

ATI Nova Freedom .22 
Hatsan Gladius .22
2 Kral Puncher Breakers in .22 
Kral Puncher Nemesis .22/.25 
Artemis P15 .22 
Artemis PP700sa .22 pistol w/ folding stock [rifle hybrid]

I won't mentioned the handful of others as they cost over $1k/ea

But I'll say this much.. None of them ever leaked! 
They were and are amazing rifles - Especially for the price! 
Excellent accuracy and consistency, and very fun to shoot!

I didn't have to worry about a leaking gun or 'leaking gunS' 
until' my Impact MKii showed up and then my Dream Tac Compact.
*Ordered from 2 different - Very reputable dealers - But BOTH leaked! 
1 came at 0 psi, filed, leaked, repeat repeat repeat... 
1 cam with a slow leak.

Both sorted out 'now', but, very Very VERY depressing/frustrating!
Around $3k spent and could not use or trust either one right out of the boxes.

Anyways.. My point.. Leaking can happen with Any PCP gun, 
no matter the brand / model / price point.

The models that I mentioned - I've had the best luck with for the longest time. So far.

The Kral Puncher Breakers are some of my all time favorite rifles to shoot, 
and if you paw through my comments and posts on here, you'll see that I say that a LOT. 
There's a reason. [And I've gone through countless rifles over the past 25+ years]
1 of the PBs did have a valve/shaft failure, but, that was a very well known defect/issue, 
that I was expecting to happen anyways. After the fix/upgrade, I trust it/them 100%

There are a LOT of other options out there! Much of the choice boils down to preference.

🙂👍 

Sam -

That's a lot of guns! I loved both of my Kral puncher breakers too! I just really wish I would have kept the replacement, and fixed the leak myself instead of getting the marauder.. it would have saved me a lot of time and money. I'm also sorry to hear about your troubles with high-end guns, I would have never thought the famous FX impact could have issues...

Anyway, thanks for all the advice! I will take it into account when deciding what to do!

Scruffy

Scruffy,

Lots of airguns for sure.. I had to give up on regular firearms due to bs rules/regs here in NY. *sigh* 
One thing though.. I never used to spend big. I'd always opt for lesser expensive options, 
and then go through them, customize / fine tune / etc. 

Funny thing.. Last year, I finally had enough cash saved up for an Impact, and then... 
At the last minute, used that cash instead to get 2 guns, a compressor and a big tank!
[All of them are still working absolutely flawlessly today]

It took another full year to get the Impact, and well.. yeah.. *face palming myself*
And thanks man! That was definitely a rough one and rude awakening..

Anyways, back to the PBs.. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed yours too! 
I've shot a lot of 'traditional' rifles, as well as a Lot of 'bullpups' over the years.. Hybrids too..
The Puncher Breakers just seem to nail ergonomics! They shoulder great and length of pull is perfect! 
I really can't stress that fact enough. I think that's why I just enjoy them So Much. 
Adjustable power - Externally - On demand. That's another Huge Plus when it comes to guns. [IMO]
That's another area where the PBs just shine.
I do a ton of shooting indoors at my 10m 'range'. Sure, I still shoot at full/high power, but, 
with these, you can wind them down for slower speeds and higher shot-counts, 
then outside, you can crank em' up for faster speeds and longer distances. Win Win.

One would think that I had stock in, worked at, or was sponsored by Kral... Hahaha

The Artemis P15 is another all time fave.. 
They'll hang with similar rifles costing 2 to 3 times their price point, and are so much fun! 
I'd Highly recommend them 100% if they weren't so hit and miss.. 
I still Recommend them though. Love them. Mine is 100%.
Some people have issues with certain parts and/or barrels though.

The other secret weapon that I rarely mention.. The Hatsan Gladius! 
OMG that rifle is amazing!! I can't even stress how amazing mine shoots, 
how accurate / consistent it is, etc. They're just 'Heavy'!
That's oddly a turn-off for some folks. I don't mind though.. 

Hey, I'm a bit 'manic', so probably too hyped up to have seen or maybe I missed it, 
or maybe you didn't mention it..

What type of shooting do you do the most? Or have thoughts of doing?
Bench-rest target shooting? Off hand target / Plinking? Hunting? Short Vs Long range?

I / we mention different guns, but, we can filter options a bit by knowing info like that..

Welcome buddy! And I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread! 
Any time I think I can be of some help - and not just ramble.. lol I'll chime in.

**I'll probably also just ramble**

🤣👍

Sam -

@DirtyDovi

I fully agree with your take on the Hatsan Gladius. I have a .22 long (one of a small handful of .22's that I own) Yes, it is heavy (very much so). Yes, it is accurate (very accurate in my case). Yes, it is powerful. NIce features-magazine storage, cocking arm location in a good spot, sling swivels (if that is important). I have done a lot of trigger work on mine and the trigger can be made VERY NICE if one is willing to work on them-mine has a second stage break at 1lb 2oz. and is very crisp and distinct. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Gladius and would like to have a .177 Short.

