Are the FX Maverick/Impact barrels stiffer than FX Crown/ Dreamline ?

Hi , one thing that makes me a bit upset about barrel stiffness on the Crown or Dreamline is the way the barrel is kept in place in the action: only by two tiny grub screws .I know it works but ,in my opinion, this is maybe the cause to POI shifting problems.

On the other hand , after looking to some videos about the Impact , Maverick or Wildcat , it seems that the barrel ( or the sleeve supporting the liner ) is supported in two places into the "scope rail block" before going into the action and being secured by two screws. So my question : does it make a difference in barrel assembly stiffness compared to the Crown or Dreamline ? I would like to know because I'm to the point of getting a Maverick Sniper, but only if I get rid of POI shifting troubles.

Thanks and , by the way , happy shooting for 2022 .

Mike.

It looks like all new Crown's have the 4 set screws

This is correct. Started with the Crown Continuum (MK1) back in March/April 2020.

Other than that, all the Maverick, Impact and Dreamline barrels (EXCEPT the SuperLight Dreamline barrels) are exactly the same. The only difference is in the shrouds. I think the OP really is talking about the mounting systems, not the actual stiffness of the barrel.

Chris

Like 18.13 above, I have not had POI shifts on any of my FX airguns. However, the Impact/Maverick/Wildcats (or probably any bullpup design) definitely have more barrel support points than the Crown or Dreamline. The real question is whether our not that makes a real difference. I have used my Crowns both with and without a barrel band which secured the barrel to the air bottle. I did not see any material difference in accuracy, even though there was a marked difference in how much the barrel would move when fired. Frankly, having had Crowns with both the 2 screw and 4 screw mounting systems, I really couldn’t say that one was more accurate than the other, at least out to 50 yards. Perhaps it might make a difference if I were pushing through dense brush or woods, but even then my answer might be to use a shorter barrel rather than any other change designed to improve barrel stiffness.

Chris

Thanks Chris , this makes things clear to me . One point on which I'm maybe misunderstood : when I shoot my Crown at 50 yards , the gun is very accurate , almost pellets over pellets . POI shifting occurs when I take the gun back a few days , or weeks , later . I have to re-zero it again , despite I take care not to bump the barrel on anything or to rest the gun on its barrel in the rack.Have no explanation for this .

Your problem could be some regulator creep. And possibly your scope. I had the same problem awhile back and it turned out to be my $400 vortex scope was bad.

+1 on checking your scope. I had one that didn't exactly stay put on where I had it zeroed(Had to adjust it a click or two almost every time I started a session) even though it was close to optical center. Switched out scopes and the POI shift between sessions was eliminated.

Also, had one that was much more sensitive to temperature shifts than other scopes which caused larger than expected POI changes, but did it consistently with the temperature. Switching out the scope eliminated this problem as well. 

@Mmahoney's recent thread on POI shift/velocity change due to weather conditions that @18.13 linked is golden info as well.

I think I solved the poi shift on my dreamline, and I do believe it was the scope and mount I was using, after switching scopes 

the problem has gone away, also have been storing the gun in my unheated garage, so no huge temperature swings bringing the gun

from mid 70's inside to 30's outside to go hunt, 

also brought the barrel and shroud back to a stock configuration, after trying to stiffen it up with a cf sleeve and additional supports

works great now, no shifts

I finally put a barrel band on my FX Crown to ( I hope) get rid of some POI shifting . I also put a 600 mm superlight assembly in .30 . When I installed the barrel band I put a dial test indicator on top of the shroud to see any flex when I tight the band . No flex detected , but the fist 15 shots were a bit erratic : a 4 shots group 3/4" and then 3 shots 2" apart :confused: . So I wonder if a barrel band is able to fix the POI shifting or not . I noticed that the band have a close fit around the barrel ; bad or good I don't know.

Now I would like to know if the position of the band is important : is it better to put it as far as possible to the end of the bottle , so closer to the muzzle , or rather backwards to the action? Maybe some of you made some testing about that?
Thanks

I finally put a barrel band on my FX Crown to ( I hope) get rid of some POI shifting . I also put a 600 mm superlight assembly in .30 . When I installed the barrel band I put a dial test indicator on top of the shroud to see any flex when I tight the band . No flex detected , but the fist 15 shots were a bit erratic : a 4 shots group 3/4" and then 3 shots 2" apart :confused: . So I wonder if a barrel band is able to fix the POI shifting or not . I noticed that the band have a close fit around the barrel ; bad or good I don't know.

Now I would like to know if the position of the band is important : is it better to put it as far as possible to the end of the bottle , so closer to the muzzle , or rather backwards to the action? Maybe some of you made some testing about that?
Thanks
While a barrel band will help with poi shifting from bumping the barrel, it will play with the harmonics of the barrel. This will definitely cause the issues you’re having. You will have to experiment with moving the band back and forth on the barrel till you find the best accuracy. It’s a long process, but if you were having poi issues from bumping the barrel, it’s the only way.

I emailed bulletcentral a few weeks back asking about a carbon tensioner for the superlite barrel system. While they don’t make one right now, they said they were working on a design. It’s difficult because the liner is only suspended by the spacers in the shroud, and a compression fitting to the breech. This doesn’t lend itself well to tensioning systems. There is the option of swapping the barrel to a “standard” stx liner system, and then having a carbon tensioner made for it. I was going to experiment with this set up myself. I have some 500mm barrels I was going to put in, and test different ways of tensioning it.

Reactions: Chukar60