• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RAW Rapid Are my expectations to high?

maybe get it working at shorter distance say 15 yards then moving to 25
Wind flags are cheap and even just 2 or 3 out to 50 will give you a lot to work with
I have them but didn’t set them up today since most of the range was under water. May just wait til the weather clears up here in NY before I do any more testing.

Wondering if switching to slugs would do better in the wind at 50 yards? It is almost always windy here so waiting for a dead calm day is almost non existent.
I only shoot pellets so can’t comment on slugs. And I feel you on the wind, very rarely do I have calm let alone consistent. Out of my 700mm .25 Maverick I shoot 33’s and found 920-930fps best. Definitely try all the “JSB” variants. King Heavy, MK2, and FX. Mine likes FX best. Also does very well with the JTS dead center 33.8’s at the same speed. Raw’s are from what I’ve read and seen are more than capable of accuracy, just have to find what works for you

Reactions: Raydee38
Wondering if switching to slugs would do better in the wind at 50 yards? It is almost always windy here so waiting for a dead calm day is almost non existent.
Ray, not to throw more variables into the mix, but we never got an answer whether your gun was .22 or .25 caliber?

My .25 is very accurate with 33.95 JSB at 50/100 yards ........ not the .22 caliber. Right now the .22 shots 18.13 best, even at 100 yards.
In (very) low wind conditions my RAW HM1000x in .25 (910 fps) can shoot 1 MOA groups at 100 yard (2 to 3 groups) out of 5 total - (these were 5 shot groups).

In the same conditions, my .22 RAW HM1000x can shoot 18.13 JSB (915/925 fps) - 2 groups out of 5 (MOA) at 100 yards.

I'm sure the other groups could be improved if I had better technique/eyesight ......... :p

I'd tighten stock screws, clean the barrel, check the crown and load single by hand ..................... see what happens.

PS: I don't think UA changed anything from what Martin set up.
IIRC, Martin sets up .25 cal with 33.95 JSB and .22 cal with 25.39 JSB's.

Last edited:
At 50 yards, I haven't found a slug which shoots better than JSB pellets .......... I wouldn't go there anytime soon -> things will get even more confusing as that will require a drastic change the fundamental OEM tune. Then were really going down the rabbit hole :unsure: .

I know ........ cause I've done ito_O.

I checked scope and rings but will bore scope the barrel. I am not using a LDC on this rifle. Wind was about 5 or 6 mph with slightly higher gusts today but def mild wind most of the time.
I remember seeing a post somewhere where a moderator helped a RAW with accuracy maybe because of a perceived bernouli effect, might help to try add one for a few shots.

I own one of the .25 RAW HM1000X-LRTs. At 50 yards, 1/2" to 3/4" groups - one large ragged hole are typical. I shoot the JSB King Heavy MK1 pellets in mine at 875 fps at the muzzle. It will have an SD across 40 shots of less than 5 fps.

In short yours should do better than what you are depicting and do it consistently.

BTW - I have tried various slugs with very disappointing results. It is meant to shoot pellets.

That is why I asked if I am expecting too much for a PCP rifle.
I clean the barrel with a pull through patch worm and Balistol for a cleaner. I am thinking about trying not to clean and see if it starts to shoot better, I have had rimfire barrels that shot better dirty in the past.
I do a pull through patch on a weed eater string that has the end blobbed. No solvent except in rare instances when I believe a deep cleaning is necessary. I'm mostly trying to remove any loose lead before it builds up.

I live in the fens (uk) it’s as flat as a witches tit here so wind is always problematic, your best bet is very early morning or late evening, the wind frequently drops right off. Another option is to find some shelter, hard up against a fence , tree line or better still inside a building.

Don’t bother with 15yards, the pellets take time to stabilise, 25yards is a starting point but with the speed and weight you are shooting 30-35yards would be more indicative of group size.

I have yet to find a slug that will outshoot a pellet at any range less than 80yards

Bb

I live in the fens (uk) it’s as flat as a witches tit here so wind is always problematic, your best bet is very early morning or late evening, the wind frequently drops right off. Another option is to find some shelter, hard up against a fence , tree line or better still inside a building.

Don’t bother with 15yards, the pellets take time to stabilise, 25yards is a starting point but with the speed and weight you are shooting 30-35yards would be more indicative of group size.

