Are Taipan Veterans pellet picky?

For those of you who are lucky enough to own a Taipan Veteran, I'm curious if they are picky about pellet selection?

I'm extremely interested in one of those guns but was curious about that. For example my FX Maverick with the standard superior liner shoots most things really well. I really like that about the gun.

My Benjamin Cayden on the other hand is very picky about ammo selection. I've tried at least a dozen different pellets, plus a few different slugs and the gun only liked 4 of them.

I know not every gun/barrel is the same, but I'm still curious how picky your Taipan Veterans are.

What's your intended use of the Vet? Pesting, plinking ...?
I target-shoot mostly, with some occasional pesting. The Vets are quite versatile and robust.
My use would be the same as yours, which is why I prefer my guns to be versatile on ammo selection. I typically shoot the JSB exacts for paper and prefer an expanding projectile for pesting.

The Vets are the least pellet/slug rifle fussy of any brand in my stable.

That sounds really good! 👍🏼

🔹Would you share what SLUGS have worked for you (incl. diameter)?

🔹What is a typical group size (non-cherry picked) for the Vet with the slug(s) that the Vet didn't fuss about (and at what range)?

Your information will help a lot of people tremendously. Thanks. 👍🏼

Matthias

On my recommendation two members bought Taipan Veterans, both were hard sells both are over the moon with their's.
I've been shooting a .22 standard for a couple years, like the guy above said "if it won't shoot JSB 18's get rid of it...it will...I use the 18gr for higher power and CP domes & HP's for lower power, the domes work better than the HP's but neither as well as the 18's, that's all I ever shot out of mine...I'm satisfied with that. Don't overthink getting a Vereran...it's almost unheard of for someone not liking/loving a Veteran...I HIGHLY recommend you give one a try!!!

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
The 22 long will fit all your needs unless you are planning on going after something bigger than a raccoon. I have 3 Vets, one in each caliber. The 22 is the most versatile of them all. It will shoot the cheap Crosman pellets from Walmart really well, it loves the 18 grain JSB’s and will stack the 25 grain Monster re-designed on top of each other at over 960 feet per second. The 25 is also a great gun but your going to be paying quite a bit more for ammo and it will be more difficult to find than .22 pellets. My .22 does have a few mods to hit 52 FPE but nothing over the top.

That sounds really good! 👍🏼

🔹Would you share what SLUGS have worked for you (incl. diameter)?

🔹What is a typical group size (non-cherry picked) for the Vet with the slug(s) that the Vet didn't fuss about (and at what range)?

Your information will help a lot of people tremendously. Thanks. 👍🏼

Matthias
🤔
Would you like me to include the temperature, wind conditions, longitude, latitude, elevation, barometric pressure and moon phase that the various projectiles were tested at as well?
I promise to get right on it.

• Haha
Reactions: JungleShooter
.22 Veteran owner here, x3-Short, Standard, and Long.
None of the three OEM barrels liked slugs and none of the 3 barrels liked the 25.4gr Monsters, Redesigns or Original. Also, none of the 3 liked the pellets cast from the 19.6 grain NOE pellet mold.

BUT, all three were/are exceptional with JSB: 13.43, 14.35, and 18.13gr pellets.

(For Matthias: all three weights pellets I mentioned would do about 1/2 inch 5 shot groups @ 50-60 yards and 3/4 inch 10 shot groups at the same distance. Elevation of 5600 feet. Barometric pressure of 29.82 inches of Mercury. Moon phase: waxing crescent. RELATIVE humidity of 32%, ambient temp of 72 degrees, (Fahrenheit). Shot due east with a setting sun behind me (including that so you can account for Coriolis, oh yeah, Northern hemisphere). Pellets unsorted and not lubed, lot # of 6093214, 2019 vintage, purchased from Pyramyd air on the 3rd Weds of the month (that's when they get their highest quality shipments in from JSB) shot from Lifetime brand 4 foot foldable table (not the 6 footer, too much bow in the middle), and a Chinesium Atlas bipod clone with the hard plastic feet (no spikes here) up front and a homemade pantsleg rear bag with rubber mulch as a filler. Scope was a 20x SWFA, vintage 2017, set at 20x (that's the important part) with the ocular adjusted about 2/3rds of the way out, Butler creek eye caps. Sorry, no info on how recently the barrels had been cleaned, but I had probably done so with Slick 50 One Lube cuz that was my jam at the time. Oh yeah, single fed, not magazine.I think I had my adidas mundial goals on my feet, probably Levi's for pants, Fruit of the loom Tshirt-gray cuz it cuts down on glare. Hanes socks and undies).

