• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Are pellets like bullets afa stabilizing after fired

Pellets tend to stabilize themselves in the air. Slugs tend to need more spin to stabilize. Shorter ranges are usually better accuracy out of pellets.

I've never bought the "go to sleep" bit about bullets (or slugs). IMO, if a gun is set up to shoot slugs then pellet accuracy at short range can easily match the slug accuracy but is unlikely to exceed it. Pellets are probably easier to get and it is seemingly much easier to find some that will generally shoot well for most shooters. And they are safer for their shorter range.

They are different;I have read some informative articles on pellet stabilization,please google articles on the whys and hows of pellet shapes ,barrel twists ,the FPS ,etc....

I say this because I find those reads interesting and helps my knowledge base.

Just me saying they are different is not really helping you,remember pellets are traveling a lot slower and need to be accurate right out of the barrel so to speak....if not how would they be able to shoot one hole groups at 10yards or less.

i'd say if youre gonna stick with pellets then yes, some are going to be more stable at distance than others .. the main idea of pellet flight specifically is it uses the skirt to stabilize by the direct interaction in the air .. this of course is combined with the gyroscopic stabilizing effect of the spin from the rifling .. the 2 forces can help or hurt each other depending on pellet, gun, and situation .. theres alot of scenarios .. just one that may or may not be a factor in your situation is a pellet tends to stabilize immediately in the air and the rifling can actually 'de'-stabilize it right out of the muzzle and then it may or may not straighten up further down range ... this has alot to do with the gun and its barrel .. a different pellet may not be affected as much, or changing the speed may help .. so i dont think your over-thinking it .. its just hard to say specifically .. figuring things out is all part of the fun lol ..

Which pellets are you using. Airguns, in general, are pellet finicky. I'd suggest posting to Armada owners to find what pellets/speed works best with your gun so as not to fork out cash for pellets that just don't perform well. It's good to have a Chrony to know what speed your gun is shooting at. Most pellet guns are usually in the 800-900fps range but it can really vary. For me, it was part of the fun of learning about PCP's but there WERE moments of frustration. Good Luck! 

Right now. Trying to sort through..

.22 JSB Hades 15.89gr

Crosman Premiers 14.3gr

RWS Super Field 15.9gr

H&N Hornets 16.2gr and I've got some 

JSB diabolo heavy's at 18.3gr. Which I assume are the ones designed for distance.

Having better luck with the Hades and Premiers. Some caveats though. I'm shooting off a tripod, in standing position (in a cluttered basement) so my technique is still at play a little. I can generally tell if I pull a shot though.

Truth be told, I haven't "technically" been shooting groups. I'm just putting dots the size of a sharpie point on cardboard and shooting at those. Trying to regain some muscle memory. (It's been a few years since I've shot in earnest)..

I am using a scope set pretty low. But to set up a table in my basement would practically require a remodel...

That's how I shoot groups. Aim at dot and shoot 10 times, shake my head, rinse, repeat.

Hi, being able to shot accurate groups is the only way I know to evaluate your guns performance, determine the best pellet and sight your scope in. The tripod in the link below has a gun grip. This maybe a good option. The grip is sold separately and might fit on your tripod. I can't find any info on how wide the grip opens, there is a small chance your Armada might be to wide. Order it from Amazon and you can easily return it if doesn't workout.

https://www.amazon.com/DeathGrip-Aluminum-Lightweight-Hands-Free-Operation/dp/B07KMPCVMH?ref_=ast_sto_dp

You could clam a 6" piece of 2×4 wrapped in an old towel and rotate the grim 90deg to make a nice rest to shot from once the gun and ammo is all sorted.