• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RAW Rapid Are my expectations to high?

I purchased a RAW HM1000X in .25 about 3 months ago and was told that it was tuned for 33.95gr JSB pellets shooting around 900fps. I am weight and head sorting pellets and while the SD and ES are fantastic I am not having any
luck with grouping at 50 yards. I have tried lowing the fps to about 865 to 910 without much of a difference. I recently decided to try a barrel tuner like I use on my Rimfire and centerfire rifles and there have been some spots that look promising. I am wondering if maybe trying a different weight or manufacturers pellet may be worth a shot or am I just expecting too much from a pcp rifle? I am only looking to use this rifle for bench rest so shooting small is the goal.

I have attached a tuner test from this morning.

IMG_1363.jpeg

Last edited:
You don't specify the caliber, but I'm going to assume you are talking about 25 not 22.

A few things you can try/consider:

-There are two different variants of the 25 cal JSB 33.95s. Mk1 and Mk2. Barrels seem to prefer one over the other, so perhaps this is why you are seeing lackluster results if it was tuned for one but you're using the other.

-Simply raising or lowering FPS is not the same as tuning. Reg pressure, hammer spring tension, and other factors depending on the gun all need to be balanced to use air optimally and ensure good stability.

-Yes, absolutely try different pellets. Weights and brands. I typically have somewhere between 6-10 different pellets to test with when determining a good setup for a new gun. Trying to force one pellet to work can be an incredible waste of time. And just because whoever said the gun was tuned for a specific pellet (those JSB 33.95s in your case) it doesn't mean that was the best pellet for that gun/barrel. Just means they did allegedly optimize the tune for that pellet.

So can it be out of tune and still have very low ES and SD over the chrono?
Yes, your measurements simply show the pellet leaves the barrel at a consistent speed.
It says nothing about how the pellet reacts from the barrel's rifling or atmosphere on the way to the target ...........

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchibi
You do have 2 exellent groups there so I know it can shoot! I have one in .22 and had the barrel professionally polished, maybe that would help? Also, try the 25gr at different speeds. Also check the crown and leade for imperfections. Another thing, check for clipping on the LDC and check and tighten all set screws, scope included. Was that target shot on a windy day, that could be a huge factor.

Reactions: maxtrouble
So can it be out of tune and still have very low ES and SD over the chrono?

Maybe. Kinda. If you are pushing too much air, it could be causing turbulence at the muzzle and impacting stability. The effect on SD might no be too noticeable. But I've never tested for that specifically so I'm not certain. Also depends on your chrono. If you're using one of those FX doppler jobbies (which I have one), they tend to dampen the outputs a bit, so your SDs can be falsely low.

Hey Ray,
Was the gun purchased new or tuned by someone other than Martin?
- What sized groups are you looking for? -> 1/2" groups or better should be obtainable most of the time (low wind) if you do your part..
Kirk, the rifle was bought new from Utah Air. Honestly I am used to shoot one hole groups with my bench rest powder burners but I know 50 yards with pellets will be more challenging.

You do have 2 exellent groups there so I know it can shoot! I have one in .22 and had the barrel professionally polished, maybe that would help? Also, try the 25gr at different speeds. Also check the crown and leade for imperfections. Another thing, check for clipping on the LDC and check and tighten all set screws, scope included. Was that target shot on a windy day, that could be a huge factor.
I checked scope and rings but will bore scope the barrel. I am not using a LDC on this rifle. Wind was about 5 or 6 mph with slightly higher gusts today but def mild wind most of the time.

Maybe. Kinda. If you are pushing too much air, it could be causing turbulence at the muzzle and impacting stability. The effect on SD might no be too noticeable. But I've never tested for that specifically so I'm not certain. Also depends on your chrono. If you're using one of those FX doppler jobbies (which I have one), they tend to dampen the outputs a bit, so your SDs can be falsely low.
I am using a Andiscan chrono. Am I correct in thinking that the only way to push less air is to turn down the hammer spring adjustment or should I really play with the main reg too. I was hoping to leave the main reg at the factory setting and tune with the hammer spring adjustment.

There are a few possibilities that could cause inaccuracies
Bad pellets
Dirty barrel
Loose barrel check the three grubscrews on top of block.
Burr on transfer port, burr on crown
Loose pellet probe, bent pellet probe, probe not seating correctly
Faulty mag, try single loading.
Loose stock bolt screw.
Inertia weight incorrectly fitted or mashed inertia weight spring.
Moderator clipping.
Inconsistent reg
Loose bottle

Last edited:
A few thoughts:
1) pellets of a given type can vary from tin to tin in terms of quality and accuracy. Sorting can reduce the issues but I'm not sure sorting can find the good pellets in a not-great tin.
2) How are you cleaning the barrel?
3) I've not attempted to use a weight tuner on my airguns although I've had good success on my powderburners. It can definitely work.
4) I know some people can shoot 50y groups in one hole with airguns. I've been doing some version of airgun benchrest for months now and I'm not even remotely close to achieving that. Slugs or pellets. Sorted or not. Lubed or not. etc. My first RFBR rig was shooting some 1/4" ctc groups at 50y within the first few boxes of ammo and within a couple months I had a couple of 10-shot groups around 1/8" ctc. So in my experience, it's vastly easier to get a RFBR rig to shoot well at 50y than an airgun.

Reactions: bucketboy
A few thoughts:
1) pellets of a given type can vary from tin to tin in terms of quality and accuracy. Sorting can reduce the issues but I'm not sure sorting can find the good pellets in a not-great tin.
2) How are you cleaning the barrel?
3) I've not attempted to use a weight tuner on my airguns although I've had good success on my powderburners. It can definitely work.
4) I know some people can shoot 50y groups in one hole with airguns. I've been doing some version of airgun benchrest for months now and I'm not even remotely close to achieving that. Slugs or pellets. Sorted or not. Lubed or not. etc. My first RFBR rig was shooting some 1/4" ctc groups at 50y within the first few boxes of ammo and within a couple months I had a couple of 10-shot groups around 1/8" ctc. So in my experience, it's vastly easier to get a RFBR rig to shoot well at 50y than an airgun.
That is why I asked if I am expecting too much for a PCP rifle.
I clean the barrel with a pull through patch worm and Balistol for a cleaner. I am thinking about trying not to clean and see if it starts to shoot better, I have had rimfire barrels that shot better dirty in the past.