I have yet to find a slug that will outshoot a pellet at any range less than 80yards

Bb
The biggest problem here and one I have always had is that I live in the City and can only shoot at local ranges. I am lucky to have a few nice ones in the area but both shooting early and late are prohibited so I am always contending with wind except on rare occasions.

Because of RAWs reputation I don’t think there is anything faulty with the rifle, I think I am just expecting centerfire and rimfire accuracy out of a pellet in the wind. I have a lot more tuning to do, my last group yesterday looked promising but I had to quit for the day because the range got extremely busy. I plan to start using my wind flags more also so I can pick and choose the best shots for testing.

Reactions: bucketboy
The biggest problem here and one I have always had is that I live in the City and can only shoot at local ranges. I am lucky to have a few nice ones in the area but both shooting early and late are prohibited so I am always contending with wind except on rare occasions.

Because of RAWs reputation I don’t think there is anything faulty with the rifle, I think I am just expecting centerfire and rimfire accuracy out of a pellet in the wind. I have a lot more tuning to do, my last group yesterday looked promising but I had to quit for the day because the range got extremely busy. I plan to start using my wind flags more also so I can pick and choose the best shots for testing.
Yes wind can be a real challenge but that all part of the airgun experience if you do get a still day then can expect some seriously impressive groups.

RAW are normally rock solid performers but it is always worth checking for a loose screw or doggy probe or mag. If all of those are ok then it’s definitely worth trying different pellets, they can make a huge difference

Here is a 25yard card, a full 17 shot magazine shot from my sub12fpe.177, best 5 shot group from this gun @100yards were all on a 5/8” spinner, on a windy day I would do well to keep the group inside 6”

2840D891-C79C-4F4D-B40D-EE206D9D259C.jpeg

Yes wind can be a real challenge but that all part of the airgun experience if you do get a still day then can expect some seriously impressive groups.

RAW are normally rock solid performers but it is always worth checking for a loose screw or doggy probe or mag. If all of those are ok then it’s definitely worth trying different pellets, they can make a huge difference

Here is a 25yard card, a full 17 shot magazine shot from my sub12fpe.177, best 5 shot group from this gun @100yards were all on a 5/8” spinner, on a windy day I would do well to keep the group inside 6”

View attachment 442215
.177 is a whole lot of fun in the wind because a head and tail wind are very noticeably in play. Something I hadn't considered until after putting decent wind flags out. Even at 50yds I found I was holding 1/4" over for a moderate head wind

Yeah Ray,
When I first joined my gun range, shooting before 9AM wasn't allowed because of noise to the surrounding neighborhoods.
However, because I used a good moderator on my gun, I petitioned the "Board" of the gun range to change their rules for airguns.
They agreed to a 1 month trial period where I shot before 9AM, (usually at 6:30/7:00 AM with almost no wind) -> that's when I got my first of many 1 MOA groups at 100 yards.

Since they received no complaints from the neighbors (my gun sounds like a pneumatic nail gun), they changed the rules so airgunner's can now shoot from daybreak to regular closing time.

This was an amazing change which many airgunner's jumped on .... the range also understood the current conversion to airguns by many former powder burners.

Kirk, the rifle was bought new from Utah Air. Honestly I am used to shoot one hole groups with my bench rest powder burners but I know 50 yards with pellets will be more challenging.
It is very easy to put pellet on pellet at 50 yards with a good combination of rifle+scope+pellet.

Air rifles like or dislike pellets, no matter what other riflre of other or the same manufacturer like.

Try H&N Baracudas. On my Daystate rifles they work much better than JSB's.

I purchased a RAW HM1000X in .25 about 3 months ago and was told that it was tuned for 33.95gr JSB pellets shooting around 900fps. I am weight and head sorting pellets and while the SD and ES are fantastic I am not having any
luck with grouping at 50 yards. I have tried lowing the fps to about 865 to 910 without much of a difference. I recently decided to try a barrel tuner like I use on my Rimfire and centerfire rifles and there have been some spots that look promising. I am wondering if maybe trying a different weight or manufacturers pellet may be worth a shot or am I just expecting too much from a pcp rifle? I am only looking to use this rifle for bench rest so shooting small is the goal.

I have attached a tuner test from this morning.

View attachment 442001
These groups would be normal for my skills at 80 yards.....

Last edited: