are the cheap compressors on ebay worth it ?

To me a big variable is parts availability. Target Forge is carrying at least some parts for the GX compressors. I think that is significant and makes it worthwhile to pay a little more for them than for a compressor you'd have to email China for parts. Yong Heng rebuild kits come from china but are readily available. I would look into parts availability for the ones you are considering. I have not needed anything more than an O-ring for my lightly used Yong Heng but it makes me more comfortable that every time I've looked it was easy to find parts.

Three years old in June, over forty hours, replaced (my fault) water pump ($11) and vibration-damaged
IMG_20220322_203924.jpg
pressure gauge (<$20). Everything pictured, except Uragan .25, less than $400. WM

As many may know...
I would really look at GX
Rebuildable if ever needed and extremely easy to maintain

Last edited:
Three years old in June, over forty hours, replaced (my fault) water pump ($11) and vibration-damagedView attachment 456611 pressure gauge (<$20). Everything pictured, except Uragan .25, less than $400. WM

My YH is almost 4 years old and at least 100 hours of run time. It keeps my 3 scba tanks filled because I use to use A LOT of air, filled my tanks from empty multiple times and topping off every weekend for a long while. Only issues were the crappy factory gauge and I upgraded the water pump from amazon long ago for about 10 bucks.

Last edited:
are the cheap compressors on ebay worth it ?
This is a very generalized question that is impossible to give an answer that applies to everyone. The answer is yes and no. It's equivalent to asking what is the best cheap airgun on the internet. It depends.

How much do you shoot PCPs? What is your budget? Do you own a tank? What size tank? etc. etc.

For every buyer that has had no problem with their cheap Ebay compressor, there is another who regrets the purchase due to breakdowns.

I've written this before. It is extremely difficult to make a 4500 psi compressor that lasts and is cheap to buy. I call them plug and pray compressors. Some owner's prayers are answered and they are the lucky ones. Cheap compressors owners play compressor roulette. Some win, some don't.

IMO any compressor under 4K from China may be DOA. Great quality control isn't the goal of companies making these compressors. The goal a cheap product that works well "most" of the time for a "reasonable" amount of time before it fails. Quality control cost time and money. A small percentage of these are DOA, you may the be the unlucky one. Many buyers get at least a few years of occasional use out of them before they fail. They are not designed to last years running hours everyday like high end scuba compressors. If you don't get a lemon and just fill a few guns a week it may last long enough to justify the price. The key thing is to buy from a place that has a decent return policy in case you get one of the lemons!

Buying a 4K compressor from China is IMO not a wise choice either, better options out there like a used Bauer or Alkin.

My YH is doing well, as mentioned from previous post, upgraded water pump, also run coolant mix and have aux 9 inch fan blowing on unit while in operation and during cool down. Changed oil twice and seems to do well. Try not to run extended time. Basically operate pump 1000 psi at a time and then let cool down. Use blue ice cooling blocks in 5 gal bucket and refreeze. Just trying to get long life before something happens and I have to rebuild. But I have pushed it a few times but nothing major. My only Oh poope moment was when a cheap fill whip popped when it was getting around 3500 psi and I kept myself together to do a proper shut down. Did not get the tank valve closed before I realized where the air was escaping. Always wear eye protection and my noise cancelling muffs, just so I don't get charged extra in stupid tax if anything goes drastically wrong.