• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Are the Korean guns still relevant?

After having owned and tested my fair share of contemporary regulated-PCP WunderGuns including Kalibrgun, AGT, FX, and Daystate, in my opinion the Korean maxi-blasters are only pertinent to shooters who can appreciate practically simple design, dependability, and excellent accuracy... at a fraction of the cost of anything that will shoot with them. And as strange-looking as I used to find the Career 2 707 (and ilk), I now find them 'uniquely' endearing; and no more off-putting than the plumbers-nightmare black-rifle PCPs now all the rage.

After DE-tuning to achieve actual bell-curve power-bands (still at great power), I've gotten long-range accuracy results with the Korean lever-actions that have yet to be bettered by anything (airgun) at any price. Mind you, the Sumatra groups are SIX-shot, Career groups five-shot.

View attachment 161501

My .25 Sumatra DE-tuned to 'just' 63 foot-pounds to return a 30 shot bell-curve power-band consistently averages 1.25-1.50" SIX-shot groups at 100 yards.

View attachment 161503

A similarly DE-tuned .22 Sumatra posted these SIX-shot groups at 'only' 97 yards.

And a DE-tuned .25 Career 2 707 got these 2 five-shot groups at 97 yards-

View attachment 161507
Who's DE?

"Blasphemy!"

Guilty as charged! And being a power freak myself, I can well understand your offense at my DE-tuning one of the most awesome PCP maxi-blasters in airgun history.

I present the following evidence of my power-hunger, as quoted from the chapter titled Precharged Pneumatic Pistol POWER, from my book Custom, Classic, And Otherwise AWESOME AIR PISTOLS!

"We love our toys, you and I. Being men-folk, we're fascinated by Physics. Rather, gizmos relating to Physics like wheels, motors, projectiles and shooting implements. Good thing we're fascinated by such tools; because lacking such benign interests, we'd never get our minds out of the gutter! And mechanical gizmos being immensely more easily manipulated than females, no wonder we take such sanctuary in our 'stuff'. Of few things more fascinating than mechanical things (and, arguably, females) are powerful mechanical things! Which brings us to precharged pneumatic air pistols."

So, having confessed my blasphemy, AND proven my power addiction, you must be wondering what is the method to my madness... THIS TIME?

Because I can't abide airguns that lose velocity with every shot, as do virtually ALL PCP maxi-blasters including Sumatras, Careers, DukIl/Evanix, Quackenbush and many (most?) AEAs, I have a long history of DE-tuning those that I find otherwise excellent enough to invest many hours in taking to levels they'd never reach on their own. In the case of the Korean lever-actions, like this-

25 Sum Groups.JPG

Four consecutive SIX-shot groups at 100 yards.

And this-

BRS award.jpg

Career groups.jpg

And in the case of AEA, this-

AEA .81 at 100.jpg

None of the feats documented above are possible with PCPs losing velocity with every shot; at least without recharging every couple/few shots, or tethering. So that's the method to my madness...

THIS TIME.

AAP new cover small.jpg

Reactions: FarmPlinker
I'm not sure if this was said by AirNGasman or Desert Silver

My .25 Sumatra DE-tuned to 'just' 63 foot-pounds to return a 30 shot bell-curve power-band consistently averages 1.25-1.50" SIX-shot groups at 100 yards.

But now I am very curious how this tuning result could be achieved on my 25 cal Sumatra 2500, also
The 30-shot bell curve (6 mags!!) is outstanding.
Are there instructions available?

Thanks
Ed

I'm not sure if this was said by AirNGasman or Desert Silver

But now I am very curious how this tuning result could be achieved on my 25 cal Sumatra 2500, also
The 30-shot bell curve (6 mags!!) is outstanding.
Are there instructions available?

Thanks
Ed
Yes, that was me. And yes, instructions are available. The best such instructions are probably here-

However, I've posted several times about DE-tuning various airguns to return bell-curve power-bands. Thankfully those (other) posts are easily located by using the search function with the key word 'DE-tuning'.

But perhaps the most important part of DE-tuning success might be enough STUBBORN RESOLVE to reduce hammer-spring strength repeatedly, reassembling the gun after each spring reduction to chronograph it, and "lather, rinse, repeat" the process until you find a bell-curve at your desired power level.

Truth be told, my lack of machining skills and equipment are such severe handicaps that my powers of STUBBORN RESOLVE have OVERGROWN to compensate!

Reactions: SilentSquirrel
Thanks @ AirNGasman.
Here's an LOL for you,
I opened the thread from June 2022 that you linked.
And about 2/3 of the way down found those same questions I asked today, asked by none other than myself.
How quickly one forgets!!
(it was even saved in my bookmarks!)
Ed

Me too, Ed!🤣

But that's one of the advantages to being OLDER THAN DIRT🥴; I don't have to come up with new lies, because I have surpluses of old lies I can constantly recycle. Thankfully most of my friends are equally senile, because they think they're hearing NEW stories if I just change a word or two with each retelling.o_O

Me too, Ed!🤣

But that's one of the advantages to being OLDER THAN DIRT🥴; I don't have to come up with new lies, because I have surpluses of old lies I can constantly recycle. Thankfully most of my friends are equally senile, because they think they're hearing NEW stories if I just change a word or two with each retelling.o_O
Makes me wonder if the dirt you are older than is as old as my dirt.
Time for a carbon dating adventure!

Last edited:
With all the advances in these last few years is there still a place for the Korean guns like the Sam Yang (now Seneca) and others?

They still offer the cheapest bang for your buck and are still just as effective, but people seem to be wanting to stretch things - a similar trend to PB’s.

Anyways just bored at work and musing.. I’d happily have a Yang or Seneca.
You know, I just stumbled across an UP North Airgunner video today, where he was testing claims by a company called Cap Dragon that they could double the FPE of the Dragon Claw at stock pressure. And what he found was that somehow, those claims were 100% true. He got slightly over 460fpe which is always going to be relevant when it comes to hunting.