• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Are hollow point pellets really needed?

Domes to infinity!

I will say though that wadcutters are devastating out to a limited range say... 20 yards or so.

If you're in a barn shooting pigeons or rats at close ranges give wadcutters a try 👍

547af7f9c4f4ed4676191663.1629314889.jpg

Although the hollowpoints may appear with no expansion after but the effect on varmints are dramatically different .especially at low energy/speed they seem to tumble and just drops tough critters like squirrel much better. After my own tests and observation of Hades is they won’t expand so I decided to go back to domed and the squirrels simply aren’t dropping like when they were shot with hades, the difference is huge! I promptly switched right back to hades. 

Of course accuracy is given but so far hades at 70 yards and closer have same exact accuracy as my domed JSB pellets. It is like upgrading the pellet 1 size bigger. 

Domes to infinity!

I will say though that wadcutters are devastating out to a limited range say... 20 yards or so.

If you're in a barn shooting pigeons or rats at close ranges give wadcutters a try
1f44d.svg

547af7f9c4f4ed4676191663.1629314889.jpg

Words of wisdom,right Here! If I'm pesting or hunting at an average distance of sub-25 yds, the lowly wadcutter is going to be a Top choice followed closely by an Extremely effective dome pellet.

If I need to melt some lead for sinkers or whatever...

Crosman Piranhas are my "Go-To". 😆

Mike (Not Scott...That is my Middle name.)

Another vote for wadcutters for pest control. Squirrels, collared doves, chipmunks, rabbits, etc. Just not larger critters like a raccoon where penetration is needed to punch through the skull.

Wadcutters deliver a noticeably more devastating impact than a dome launched at the same speed, despite the fact the wadcutter is moving slower by the time it reaches the target.

Of course as Matt and Mike have stated, the “sufficiently accurate at a distance” is a caveat they share with hollow points. The advantage, however, is that they don’t need to expand. Their geometry is already favorable to maximize tissue damage. The fact they don’t penetrate well is proof positive of it. A wadcutter that does not pass through has dissipated all its energy into the animal. Where does all the energy go? That’s right, tissue damage.

Guess this would count as a hollow point. Shooting mice in the garage using my hw30 I stick pellets in backwards it literally popes the insides outside. Far more destructive than a wad cutter. But I’m shooting about 12 yards- 

my experience has been hades only expand until they drop to 14-15 fpe then they act like domes. Poly mags loose the tip and turn into a ring of death at high power but after a they drop below 650 FPS ish they just lost the tip and turn side ways. Kinda like a 5.45 x 39 

the only projectile the has realibly expanded but again above 700 FPS Is nsa slugs. Haven’t tried other brands. 

Everything I’ve observed has been sub 30 cal air guns don’t shoot soft enough lead to expand at air gun powers. On little squishy critters. So like others have said use pinpoint accuracy and penetration to sever vitals for a fast death. The hydrostatic shock also isn’t as severe. I treat pellets like field point arrows. But no hassle of an arrow blocking blood flow. poke a hole deep enough it will die.

But do they really expand in small game at airgun velocity? 

Most of my shots pass through.

There is a really great article about pass through and terminal performance that I read just the other day. It's quite the long read, but it did discuss the philosophy of the energy dump and how having a round stay within game can lead to better performance than rounds that simply fly through. The only thing you must consider is this article is specifically talking about firearms, so some things may not transfer directly.

With that said. I have had significantly better terminal performance using my Benjamin Bulldog .357 with 81gr Polymags @ 950fps in ground hogs under 110 yards than with 142gr NSA HP BT slugs @ 800fps. The extra weight of the slug simply zips straight through the groundhogs with broadside shots at those ranges, not forcing the animal to distribute that +215fpe. With the Polymags, the round expands significantly, and has never has a pass through from my slightly tweaked Benjamin Bulldog .357 on the groundhogs. If this was a 150lbs hog or a 180lbs deer, the results would be much different.

