• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Are Slugs Closing the Gap

Sorry if this has already been asked, but with all the slug options available now, and a lot of rifles having the ability adjust the power, have slugs (hybrids included) closed the gap between 22 and 25?

Stick with me now. When 25 came out, it upped the size of animal people felt comfortable taking that they may not have felt comfortable using with 22. Then 30 came out, and it happened again...but, with the ability to up the power, and the introduction of slugs, there was talk of if the 30 still being a good choice over the 25. Want bigger? Skip the 30 and go 35. I get it.

But now, there are some really good slugs (hybrids included) available in all calibers. So, has this changed the game again? Are slugs making more people rethink the need of a 25 over the 22. The 22 has more options in ammo (pellets and slugs, quality and quantity), the ammo seems to be less expensive, and again, with ability to adjust power being in play, the 22 has the option of plinking at a lower cost than 25, and some really good hunting ammo. With a 25, you still don't have a caliber needed to hunt larger animals.

I'm trying to knock anyone's choice of rifle caliber...I have, or had everything from 22 to 35. Now I'm older, and looking to simplify. I recently purchased a 22 Impact (simplified?) , and looking to add that larger caliber. I'm kinda thinking that with slugs 22 will cover a lot of what a lot of people chose the 25 for, and if you do need that larger caliber the 35 covers the rest...within reason. I'm not talking hunting water buffalo.

I guess what I'm asking is: have slugs made it possible to only have two calibers 22 and 35? All bases covered...

I just had a similar conversation with my buddy. Told him if I ever decide to streamline my airgun arsenal, I am just going to have a .177 and a .22 that shoots pellets and slugs. Every animal that will go belly up with a .25 will go belly up with a .22 slug. The gun will still have to be a pellet shooter for volume shooting and for safety shooting. I have found in my slug journey that your airgun now has to be treated as a rimfire. I hope guys jumping on the slug wagon do the same.

Closing the gap I would have to say yes. Will it ever be completely closed not likely. There are always going to be gaps where one caliber is a bit better than the other for range or power purposes. The .22 will never cover the .25 or .30 calibers completely. But I kind of agree with your .22 and .35 caliber choices. I currently have .177, .25, 30 caliber barrels for my Impact. I do want a .22 for the reasons you described and probly a .35 just so I can say I have one. Have a Crosman pistol in .35 and a second I converted to .35 carbine and arrowgun as well. Blasting things with the big .35 pellets is very satisfying for sure.

I shoot spinners in my yard with 3 calibers the .22 shooting with the most velocity, near 100fps faster than the .30 cal. The .30 without a doubt hits the hardest fallowed by the .25. I'm talking pellet for pellet only. The .22 is the most economical to shoot and with (shot placement and range) considered a .177 will do the job. I think .30 is a little over kill for sparrows. I don't have a .22 cal that will shoot the 25gr RDs well so 18gr is what i shoot. Sorry if I rambled but my point is its like saying a .22 magnum will do what a 308 will.

So my 2 cents says kinda. The hybrids have better bc but they don't really allow for more penetration so I think they are out of the game as far is punching above thier pay grade. They are great expanders tho. Now a true slug most definitely does more work on bigger game than pellets. I use rabbit magnum 2 in my dads Gamo urban and even though they fly at around 750 fps they really penetrate the raccoons I shoot. In a higher power gun those would really dominate. However I wouldn't really go pig hunting with a 22 slug. I would go pig hunting with a 25 slug though. So I guess I would say they do kinda close the gap but depends on your game. Also overkill is underrated watch airgun evolution Channel when he kills pidgens with the bulldog and you will know what I'm talking about. 

1588850767_6719786155eb3f04f5ef287.05173161.jpg
If you try this at home bring floss because you will be pulling feathers out of your teeth. 

I’ve owned a 30cal FX bobcat and then moved down to .25 cal impact and I’ve always had .25 cal Airguns after that because I thought they were the best for hunting but now I find myself about to buy a FX Impact MK2 .22 cal!! Because if you look at my pictures shown below .25 and .22 is so close and almost the same. So why not go for .22? More shots per fill and cheaper ammo :) And I’m only talking about slugs here pellets are a very different story 

1588867107_18018601475eb43023a5f689.13686919.jpeg
1588867108_9829865605eb430245f2760.15688372.jpeg

Caliber biases are quite absurd IMO. Slugs aren't closing any gap, the gap remains the same due to physics and the calibers respective limitations, .22 cals aren't magically out performing .25 cals any more than a .25 cal will ever out perform a .30 cal...if we apply the same logic of .22 cals closing a gap between them and .25 cals, then .25 cals should be closing gaps for .30 cals...but that is not a discussion around these parts is it?

I really don't understand this debate...its misleading and just a bunch of opinion, with no practical data.

.25 cals still will have a higher BC than a .22 cal when scaled up equally.

.25 cals will still have higher energy output potential, and can still plink at lower energies, I don't know many people taking 100 yard + shots with sub 20 fpe consistently...general low power plinking is coupled with shorter distance / paper targets that a .25 cal can easily be detuned for in terms of 'efficient' shot counts, so .22 again doesn't out perform by any large margin here either...in fact, the calibers are so similar, their margins have always been, and always be, minimal, but present.

Am I biased towards .25 cal? Do I feel there is a 'best' caliber? No, that is subjective, but it certainly is the 'best' caliber for me and suits my needs 100%.

The short answer, is NO...slugs aren't closing the gap, the gap is an expression of physics and their respective limitations.

.177 to .35 surely .25 has the middle ground covered.

We need to see what JSB and H&N bring to the .25 slug party

What is needed is a gun that can tune down (easily) to plink or take out rats and pigeons with the cheaper lighter (20gr) .25 pellets, and tune back up to throw heavy (40gr+) slugs out at high speed and take out larger game, pigs cotes (foxes around these parts).

costs .22 v .25, consideration yes,

but if it means buying two guns a ,22 and a .35 or even a extra FX barrel kit, whats that extra cost cover you in the .22 v .25 price debate. gr for gr.

someone else can do the maths.

I really don't understand this debate...its misleading and just a bunch of opinion, with no practical data.

.25 cals still will have a higher BC than a .22 cal when scaled up equally.

And there is IMO the error in your argument ..... For the most part that simply is not happening and the .22's will always be shorter than the .25's therefor having less weight and unequal SD and differing BC values.

Your argument is sound .. but reality in what we actually get to shoot in each caliber is something different.

IMO ...

When I go pesting lately I will take three airguns with me. They are all set-up and at times in different calibers and different power levels. Basically one is good for indoor pesting to avoid roof damage, one with pellets in the mid power range of about 30 fpe and my long range slug rig. With each particularly pest I might use different weights and types of projectiles that are either good for expansion or penetration. The idea is to tailor your rifle's ammo and power to best do the job. With that in mind it would be hard for me to limit myself to just one or two calibers or ammo combinations. Bill