Are my wants Unrealistic (fx crown .22)

I have been lurking here for a little while I don’t really post much but I spend every night when the kids to go bed reading and trying to learn. 
I started into Airguns almost a year ago with my first purchase being an aea hp standard custom in .25 cal. Love the gun but there are some things I don’t like. I am a very avid squirrel hunter they are extremely plentiful where I live and love to cook them. 
I am looking to purchase a new fix crown in .22 cal the most I really want to shoot is may 23g max slugs most shoot fix hybrids because I have had such amazing luck with them from my aea. 
I want to be able to achieve a decent shot count. I would really like to get 60 shots per fill on average with the fox hybrid slugs. Do you feel as if this would be possible from a 500mm heavy liner on the stock bottle pushing 920ish or so? Is that the best liner to go with. I am not extremely concerned with length but don’t want to go up to a 700mm since I will be grasping around the woods. I don’t want a impact or bull pup of any kind really I am more tradition rifle kinds you and my aea is 43 inches long but I have never been in the woods and thought to my self man I wish this rife was shorter. I guess what I am asking would that set up be something I could achieve easily or should I chose a different barrel length or liner and go with a bigger bottle. 

any help is greatly appreciated. 

I get 56 shots with slugs going 910fps out of a 500mm Impact with a 300cc bottle. But I have to fill to 265b. Like some others have eluded to, if your worried about shot count with slugs, you’re crippling yourself. When you are fortunate enough to get ethical accuracy out of a slug, you take what the gun gives you. I don’t need to worry about shot count hunting squirrels in my state. It’s a 6 squirrel a day limit so a shot count of 12 or so will get it done. If a Crown is your dream gun, buy it. You’ll get a good many shots If you don’t try to push your 500mm into doing something a 600 or 700mm will do easily. That’s where most guys wind up making a mess of things, get the gun hogging air and acting all crazy.

No need for a heavy liner. I use a normal superior liner in my 500mm Crown .22, and it shoots 21-25gr slugs lights out. Upward of 100 shots. A little over 32fpe. (custom port work, and 125bar tune) I can run this up to 50fpe, but shot count does go down a lot.

20211126_024230_edited.1644890120.jpg

You will be fine! The crown is an all around jewel! Just don’t get hung up on speed or a certain weight? The .218 20 grn nsa slugs shoot lights out at 900 and are more than enough to cleanly kill a squirrel at 150! And you will exceed your shot count expectations, Or shoot the KO at slower speeds, you will be passing through squirrels either way. I would highly suggest tuning for accuracy, whatever that is will knock the hell out of squirrels! + or - a couple decimals of a mil, big deal.👍🏻 

Hi, I own a gen 1 Fx crown. I have it set up with a 600mm superior heavy liner, the reg on 160 bar, the transfer port on max, the internal hammer spring adjuster on max and the external hammer spring adjuster on 3. I also have a donny fl koi on it. This is giving me 930 fps with nielson’s specialty 23 gr. Slugs. Accuracy is very good, it is super quiet, and I’m getting around 72 shots per fill. (Or 4 magazine’s full)

I recommend going with at least a 600mm barrel. With a 500mm you’ll have trouble getting the speeds you want without having it "cough"air. This plays havoc with accuracy and reduces your shot count. If I had my choice I’d have a 700mm barrel. The crown is a really good gun as i have it set up. The trigger is good, it’s quiet fast accurate and smooth. I did have one issue with it, I posted my fix to it on here; "No.1 best mod for gen 1 crown" that made all the difference but I don’t know if the mk 2 crown has that issue or not. 
Best of luck. 

Reactions: Youngjoonni
I don't know what kind of range you need, but I would second the recommendation to be focused more on accuracy than power.I killed 2 squirrels today with a .177 and 10 g pellets, tuned to about 13 fpe. Distances were 30-35 yards, squirrels were dead when they hit the ground. With a suppressor, the rifle is darn near silent. Even with a small cylinder, I'm probably getting 50-60 shots on the reg. 

A Crown .22 is a great choice, they are fantastic rifles in my opinion. I had a .25 that was very accurate, and the .30 barrel kit was very accurate too. I never shot slugs, but here’s a picture of what the .30 barrel could do at 100 yards with pellets and it is a stock out of the box rifle, no tuning. They are light weight and they shoulder well, good hunting rifle in my opinion.
1EE8381B-2BAD-470F-9DCA-CE7C4AD89D89.1644925159.jpeg

oh definitely bigger bottle with an accurate gun like that, you want at least 80-90 kills per fill in squirrel wonderland to feed the family lol ....

I actually do. Me and both my sons will take the same gun that’s 30 squirrels a trip where I live you get a few miles in the woods you don’t want to walk back out for air with 3 people taking shots through out the day. 

I have no experience with a FX Crown but I do have a little experience killing squirrels with my air rifles. Maybe you already know this but you don't need the kind of power you are talking about to take a squirrel cleanly. My P35 is tuned to shoot the H&N FTT pellets it likes (20 grains) at about 895 now but hasn't taken a squirrel since I cleaned up the barrel port and it was shooting at 875 then. So about 35 ft lbs. I have taken 14 squirrels with it so far and none has moved more than a few feet after impact. Most have just dropped. I shot 15 with my little Prod (22 caliber) and it likes copper plated FTTs, 14.66 grains. It shoots them a little over 700 fps for about 17 ft. lbs. I only lost 1 squirrel after I increased it's power to this level - so 1 of the last 11. That squirrel was brain shot and flipped into a rotted area at the base of my "killing tree".

My shots are 30 yards or less so far which is about as far as I would want to use the Prod. But I expect the P35 will be good to 50 yards or so. More is not a bad thing but I've only had 3 squirrels hit with the P35 that didn't go right on through. A 22 tuned to 35 ft. lbs would penetrate better. 25-30 ft. lbs should be plenty in a 22 caliber. You will give up penetration if you get expansion, however, but I don't think you need it. But if you shoot slugs they all seem to be hollow points. Penetration with my P35 shooting 28 grain Slug HPs at a little under 800 fps - where they opened up some - was about the same as my Prod shooting FTT pellets. That should work fine but round nose pellets of that weight penetrate about twice as far in wet magazines - my favorite test medium. 

So if you wanted more shots you cold probably scale the power back a bit. It makes a big difference.

i get 50+ shots out of my crown mk2 600mm barrel, with nsa 24.8gr slugs at 965fps

this gun is used for pest birds on the farm and my barn kitties are about draggin there bellies

on the ground !!!

got 6 fixed cats and between rats, birds and other farm pest critters, we just supply them water and a nice place to sleep to get out of the weather !!

our dogs get along with them ok and the kitties dont mess with my yard pimps either !

crown long range.1645050205.jpg

pearls before swine

I clearly understand the value of the 700cc bottle probably will be what I may go with if I end up getting a 30cal barrel in the future. More air is always better. 

thank you every one for the replies I greatly appreciate it. My ranges are pretty much unlimited I have taken squirrels and birds out to 152 yard currently and I was ecstatic I was able to make a humane shot that far.