are hybrid slugs worth it?

I’ve tried four different brands of slugs in my Crown and Wildcat. All work pretty well within 50 yards. I’ll save the dope for the Wildcat for hunting but for economy I use pellets for my tinkering and plinking. I’ve used some NSA’s for squirrels and am happy with there performance but to be honest in the 35 yards that my typical shots are, 18.13gn JSB Jumbo Diablo Heavies get the job done with authority.

Reactions: ibboone
Frankly my pellets seem to kill better than NSA's slugs. I shot one Fox squirrel that shot clear through it from front just below head out rear hip and exit was no bigger than entrance hole. My rifle is a semi and I have trouble getting pellets to function.

The FX slugs were the first slug I tried. I noticed right away POI was the same from 25.4g pellets to the Hybrids 26 grains. I got away from the FX strictly over cost. They do have a deep cavity and next chance I get I am going to try them out on Fox squirrels to see if there is a difference.

Reactions: TattoosByJohnnyV
My personal opinion since I’ve tuned a couple of impacts for hybrids- if you’re a coyote hunter and use 30 cal, then go with the hybrids. At the 966 to 988 FPS speeds I was getting between the two guns, they were very very accurate, and they open up well. Cool thing is both guns after the tune was set, without touching anything on the gun to affect/change the tune, they shot the 44.7g Haydes just as accurate as hybrids on the same tune.

I don’t even think I did any scope adjustments either, but this was at a 45 yard sight in. Yours may differ in that regard.

But at least you could hop back n forth from hybrids to pellets.

So what I’m saying is, hybrids are worth the investment to me, in 30 cal and if you are a hunter.

I’ve only experienced the .22 Hybrids and in my opinion…not worth it.

The exception being if you only shoot the feathered species or shoot them most often and even then it’s a stretch to justify them.

Comparable NSA’s cost under $.08/shot while the Hybrids are almost twice that at $.15/shot.
Furthermore, NSA’s are not giving up anything in regards to consistency and quality. In fact, NSA gives you the option of different diameters while FX Hybrids give you one option only.

The only edge that hybrids offer is better expansion…especially at slower velocities.

If hybrids came down to $.10/shot I’d probably shoot them…if they are the most accurate which is unlikely.

Everything that I happen to shoot with my airgun I shoot in the head anyways; with the exception of birds that die easily with almost anything when hit correctly.

Yep, I’m going to say it again accuracy is king!
Seriously, my bros and I absolutely devastated the pigeon population on my uncle’s farm with .177 springers shooting pellets at 700 fps with almost zero expansion.
There are no substitutes or crutches for accurate shots.

Visit an airgun competition where guys in the know are using slugs. Or talk to someone who knows these guys and see what they are using. Then you’ll have your answer. A Hybrid is a pellet weight slug. They are a step up from a pellet if your gun can shoot them as good and as consistent as a pellet. But if you really want to shoot slugs, your .22 or .25 better have the balls to push a 34-42gr slug at some scary airgun speeds. Then you reap the benefits of truly shooting slugs.

My personal opinion since I’ve tuned a couple of impacts for hybrids- if you’re a coyote hunter and use 30 cal, then go with the hybrids. At the 966 to 988 FPS speeds I was getting between the two guns, they were very very accurate, and they open up well. Cool thing is both guns after the tune was set, without touching anything on the gun to affect/change the tune, they shot the 44.7g Haydes just as accurate as hybrids on the same tune.

I don’t even think I did any scope adjustments either, but this was at a 45 yard sight in. Yours may differ in that regard.

But at least you could hop back n forth from hybrids to pellets.

So what I’m saying is, hybrids are worth the investment to me, in 30 cal and if you are a hunter.
how is the .30 expansion?

If you hunt small to medium games with them then yes, they are worth their price.
I would respectfully disagree...but it's just my opinion! And for your situation and/or equipment maybe it is worth it to you.

IMG_0582.jpeg
But...ask these starlings if the $.07 NSA 24.8 grain slug that hit them at around 900 fps needed to cost $.15 to kill them a little more dead.

If you hunt small to medium games with them then yes, they are worth their price.
Is this from personal experience? Because pellets “get it done” particularly on small and medium game. There is a gentleman here who regularly takes raccoons with his Daisy 880 sending .177 pellets. So, hype aside, is this from personal experience?

Reactions: UCChris
Is this from personal experience? Because pellets “get it done” particularly on small and medium game. There is a gentleman here who regularly takes raccoons with his Daisy 880 sending .177 pellets. So, hype aside, is this from personal experience?
The things really do have crazy expansion. They dump all their energy immediately. I have the dies to make them in my swage press.

That said.. I never make them or use em. Just good old fashioned lead spears for me gets the job good as any.

Now one positive thing about the hybrid style slugs.m is they dump everything they got so fast that they won't continue much further from the target. So there is a safety aspect room same reason people advocate that people carry hollow points with em in their daily. What's behind the target isn't in nearly as much danger

how is the .30 expansion?
I've posted this photo plenty, but it's always worth posting whenever the .30 cal FX Hybrid Slugs expansion question comes up. Here is the expansion after a full passthrough on a groundhog bodyshot at 60 yards from an FX Maverick VP shooting them at 930fps. You can see a video of the shot here. She was dead before she hit the dirt.

20221017_145719.jpg

20221017_145622.jpg

I am preparing a big ballistics gel .30 cal shootout with the following ammo, just as soon as I recover. I just have to do a retune on my FX Maverick to push the Heavy ARG slugs to the appropriate speed.

• ARG Slugs
  • JSB Hades
  • JSB Exacts
  • JSB Knockouts
  • FX Hybrid Slugs
  • NSA