are hybrid slugs worth it?

Not sure if you guys have seen you can get the equivalent of FX hybrid slugs on the RMR website for a significantly cheaper price than FX. Word through the grapevine is that RMR makes the projectiles for FX. They call them SLAP projectiles SLug And Pellet
I just did a search for RMR pellets and came up with wood stove pellets, among others, I'm moderately certain the wood stove pellet aren't them. A link would be appreciated.

• Haha
Reactions: Ezana4CE
I just did a search for RMR pellets and came up with wood stove pellets, among others, I'm moderately certain the wood stove pellet aren't them. A link would be appreciated.
Here you are!

Reactions: HogKiller
Here you are!
I asked them nicely for some samples, well, they are sending me 500 .22 samples, for only $60 and a handful of .25's to test out.

Not sure if you guys have seen you can get the equivalent of FX hybrid slugs on the RMR website for a significantly cheaper price than FX. Word through the grapevine is that RMR makes the projectiles for FX. They call them SLAP projectiles SLug And Pellet
Thanks for the info FX guy. Let us know if they perform the same.

I've posted this photo plenty, but it's always worth posting whenever the .30 cal FX Hybrid Slugs expansion question comes up. Here is the expansion after a full passthrough on a groundhog bodyshot at 60 yards from an FX Maverick VP shooting them at 930fps. You can see a video of the shot here. She was dead before she hit the dirt.

View attachment 329175
View attachment 329176
I am preparing a big ballistics gel .30 cal shootout with the following ammo, just as soon as I recover. I just have to do a retune on my FX Maverick to push the Heavy ARG slugs to the appropriate speed.

• ARG Slugs
  • JSB Hades
  • JSB Exacts
  • JSB Knockouts
  • FX Hybrid Slugs
  • NSA
Any news on your expansion testing? @N2 Shooter

I have many different pellets and a handful of different slugs, I even those H&N piledriver pellets.

I have yet to buy and try the hybrid slugs from FX

are they worth the Price?

in your opinion if you have them....
I have tried them in several calibers and different guns. Never had an luck with them. Friends have had success though

They are expensive but they shoot very well out of my guns. I have been using NSA's slugs but after shooting a few fox squirrels I'm going back to the hybrids to see if they open up better. The FX Hybrids have always been in the top two as far as accuracy but at 15 bucks a hundred they are pricey.
I just saw a video of someone using these in .30 taking down small 40lb pigs. But at that price, sheesh!

I can tell you that the RMR slugs (.2170) are slightly different from the FX, they are a touch longer, ok, more than a touch about .070", sizes are insanely close .00005", weights are within a small fraction of a grain, it's an either or, they were one weight or the other, nothing in between after 25 pcs. They do cost less than FX and I believe they shoot better. Now why I say that. I can't get them to work in my Maverick. BUT...I've got a Sapsan and somewhere along the line the barrel got messed up, 18.13gr pellet are like shooting 00 buck, all over the place, put these 22gr RMR's in, crank up the speed to 955 (maxed out) and.....the pic shows what I got at 30 yards, 10 rounds. YMMV They aren't something that I'm going to be shooting 100/day, not at that price. Note, I have zero idea what the twist rate on my barrel is, that's my next project to figure out.

Slug target.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0641.jpeg

I'm going to have to bite my tongue just a bit. Earlier in this thread I bashed the Hybrids because I felt they didn't outperform other slugs in accuracy at a much higher price point. Fast forward to now and they are now officially my most accurate slug.

With my 700mm CZ barrel on my .22 Taipan Long pushing them to 955 fps...1/2" groups at 50 meters are common with some coming in under 3/8". It took me a while to find the speed they liked...tried a variety of speeds from 885-1,000 fps and nothing was terrible but 955 seems to be the magic speed for my barrel. I took out a pigeon at 118 meters this morning...have to see how they do in the wind.

My next most accurate slug has been the NSA 24.8's at 950 fps...at 50 meters they would give me occasional 1/2" groups with 5/8" being more common...this was with all of the .216-.2175" sizes...

View attachment 334694
I'm going to have to bite my tongue just a bit. Earlier in this thread I bashed the Hybrids because I felt they didn't outperform other slugs in accuracy at a much higher price point. Fast forward to now and they are now officially my most accurate slug.