Scruffy,

Lots of airguns for sure.. I had to give up on regular firearms due to bs rules/regs here in NY. *sigh* 
One thing though.. I never used to spend big. I'd always opt for lesser expensive options, 
and then go through them, customize / fine tune / etc. 

Funny thing.. Last year, I finally had enough cash saved up for an Impact, and then... 
At the last minute, used that cash instead to get 2 guns, a compressor and a big tank!
[All of them are still working absolutely flawlessly today]

It took another full year to get the Impact, and well.. yeah.. *face palming myself*
And thanks man! That was definitely a rough one and rude awakening..

Anyways, back to the PBs.. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed yours too! 
I've shot a lot of 'traditional' rifles, as well as a Lot of 'bullpups' over the years.. Hybrids too..
The Puncher Breakers just seem to nail ergonomics! They shoulder great and length of pull is perfect! 
I really can't stress that fact enough. I think that's why I just enjoy them So Much. 
Adjustable power - Externally - On demand. That's another Huge Plus when it comes to guns. [IMO]
That's another area where the PBs just shine.
I do a ton of shooting indoors at my 10m 'range'. Sure, I still shoot at full/high power, but, 
with these, you can wind them down for slower speeds and higher shot-counts, 
then outside, you can crank em' up for faster speeds and longer distances. Win Win.

One would think that I had stock in, worked at, or was sponsored by Kral... Hahaha

The Artemis P15 is another all time fave.. 
They'll hang with similar rifles costing 2 to 3 times their price point, and are so much fun! 
I'd Highly recommend them 100% if they weren't so hit and miss.. 
I still Recommend them though. Love them. Mine is 100%.
Some people have issues with certain parts and/or barrels though.

The other secret weapon that I rarely mention.. The Hatsan Gladius! 
OMG that rifle is amazing!! I can't even stress how amazing mine shoots, 
how accurate / consistent it is, etc. They're just 'Heavy'!
That's oddly a turn-off for some folks. I don't mind though.. 

Hey, I'm a bit 'manic', so probably too hyped up to have seen or maybe I missed it, 
or maybe you didn't mention it..

What type of shooting do you do the most? Or have thoughts of doing?
Bench-rest target shooting? Off hand target / Plinking? Hunting? Short Vs Long range?

I / we mention different guns, but, we can filter options a bit by knowing info like that..

Welcome buddy! And I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread! 
Any time I think I can be of some help - and not just ramble.. lol I'll chime in.

**I'll probably also just ramble**

🤣👍

Sam -

Hi Sam,

I don't really do one type of shooting... that's why I opted for a .25. In my backyard, one of the main types of shooting I do is target shooting. I shoot prone or from a bench at distance of around 37-40 yards, which depends on whether I am shooting from a bench or prone. 41 yard is the maximum length of my yard. I also hunt freehand in my backyard, and I mostly get mostly large (20+ pounds!) raccoons that come into my backyard late at night, and squirrels that come by my birdfeeder during the day. I don't really need a silent airgun, as the highway near my house drowns out even the loudest of airguns. Additionally, a good buddy of mine has a decent sized property that I used to go shoot on. I shoot anywhere from 40-110 yards, but I really only would only hunt out to 85 yards if I was using a bench and a good rangefinder. After seeing how much even the slightest wind drifts a 25.4 grain pellet, I bought a trial pack of Nielsen slugs. I hope whatever gun I get ends up liking one of the types of nielsan slugs I bought, as for long range shooting, the difference between slugs and pellets, in terms of wind drift, is crazy! I am always shooting at an elevation, so I don't have to worry about what I am going to hit if I miss, or if it passes through.

Recently, I've just been thinking a lot about shooting as far as my gun allows. I have learned it's really how far my gun can shoot thats the issue, but how far my scope can adjust elevation. My buddy has a couple .22lr and we used to go hunt raccoons with them. I would mostly use my airgun, and would mostly use his .22. Sadly, we recently found out that we can no longer shoot firearms on his property, and he is going to move back to his family with michigan as a result. I will still be able to go and shoot my airgun, but only a few times a month when he is back here in Virginia so I will be shooting at long range only around a third of the time. 

Overall, I couldn't decide what type of shooting I do most, but to be honest my favorite at this point is extreme long-range target shooting and hunting. But I also like hunting at a close range (10-25 yards) freehand.

