• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Are hollow point pellets really needed?

The working on large meplats by Keith and others are what drove me to create cap and ball bullets for hunting with. However it was found that the 78% meplat cutoff isn’t really true. Look at LBT and Beartooth, and others with WFN designs. Mine sport an 83% meplat since every little increase adds so much more to the permanent wound channel, the only thing I can rely upon.

An increase in diameter of 25 percent represents an increase in cross section of 56 percent.

An increase in diameter of 36 percent represents an increase of cross section of 85 percent... 

So .... Doesn't seem impressive till you do the math but it is important that you first have to put that expansion where it can work.

I really don't understand the math. Really! Can you explain it to me? In "dummy" terms? (smile)

Thanks!

Edit: By cross section, do you mean total area of a circle? If so, then I think I understand. Maybe?

Pie are round... it takes a knife to square them! (sheepish chuckle)

Thanks again!

An increase in diameter of 25 percent represents an increase in cross section of 56 percent.

An increase in diameter of 36 percent represents an increase of cross section of 85 percent... 

So .... Doesn't seem impressive till you do the math but it is important that you first have to put that expansion where it can work.

I really don't understand the math. Really! Can you explain it to me? In "dummy" terms? (smile)

Thanks!

Edit: By cross section, do you mean total area of a circle? If so, then I think I understand. Maybe?

Thanks again!

Because the area of a circle is dependant upon the square of the radius a small increase in diameter translates to a large increase in area.

Because any increase in diameter adds to the outer edge of the circle, the area of the circle grows very quickly with each increase.

The area of a circle with radius one is 1*1*3.14 so 3.14 ... The area of a circle with radius two is 2*2*3.14 from this you see the diameter only doubled but the area is four times as large. When you double the diameter of a circle you increase its area by four hundred percent.

Thanks!

Thanks again!

Because the area of a circle is dependant upon the square of the radius a small increase in diameter translates to a large increase in area.

Because any increase in diameter adds to the outer edge of the circle, the area of the circle grows very quickly with each increase.

The area of a circle with radius one is 1*1*3.14 so 3.14 ... The area of a circle with radius two is 2*2*3.14 from this you see the diameter only doubled but the area is four times as large. When you double the diameter of a circle you increase its area by four hundred percent.

Thanks, but I had hoped you would have gotten my joke and realized that I actually do understand that πR² equals the area of a circle.

For some reason, in my original post/reply, "cross section" just simply did not enter my mind as a circle. Go figure... brain fart or old guy syndrome? LOL!

Thanks for the reply in any case. It may help someone else in the future. (smile)

Edit:

Actually, I think I know why I was confused. For some reason when you said "cross section", I was thinking "sectional density". Getting old ain't for sissies. (sigh)

I think I'll just go and see if I can spot a rat from my sniper window... (smile)

Reactions: OldSpook
Hey Guys,

Wow, I never dreamed this original question would lead us to this level of information being discussed. From small game hunting pellet selection, to Beartooth slugs, I guess their slugs, which is used when hunting larger game, deer, hogs, etc.

Impressive! 

@MEC17670 I have been monitoring this thread from the get-go. So, yes, lively topic and thank you.