Are high end air rifles worth the cost?

They are definitely worth it. With any hobby, you get what you pay for. You can mod a lower shelf gun all you want but it's still a lower shelf gun. All the money that was put into it, you could have gotten a better gun in the first place that shoots better out of the box. If you have the money, go for it. If not, save up. You'll be happy in the end.

I have seen many many comments like this, where people say that with all the $$ spent, one could’ve just invested in a quality upper end rifle in the first place. Although the comment makes sense, here’s my take on starting with a budget or mid priced pcp and adding $$ to it:

1. Investing in a budget and mid priced pcp guns have an important role in where if the newbie decides he/she doesn’t like this hobby, not too much was invested, and he/she can either sell the gun off for a minimal lose, or use it as trade to someone wanting to get into pcp guns.

2. Now, as far as dumping dollars into a pcp gun, I’m gonna use the ever popular Marauder platform on this one, since there are numerous aftermarket suppliers of high performance parts for these. Dollar dumping towards better performance has a role, also. They teach the newbie all about the workings and basic tuning of a pcp. I fell into that, and now that I’ve opened up other guns, I can see and fully understand the workings of a pcp. I know better on what parts to invest my dollars on for better performance. How would someone know, unless they learned by hands on? Plus, an added bonus, it gives the feeling of satisfaction, knowing one “customized” their first PCP.

Outside of the Daystate electronically controlled guns, the design of a PCP is basically the same in all guns. Pull the trigger, a hammer strikes a valve, and releases air thru passages we know as the transfer port. Choke off the transfer port, and you have a power adjuster. Simple.

i can safely say, that if a newbie (with no prior knowledge of how a PCP works)with cash unlimited was to invest in say, an impact as his first gun, he/she would not be diving in and taking the gun apart anytime soon(or ever)and would’ve wasted even more time and dollars trying to self tune the gun based on internet rumors or parts selling vendors that promise a 100 FPS gain for a said part(which he/she will most likely have trouble installing). Perfect example is how many posts have you read where one person invests in a twin spring system and a synthetic hammer for his Marauder and is not getting the same velocity as another person is? Then eventually someone pipes in and says “you have to make accommodations to the transfer port to reach those velocities” or “you gotta open this part up, port and polish”. The newbie is like “whaaaatttt??”

Can you imagine the amount of money now lost, if that newbie decided a pcp hobby isn’t for him/her, if they decided to sell off that high dollar investment? I’m not including selling off tanks and compressors either.

im gonna end it with this- if I held a pcp 101 class to a groups of student newbies, my lesson plans would include teardown on the first day, and every student would each have a Marauder or even a Gauntlet to work on, not a high dollar gun.(quiz to follow, lol)

Yep bigragu that's what I did and I am very blessed to have totally torn down my marauder and installed a few parts. I also polished the tp area on the barrel and finnaly powrr tuned it to my specifications. I would have been way over my head if I just got an fx. That being said i am now really desiring a high end gun. Not because I need it or the marauder wasn't enough but just because I love beautiful things. Imo unless your competing a mid or even low end rifle is great. Rabbits and squirrels have no idea what kind of gun you are shooting

They are definitely worth it. With any hobby, you get what you pay for. You can mod a lower shelf gun all you want but it's still a lower shelf gun. All the money that was put into it, you could have gotten a better gun in the first place that shoots better out of the box. If you have the money, go for it. If not, save up. You'll be happy in the end.

I have seen many many comments like this, where people say that with all the $$ spent, one could’ve just invested in a quality upper end rifle in the first place. Although the comment makes sense, here’s my take on starting with a budget or mid priced pcp and adding $$ to it:

1. Investing in a budget and mid priced pcp guns have an important role in where if the newbie decides he/she doesn’t like this hobby, not too much was invested, and he/she can either sell the gun off for a minimal lose, or use it as trade to someone wanting to get into pcp guns.

2. Now, as far as dumping dollars into a pcp gun, I’m gonna use the ever popular Marauder platform on this one, since there are numerous aftermarket suppliers of high performance parts for these. Dollar dumping towards better performance has a role, also. They teach the newbie all about the workings and basic tuning of a pcp. I fell into that, and now that I’ve opened up other guns, I can see and fully understand the workings of a pcp. I know better on what parts to invest my dollars on for better performance. How would someone know, unless they learned by hands on? Plus, an added bonus, it gives the feeling of satisfaction, knowing one “customized” their first PCP.

