are the cheap compressors on ebay worth it ?

are the cheap compressors on ebay worth it ?
No, in my opinion, they are not, but I can see the attractiveness of low cost. There is no such thing as inexpensive HPA (high pressure air). As an example, if you purchase a professional Bauer, it will be worth the same money you paid for it in twenty or even more years. These are supported world-wide. Parts are still available for Bauer compressors made in the 1960's directly from Bauer. On the other hand these inexpensive compressors are frail, have very short duty cycles and they overheat easily. Consequently, they have very low used value, have very poor factory support. Some folks appear to be lucky . . . . . . for awhile.

Reactions: rcs9250
No, in my opinion, they are not, but I can see the attractiveness of low cost. There is no such thing as inexpensive HPA (high pressure air). As an example, if you purchase a professional Bauer, it will be worth the same money you paid for it in twenty or even more years. These are supported world-wide. Parts are still available for Bauer compressors made in the 1960's directly from Bauer. On the other hand these inexpensive compressors are frail, have very short duty cycles and they overheat easily. Consequently, they have very low used value, have very poor factory support. Some folks appear to be lucky . . . . . . for awhile.
Not disagreeing with your post, other than the high temps part. Not all have that issue. Mine doesn't go above about 120°/49°.

Not disagreeing with your post, other than the high temps part. Not all have that issue. Mine doesn't go above about 120°/49°.
It's called basic adiabatic principle. When compressing any gas, the gas must give up heat. One of the major differences between the professional compressors and the cheap Chinese specials is the ability to dissipate that heat.

It's called basic adiabatic principle. When compressing any gas, the gas must give up heat. One of the major differences between the professional compressors and the cheap Chinese specials is the ability to dissipate that heat.
I'm well aware. But with an ambient temp of 79° and a head temp of 120°, to say they "overheat easily" or that they will suffer a shortened lifespan is a tad misleading.

I get that other cheap compressors get hotter; just pointing out that not all compressors under $1k do so. The quality is getting better as time goes on.

I agree than the CS4 compressors are well designed in regards to managing the heat. They would fit the needs of many PCP owners. They fill guns in a reasonable about of time and even topping off the largest 12L tanks from 200 to 310 can be done in about 2 hours. A possible downsides to the CS4 is what is the MTBF and is it high enough to warrant the price. Make sure to buy from a vendor that has a great return policy as you may get a DOA lemon that has to be returned.

its mostly a matter of expectations vs duty cycle .. the cheap compressors are absolutely perfect for poor people and light duty use, ie a tank fill here and there a couple times a month maybe .... now take the guy with too much time and disposable income on his hands, sits at a bench all day burning up thousands of pellets a month, and literally he empties 3 tanks a day and successively fills them every evening .. no .. just no .. a cheap chinese compressor never was, isnt, and never will be, designed to support that .. it takes a 'special boy' to even attempt to use one to support that kind of compulsive behavior lol ...