• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Are pump action air rifles good now?

I like my Sheridans very much indeed, but it hurts me to shoot up the .20 cal pellets I have left in the yellow and red tombstone boxes, wot with them going for up to 20 cents PER PELLET on Ebay :-(
So… got me a $60 Daisy 880 (included that little 4X scope everybody seems to hate) at the local Walmart today. Plastic receiver, pump handle, stock, and made in China. Dry patched the barrel, attached that scope and tried it out this evening, rested, at 10 meters. I’m very pleased, so far, and it should be fun to shoot offhand since it’s so light, and only a couple cents per pellet!

IMG_7745.jpeg

Last edited:
When you think about it, a PCP is just a multipump pneumatic without a built in pump. You can pump them up by hand just like you do with a Crosman or a Sheridan, there just happens to be a hose connecting the gun and the pump and the pump design is somewhat different. Both still operate on the same basic principle of compressing air manually by means of forcing a piston down a narrow cylinder however.

What makes a multipump pneumatic convenient is that the pump it uses is very compact and lightweight and generally the entire rifle weighs under 6 lbs. So why is it that if we want to manually pump a PCP we need a pump that's 30"x10" and weighs as much as an entire MPP rifle? We really should be able to blur the line between these two and create small and compact pumps for PCP's and air conserving pumpers that are built to a high standard of quality.

I like my Sheridans very much indeed, but it hurts me to shoot up the .20 cal pellets I have left in the yellow and red tombstone boxes, wot with them going for up to 20 cents PER PELLET on Ebay :-(
So… got me a $60 Daisy 880 (included that little 4X scope everybody seems to hate) at the local Walmart today. Plastic receiver, pump handle, stock, and made in China. Dry patched the barrel, attached that scope and tried it out this evening, rested, at 10 meters. I’m very pleased, so far, and it should be fun to shoot offhand since it’s so light, and only a couple cents per pellet!

View attachment 408300
Save the vintage pellets and look for either H&N FTT's or JSB Kings in .20. Both shoot excellent in my Silver Streak. Airguns of Arizona, Utah Airguns and Pyramyd Air are a few places that should have both.

do they make the Seneca Aspen in .177 any more ? all i see is .22 and .25 , If i got one ($249 right now ) i would get the .25 .
I've got one and it's one of the rifles I've been disappointed by, but for $250 you may as well pick one up. The stock is super cheap and the shroud is pretty much a shroud in name only, but it's easy to add a few baffles to it and they will go a long way towards quieting it's bark. Don't get the moderator adaptor. The shroud is not securely held in alignment with the barrel, so if you put a moderator on it you are extremely likely to get baffle strikes. Insteadm just cut some pieces of 3/4" copper pipe and use those along with some washers as baffles. They turned out to be more effective than the 0 db moderator I put on it and unlike the mod I didn't get any baffle strikes.

Reactions: beerthief