• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Are The Chinese Electric Air Pumps Worth Their Price?

I had one for about six months. I bought the Tuxing compressor from Aliexpress. I think it was just shy of 300 USD shipped. I own a beautiful top of the line compressor, but my dream is to bring people into PCP airguns from the firearms only world. The barrier is when I tell someone they need to purchase an 800 dollar bottle and find a way to fill it. At this point, I lose all but the most committed airgun enthusiast. I never had a plan on selling the Tuxing but what a great way to cross people into a PCP without hand pumping and/or finding a local paintball shop or firehouse to fill their expensive CF HPA bottle. 

The very first Tuxing came and was perfectly packed. I followed directions and set the pump up with a bucket of water and what looks like a fish tank pump. I ordered the 110V model because I wanted to test the most simple set up for the average American garage. I plugged the Tuxing in (I had requested a 110V/60Hz) and the machine popped and sent sparks flying all over the floor. When the smoke cleared, I unplugged the device with a wooden broom handle and took a close look at it. The motor was too hot to touch, and the wiring was fried. I contacted the seller and they promptly sent me a new compressor at no cost. When it came, I must admit a little trepidation on my part before hitting the on switch. This time the pump worked as it should. I used the small pump for about six months before the piston head needed to be replaced. Tuxing sent me a new one, and I gave the pump away. I believe they are all made in the same location no manner what brand is stamped on the compressor. 

The Tuxing style compressor does work, but you will need to know how to replace things on the compressor from major or small. The compressor won't last forever but It might last you longer than it did me, I used it every single day for six months. It is best used as a minimal bottle filler (less than 1 liter) or direct fill mode like a hand pump.

I would probably buck up for one of the models I saw that costs around 1200.

I don’t own one but I did a lot of research before I purchased my mid priced Chinese pump(Carette). With any of the pumps from $300 Chinese to a $20000 shop pump you need a oil water filter separator. At a minimum that adds 2-4 hundred to your air pump investment,skip it your guns will rust from the inside out and possibly explode when the pressure can no longer be handled.
If I had limited funds I would probably buy one of those $300 units and I would hope it would last 2 years that would probably be the break even point over going to a paint ball store for tank fills. To make those cheap pumps last you need to use a good quality oil like Bauer 0024 with frequent changes. One other thing that’s a pump killer is high operating temperature so be careful not to overtax it above it’s capabilities. You must also be mechanically inclined or know someone who is inorder to do the necessary rebuilds when a valve goes or other problems pop up. Wait for others to reply who have had luck with their cheap pumps and use their recommendations on what to get. Try to buy from a vendor that will be there for any needed repair parts and find out what parts you need to keep handy for common break downs. 
One more thing keep your fingers crossed.
good luck

I bought one on ebay 220v so far so good needed to change plug end as it was a 110 plug they were asking 345.00 or something like that with obo so i offered 275 with free shipping and they agreed. shiped in about a week. fills a 106 cu ft high pressure scuba tank from 2000psi to 4500psi in 20 minutes or so also changed the water pump with a royobi wet saw pump from home depot less than 20$. i use a bag of ice in the water to keep the compressor cool works great.

Like Brian said in a few post above, there is no moisture filter on these pumps. If you have ever used a compressor before, you know that even a home unit creates a huge amount of water when you bleed the air tank. These high pressure units create way more moisture.
This will without a doubt ruin a gun and can cause damage or death if a tank explodes. Most have no idea what 3000 to 4000psi will do to you if a tank explodes. We are messing with very dangerous toys.....play safe boys !!!

"Grandfather"Like Brian said in a few post above, there is no moisture filter on these pumps. If you have ever used a compressor before, you know that even a home unit creates a huge amount of water when you bleed the air tank. These high pressure units create way more moisture.
This will without a doubt ruin a gun and can cause damage or death if a tank explodes. Most have no idea what 3000 to 4000psi will do to you if a tank explodes. We are messing with very dangerous toys.....play safe boys !!!
The power in the tanks is really insane....you do need to take care.

I am not aware if the AV pump, or really any of the others come with a dryer.....in my research this is something you need to buy no matter what way you go.

For the power of those tanks.