Are Lead Pellets "Non-Toxic"?

Hello!
I've been doing a little research about hunting on public land in my area, and everywhere I look it says "Only Non-toxic shot allowed". I assumed they were talking about shotguns, but I didn't see any yes or no answers after some time of googling (Great verb :D). I have seen the warnings on the tins of pellets "California thinks this chemical is dangerous" etc. Hopefully this isn't a dumb question and I haven't been missing an obvious answer. Lead is toxic to humans obviously but does a .22 caliber pellet qualify as "Toxic Shot"? Thanks for the help! If nothing turns up I'll call up the local hunting authorities it would be nice if you guys had an answer though. Thanks again.
FeatherV

Yes lead pellets are toxic. The non-toxic shot that you also referred to is steel shot used in shotgun shells and are usually used in sensitive areas such as wetlands. You can also use light non-lead alloy pellets that are not popular as they are no good. Yet thinking about toxic lead pellets.......as a kid I remember us carrying these lead pellets in our mouths while hunting birds in the bush.......and I am now sixty years old and in good health.

The non-toxic steel shot in shotgun shells, used in sensitive areas such as wetlands is because the wildlife would pick it up and eat it, especially birds. Lead was also removed from paint, because babies were chewing on it and getting sick.
I too remember stupid things we did as kids, who didn't know any better. We used to rub mercury (from broken thermometers) onto pennies, between our fingers to make them silver and look like dimes. I'm also in my 60's and OK, just lucky I guess.

Thanks a lot! Wetlands are pretty popular where I'm at. Unfortunately I was under the impression that all of the non-lead pellets weren't great. Oh well, maybe I'll just have to make a whole trip of my hunts and travel to some family land. My Dad has done similar things and played with mercury, he is in good health too! Anyway thanks again!
FeatherV

"FeatherV"Thanks a lot! Wetlands are pretty popular where I'm at. Unfortunately I was under the impression that all of the non-lead pellets weren't great. Oh well, maybe I'll just have to make a whole trip of my hunts and travel to some family land. My Dad has done similar things and played with mercury, he is in good health too! Anyway thanks again!
FeatherV
All pellets are not created equal. I only use the H&N .22, 12.65gr Baracuda Green in my TX200. It's hard hitting and very accurate. 

Ballistic alloy pellets (incl H&N .22, 12.65gr Baracuda Green) are something like 90% bismuth and 10% tin as far as I know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismuth#Lead_replacement

Tin makes bismuth less brittle and quite pliable, actually. In fact, those pellets look very clean compared to JSBs out of tin. If only they shot as well as JSBs ... 

By the way, the price of bismuth has plummeted in the past year or so. It went from 12.50 a pound to less than 4. You'd think this would be reflected in the price of Bi - based pellets, but we are not seeing this.

I live in California in the "condor zone" and all for large game hunting with firearms you are required to use non lead ammo. Airguns are exempt from this reg, but it almost takes a scholar to find the specs! I shoot the lead free H&N Baracuda Greens in my .22 R9 with excellent results. Another pellet that has worked well was the PCP2 Dynamic from Prometheus. They weighed around 14 grains and shot very well. BUT then the factory retooled and the newer pellets don't seem to work as well, though I admit I haven't spent that much time with them. They keyhole out of my .22 Marauder. I think H&N may be making them now, they may be worth a try to see if they shoot well in your gun. A careful read of your state's regs may mention that airguns are exempt, give that a try as well.
John