Nevertheless, when using larger caliber rounds that blow right through game, you are again forgoing any energy dump, but, you have the opportunity for more blood loss due to the size of the wound channel.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Effective+Game+Killing.html

I guess what that means is it is up to the shooter to match the ammo to the power their gun can produce and the game they intend on taking with it. 

With that said. I have had significantly better terminal performance using my Benjamin Bulldog .357 with 81gr Polymags @ 950fps in ground hogs under 110 yards than with 142gr NSA HP BT slugs @ 800fps. The extra weight of the slug simply zips straight through the groundhogs with broadside shots at those ranges, not forcing the animal to distribute that +215fpe. With the Polymags, the round expands significantly, and has never has a pass through from my slightly tweaked Benjamin Bulldog .357 on the groundhogs.

Comparing these two projectiles at the 110 yard distance, the NSA slug arrives carrying over 2x the energy (172fpe vs 82fpe). It’s interesting that the Polymag is more effective at putting down a groundhog considering the NSA slug would only need to dissipate half its energy to produce as much tissue damage as the Polymag dissipating 100% of its energy.

I thought it was clear that more powerful airguns will have great expansion while using slugs. Heres
20210819_094629.1629391665.jpg
 a picture of two different projectiles. On the left is a 22gr. .22 fx hybrid slugs, or the right is a fx 18.1 gr pellet. Both shot out of a Hw100/STB, regulator set 140 bar. Both hit a conveyor belt backstop, target was at 78 yards. Now a conveyor belt is alot tougher than the skin of a ground squirrel or ground hog. It is plain to see the slug expansion is larger than the expansion of the pellet, probably due to the better BC of the slug allowing for more retained energy. The slug expanded to 7.47 mm, the pellet expanded to 6.86 mm., not much difference, .61 mm.. IMO that's not expansion difference however the retained energy of the slug would transfer the energy where it would create more hydrostatic shock ie killing energy.

But is it needed for small game shot at a reasonable range. I like the wadcutters for out to 20 yards on mice, rats . All the energy is being transfer. Hollow point won't even start to expand, diabolo would do the same as HP. 

I guess I take away from this conversation is to match your pellet/slug to the power of the airgun to the game your hunting.

Good hunting!

I know this is airgun based but a point that should be made is an projectile that does not blow through the target completely therefore converting all the ftlbs into hydrostatic energy. 

When I hunted blacktail deer and wild hogs with my 30-06 Ackley, which I reloaded for, I was always please when I for the bullet, copper TSX, lumped under skin on the opposing side of the target animal. Didn't happen all the time as the shot ranges varied , as well as the size and type of the animal. 

Now transferring that knowledge to airguns, the only times I was able to recover the projectile was when the animal was shot at extended ranges with a "Texas Heart "shot. Otherwise 99.9 % of the shots were pass through. Just not enough resistance to dump all the energy when hunting small game with a hollow point to work as it was intended. 

I get more pass throughs with domes. I also know the hp's (hades, poly mags) sure are loud hitting critters. I like them for short range, to abt 50yards. The poly mags just aren't as accurate as you reach out. I really don't like them past 30. I find the hades good to 50. Unless there is wind. They seem to be affected more by wind.

I shoot the domes more, the impact noise is a factor. I can smack a Starling and his buddy is like " Bob WTF, quit playing possum, UGH my crop....." I don't get as many twofers with the HPs.

Jim

Accuracy IMO is number one consideration. A good well placed shot will end the conversation quickly.

High percentage shot areas for the range you are shooting at is the best path. Head shots out to 45 yards work well for me on ground squirrels but that's pushing it. A bit of a breeze and I'll go for a higher percentage pocket shot.

Hard to miss the crack of good a head shotI. If hear that "watermelon thump" , I know I've made the connection likewise. With a headshot lights out with the "pocket shot" the GS might make it back down the hole but it will bleed out and die. 

Hollow point vs round head or slug, it's all about accuracy not expansion.