By the way, the weight of a gun is not that much of an issue even if I am hunting freehand or walking through the forest...unless it's a 25 pound .50 cal :)

Scruffy

I am on my second Benjamin Gen.2 Fortitude, 1st one Bought on 03-31-2020, it leaked down 500psi in three days. I returned it for a new Fortitude Gen2 and received it a few days ago, and asked Pyramyd Air to do a 10 for $10 and pressure test it, for at least 3 days, and call me with the leak down results. No call and I received the 2nd gun, it is a different serial Number, but it is also Leaking down 300psi in 4 days, Not as bad as the first Fortitude. But the Barrel/Shroud on the 2nd gun isnt really floppy loosely and banging against the Air tube like the 1st Fortnight did. It now has the name Fortnight as it will Leak down to Zero in less than a Fortnight. Poor Chinese Quality Out of a US based company Sad. The amount paid for a gun shouldn't have anything to do with it being defective or the percentage of product that is produced as DOB Defective Out of Box. I haven't had any problems with either my Marauder Pistol Prod, or my Marauder Rifle Synrod.

Scruff,

I read your posts, and suggest you forget regulated precharged guns and get a good, powerful .22 springer. Since you mostly shoot out to 41yds or within the gun you have’s range, a good .22 springer will shoot groups and kill small game about as well as a cheap precharged gun, all with zero leakdown!

BTW, no airgun needs tons of money spent on ammo just to see if its accurate, but springers take even fewer shots. Nearly every powerful .22 springer will work well with 16-22gr roundnosed pellets from either JSB or H&N ... don’t bother shooting more than 30 shots with each type, just pick the one that shoots best at your 41yds and stick with it.

As to to leaks, the more seals a PCP gun has, the more likely a leak can occur. Its usually a sub-$3.00 o’ring, no matter the brand or gun model, and, in general, the Impact rifle has more seals than most. That said, I own an Impact, and like it. I own dozens of precharged guns, even knowing they will ALL leak sooner or later, but i can fix em, and you can’t.

For just hunting, there is nothing wrong with a good springer, even this kind can fail too.

No airgun is as reliable as a simple singleshot rimfire rifle, but MOST are more fun! 

Scruff,

I read your posts, and suggest you forget regulated precharged guns and get a good, powerful .22 springer. Since you mostly shoot out to 41yds or within the gun you have’s range, a good .22 springer will shoot groups and kill small game about as well as a cheap precharged gun, all with zero leakdown!

BTW, no airgun needs tons of money spent on ammo just to see if its accurate, but springers take even fewer shots. Nearly every powerful .22 springer will work well with 16-22gr roundnosed pellets from either JSB or H&N ... don’t bother shooting more than 30 shots with each type, just pick the one that shoots best at your 41yds and stick with it.

As to to leaks, the more seals a PCP gun has, the more likely a leak can occur. Its usually a sub-$3.00 o’ring, no matter the brand or gun model, and, in general, the Impact rifle has more seals than most. That said, I own an Impact, and like it. I own dozens of precharged guns, even knowing they will ALL leak sooner or later, but i can fix em, and you can’t.

For just hunting, there is nothing wrong with a good springer, even this kind can fail too.

No airgun is as reliable as a simple singleshot rimfire rifle, but MOST are more fun! 

If you don't mind a Bob Barker of a Springer there's a $425 split shipping Diana 54 T06 with a Vortex PG-2 tune kit already installed. Most accurate and easiest to shoot accurate Springer money can buy today IMHO. I would buy THAT ONE if I were you and as a matter of fact I'd buy it myself... OOPS already sent a message I'll take it half hour ago. You can buy it if you want. I already have 4 of these already but none with the T06 trigger which is the sole reason I want it and the VORTEK PG-2 kit makes it even more interesting to me. Pedro Rodriguez in PR good fella to deal with too I can give an excellent recommendation. Yo!

I've purchased 3 Krals from Pyramyd. A new Puncher Breaker in.22,Puncher Pro .22 and Puncher Pro 500-both refurbs. Never had a single problem with Any of them. (They are quite easy to work on,in any event.) 

Sorry to hear about your problems,that is frustrating...to say the least.

Mike

Have you ever paid the $10 for 10 service? Yo!

Not on the Krals. My main concern is getting a good barrel,so far so good. I have paid the 10-fer in the past for my .25 Marauder (1st pcp).

Now just the other day I ordered a BSA R10SE and did pay the 10 bucks for what AOA does for free. The rifle is slated for delivery next week.

I've been eyeballing the SE for quite some time.Bolt action is Fine to me,I don't need to shoot rapid-fire style as I try to make each shot count. I Also don't need the hottest cookie right outta the oven...I'm partial to proven performance and tend to resist the latest fad or trends. Don't need to shoot at 200 yds to be happy,either. Slugs have their place,but 98% of the time pellets do the job just fine for me. (Thought I'd mention that!)

Cant wait for this rifle! It's not a 70 fpe .22 and thats fine by me. Folks scoff at the 1400 fps Walmart rifles but their pcp has to be over 50+ fpe to be worth consideration.LOL! 

Sorry if I began to ramble.

Short Answer:No.

Mike.