Last edited:
None of the three OEM barrels liked slugs and none of the 3 barrels liked the 25.4gr Monsters, Redesigns or Original.

Frank,

your response nailed it (well, 99%). Thank you. 👍🏼

My question about the slug groups was precisely because I wanted more than vague hearsay like a "Vets shoot slugs great".
So, your Vets apparently did slug groups much worse than the pellet results you reported.

🔸I really would love to hear concrete evidence to proove that Vets DO shoot slugs well..... Maybe bamavet can provide it. 👍🏼

Now, Frank
, I'm so happy for you that buying JSB from PA on the 3rd Wednesday of the month has worked out well for you.
I have heard through the grapevine that they will change that to the 6th Monday of the month.... 🤨

And thank you for sharing the brand name of your undies with us, experienced shooters always have a TRICK up their sleeve (or covering their a$$es 😄). —— Just watch, as airgun competition shooters will adopt this trick the average scores at the competitions will rise by 3.06%. (Until the admins step in and regulate that detail as well.)

Thanks for the neat write-up, Frank, I really enjoyed reading it. Twice! 🤣

Matthias

Reactions: bamavet55
None of the three OEM barrels liked slugs and none of the 3 barrels liked the 25.4gr Monsters, Redesigns or Original. Also, none of the 3 liked the pellets cast from the 19.6 grain NOE pellet mold.

BUT, all three were/are exceptional with JSB: 13.43, 14.35, and 18.13gr pellets.

(For Matthias: all three weights pellets I mentioned would do about 1/2 inch 5 shot groups @ 50-60 yards and 3/4 inch 10 shot groups at the same distance. Elevation of 5600 feet. Barometric pressure of 29.82 inches of Mercury. Moon phase: waxing crescent. RELATIVE humidity of 32%, ambient temp of 72 degrees, (Fahrenheit). Shot due east with a setting sun behind me (including that so you can account for Coriolis, oh yeah, Northern hemisphere). Pellets unsorted and not lubed, lot # of 6093214, 2019 vintage, purchased from Pyramyd air on the 3rd Weds of the month (that's when they get their highest quality shipments in from JSB) shot from Lifetime brand 4 foot foldable table (not the 6 footer, too much bow in the middle), and a Chinesium Atlas bipod clone with the hard plastic feet (no spikes here) up front and a homemade pantsleg rear bag with rubber mulch as a filler. Scope was a 20x SWFA, vintage 2017, set at 20x (that's the important part) with the ocular adjusted about 2/3rds of the way out, Butler creek eye caps. Sorry, no info on how recently the barrels had been cleaned, but I had probably done so with Slick 50 One Lube cuz that was my jam at the time. Oh yeah, single fed, not magazine.I think I had my adidas mundial goals on my feet, probably Levi's for pants, Fruit of the loom Tshirt-gray cuz it cuts down on glare. Hanes socks and undies).
Regulator set pressure? Did you use regulator pressure tester? If so, what name brand? Was it digital or analog(ue)?
Velocity of projectile?
Hammer spring position?
Trigger pull weight?
Moderator? Brand and size?
Time interval between shots?
Where are your hands placed on the rifle during the shot cycle? Tight or loose grip?
Name brand of chronograph? Was chronograph accuracy cross-checked for accuracy?
Have you ever considered carrying a rabbit's foot in your right rear jeans pocket when testing Zan slugs? FYI: I use my left front pocket when using JSB slugs for best results.
Not that I'm anal retentive or otherwise afflicted.

I really would love to hear concrete evidence to proove that Vets DO shoot slugs well..... Maybe bamavet can provide it. 👍🏼
Please send me the slugs -- and other projectiles -- you wish to have tested.
I'll be sure to film the tests, for authentication purposes. My next door neighbor and my second cousin will be more than happy to witness the tests and sign affidavits -- notarized of course -- attesting to the veracity of the results.
AL

All this for a simple question of group sizes for slugs?
I find it hard to understand why there’s always a confrontational style to your responses when someone questions something you’ve wrote, or asks for proof. I feel like you’re akin to the 1shot1kill guy that was short lived here with his bs statements on fx rifles. A simple answer to a simple question would have sufficed, and been very helpful for both the OP, AND other vet owners that have had very bad luck shooting slugs!

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
"...when someone questions something you’ve wrote, or asks for proof."
Excuse my prickliness, but is not questioning and asking for proof, confrontational by definition?
Any in event, I detected a bit of snark in the questioner's comment and I responded in kind.
The ignore feature of this fine forum is there for a reason. Use it. I promise not to lose any sleep over it.
PS: The fellow in my avatar is my gardener. I like him a lot.😉
Think about it...