With my 700mm CZ barrel on my .22 Taipan Long pushing them to 955 fps...1/2" groups at 50 meters are common with some coming in under 3/8". It took me a while to find the speed they liked...tried a variety of speeds from 885-1,000 fps and nothing was terrible but 955 seems to be the magic speed for my barrel. I took out a pigeon at 118 meters this morning...have to see how they do in the wind.

My next most accurate slug has been the NSA 24.8's at 950 fps...at 50 meters they would give me occasional 1/2" groups with 5/8" being more common...this was with all of the .216-.2175" sizes...
Holy smokes, nice shooting! I was curious about wind drift as well: I figured they wouldn't have a spectacular BC and would suffer more drift than traditional slugs. I would love to see some more formal testing

Reactions: peaceful_ruler
Holy smokes, nice shooting! I was curious about wind drift as well: I figured they wouldn't have a spectacular BC and would suffer more drift than traditional slugs. I would love to see some more formal testing
Groups like that only happen when everything comes together...I was previously shooting the NSA 24.8 at 49 fpe and the lighter Hybrid's are at 44 fpe. These two slugs are very comparable...they have the same estimated BC at .080, the NSA is slightly shorter despite being almost 3 grains heavier.

My hypothesis is that the reason the Hybrid's do so well from my barrel is that my 700mm CZ barrel has a noticeable choke. The hollow cavity design of the Hybrid just might allow the projectile to conform more easily with the choke than a solid slug. I don't want to discount the NSA's...I need to experiment with velocities some more. One thing for sure is that .216" and .2165" slug diameters were definitely more accurate from my barrel.

I was actually very impressed with the terminal performance of the 24.8 NSA's on birds, mainly starlings. I've heard people say they don't open up very well but that has not been my experience at all. The HP seems to do it's job well as they really "POP" on impact at 950 fps muzzle velocity. More experimenting to be done...I just wish I had a 100 meter range readily accessible but for now 50 meters will have to do...

Physics tells me that the 22 grain Hybrid will not do as well in the wind as the 24.8 grain NSA; especially further downrange... Mass, inertia, and momentum...

Groups like that only happen when everything comes together...I was previously shooting the NSA 24.8 at 49 fpe and the lighter Hybrid's are at 44 fpe. These two slugs are very comparable...they have the same estimated BC at .080, the NSA is slightly shorter despite being almost 3 grains heavier.

My hypothesis is that the reason the Hybrid's do so well from my barrel is that my 700mm CZ barrel has a noticeable choke. The hollow cavity design of the Hybrid just might allow the projectile to conform more easily with the choke than a solid slug. I don't want to discount the NSA's...I need to experiment with velocities some more. One thing for sure is that .216" and .2165" slug diameters were definitely more accurate from my barrel.

I was actually very impressed with the terminal performance of the 24.8 NSA's on birds, mainly starlings. I've heard people say they don't open up very well but that has not been my experience at all. The HP seems to do it's job well as they really "POP" on impact at 950 fps muzzle velocity. More experimenting to be done...I just wish I had a 100 meter range readily accessible but for now 50 meters will have to do...

Physics tells me that the 22 grain Hybrid will not do as well in the wind as the 24.8 grain NSA; especially further downrange... Mass, inertia, and momentum...
BC plays the most prominent role in wind drift. Weight, mass, inertia and momentum don't have much effect, although they do help with energy. This bent my mind initially but I have come to accept it. See attached ballistic calculator chart for evidence:

wind drift.jpg

In the same boat of wonder. I finally got a gun that can really shoot slugs, an FX Maverick, so I will def be experimenting. The vast majority of my shooting is inside 100 yards in which I question the need for slugs in the first place. However, can’t make that conclusion without trying it. Maybe they are truly that much better in the wind? Only advantage I see inside 100. I cannot imagine the FX are anything special over the plethora of other choices. Time will tell though. I think I’m going to start with NSA.

In the same boat of wonder. I finally got a gun that can really shoot slugs, an FX Maverick, so I will def be experimenting. The vast majority of my shooting is inside 100 yards in which I question the need for slugs in the first place. However, can’t make that conclusion without trying it. Maybe they are truly that much better in the wind? Only advantage I see inside 100. I cannot imagine the FX are anything special over the plethora of other choices. Time will tell though. I think I’m going to start with NSA.
My experience with pellets has taught me that anything past 60 meters can be dicey if there’s any wind…

Reactions: Seeker