Are the squirrels tougher in NY or is everyone's pants on fire?

Brain shot placement drop's em every time. "Head" shot just anywhere, yes you can blow there nose off and have em run. And naturally a "brain" shotb does mean you will not get good shots on all squirrels so some get to stay for another day.
.177 longest shot that day 73 yards ( paced after shot)
[/IMG][/URL]

Steve used his .22 Diana panther

[/IMG][/URL]

Same hunt

[/IMG][/URL]

Many squirrels were spotted but no shot taken, all were instant kills.
Nope doesn't happen every time but as close as possible and I like .177. My ONLY instant kill on a opossum ( I normally shoot them as many rounds as I have in whatever) just because of time I grab an AA410 in .177 and got a chicken eatin varmint with a clean brain pass through at 36 yards, now ABSOLUTE luck involved there but a tine hole side to side with really no blood showing killed it NOW.

John

"ajshoots"The actual lights out kill zone of a squirrels head is much smaller than the head itself. The reason a larger caliber works better (and yes it does!!) Is because of the increased surface area having a better chance of staying in the true kill zone of a head shot.

To answer your question, NO!! Squirrels are not tougher in NY. Honestly, a very inate knowledge of a squirrels head dramatically increases your instant kill ratio. I have had similar things happen with a .22 LR and airguns as well. In a situation when a great head shot is not a guarantee, I take a heart/lung shot as that is certain death and a much bigger target.
Agreed. I have never used my air rifle for hunting, but have one of my .22LR chambered firearms, and most of the time I will just drill them through the heart and lungs. It usually blows them off the branch, and I only use their meat for stew anyways.

"crosman2016"
"ajshoots"The actual lights out kill zone of a squirrels head is much smaller than the head itself. The reason a larger caliber works better (and yes it does!!) Is because of the increased surface area having a better chance of staying in the true kill zone of a head shot.

To answer your question, NO!! Squirrels are not tougher in NY. Honestly, a very inate knowledge of a squirrels head dramatically increases your instant kill ratio. I have had similar things happen with a .22 LR and airguns as well. In a situation when a great head shot is not a guarantee, I take a heart/lung shot as that is certain death and a much bigger target.
Agreed. I have never used my air rifle for hunting, but have one of my .22LR chambered firearms, and most of the time I will just drill them through the heart and lungs. It usually blows them off the branch, and I only use their meat for stew anyways.
I think you are putting out a good bit more energy with your 22 LR than most people are getting from a 15gr JSB pellet....