Outside of the Daystate electronically controlled guns, the design of a PCP is basically the same in all guns. Pull the trigger, a hammer strikes a valve, and releases air thru passages we know as the transfer port. Choke off the transfer port, and you have a power adjuster. Simple.

i can safely say, that if a newbie (with no prior knowledge of how a PCP works)with cash unlimited was to invest in say, an impact as his first gun, he/she would not be diving in and taking the gun apart anytime soon(or ever)and would’ve wasted even more time and dollars trying to self tune the gun based on internet rumors or parts selling vendors that promise a 100 FPS gain for a said part(which he/she will most likely have trouble installing). Perfect example is how many posts have you read where one person invests in a twin spring system and a synthetic hammer for his Marauder and is not getting the same velocity as another person is? Then eventually someone pipes in and says “you have to make accommodations to the transfer port to reach those velocities” or “you gotta open this part up, port and polish”. The newbie is like “whaaaatttt??”

Can you imagine the amount of money now lost, if that newbie decided a pcp hobby isn’t for him/her, if they decided to sell off that high dollar investment? I’m not including selling off tanks and compressors either.

im gonna end it with this- if I held a pcp 101 class to a groups of student newbies, my lesson plans would include teardown on the first day, and every student would each have a Marauder or even a Gauntlet to work on, not a high dollar gun.(quiz to follow, lol)

Excellent perspective on a very important aspect of this hobby. Very well said Bigragu.....👏. This concept gets lost on so many and unfortunately because of this very condescending attitudes are developed. And this helps no one......especially those that are trying to get into the hobby and learn with the resources they have.

Yep bigragu that's what I did and I am very blessed to have totally torn down my marauder and installed a few parts. I also polished the tp area on the barrel and finnaly powrr tuned it to my specifications. I would have been way over my head if I just got an fx. That being said i am now really desiring a high end gun. Not because I need it or the marauder wasn't enough but just because I love beautiful things. Imo unless your competing a mid or even low end rifle is great. Rabbits and squirrels have no idea what kind of gun you are shooting

No but those tree rats recognize what a barrel looks like. Came home yesterday and had one chiddering and chattering at me. Went in the house got the Wildcat walk back out up the tree and hide and he went. 

Worth is always determind by the buyer.

They are worth it to those that can afford to venture in.

Those that cant make post like these after looking at pictures and following FB group think.

Nothing wrong with asking the community.

Doing so probably saved me some headaches a few years back... when I was contemplating buying a Land Rover. Communicated with a number of owners who were nice enough to share their experience with the products. Highlighted the good and the bad and helped me make a somewhat educated decision.

The same would apply to air guns, just like it would apply to watches or knives. 

Those that cant make post like these after looking at pictures and following FB group think.

That was more than a little rude, I have some more colorful remarks but respect Michael and the forum members enough I will not stoop to your level,

Adult Air Rifles can be a large investment, part of what I was getting at is that you can either buy cheap and upgrade but what you will find is that you will not get any real return on the upgrades that you make if or when you decide to try to sell a lot of those cheaper air rifles. Where as buying an higher-quality and more expensive air rifle will allow you to recoup some of that cost when or if you decide to sell that air rifle because you will get a higher asking price.

There are always pros and cons to both sides of the story and once again one of the things that I enjoy about this sports / hobby is the fact that you can start anywhere in it and for the most part there will be someone who is willing to help you learn and become proficient. It's a good thing most members have a much better outlook and attitude than yours 

The hobby is supposed to be something that you're going to enjoy it should not be something that you dread or causes strife in the household. 

That was more than a little rude, I have some more colorful remarks but respect Michael and the forum members enough I will not stoop to your level,

Adult Air Rifles can be a large investment, part of what I was getting at is that you can either buy cheap and upgrade but what you will find is that you will not get any real return on the upgrades that you make if or when you decide to try to sell a lot of those cheaper air rifles. Where as buying an higher-quality and more expensive air rifle will allow you to recoup some of that cost when or if you decide to sell that air rifle because you will get a higher asking price.

There are always pros and cons to both sides of the story and once again one of the things that I enjoy about this sports / hobby is the fact that you can start anywhere in it and for the most part there will be someone who is willing to help you learn and become proficient. It's a good thing most members have a much better outlook and attitude than yours 

The hobby is supposed to be something that you're going to enjoy it should not be something that you dread or causes strife in the household. 

"Worth is always determined by the buyer"

Maybe he could have been a little more diplomatic in the way he posted his view but it seems you cannot argue with the above quoted line. If a high end air gun is "worth it" to one person then any other persons opinion on whether that person should have bought it is irrelevant. If the other person doesn't think it would be worth the purchase then that is valid only for them, not for anyone else.

This is the remark I am referring to

And thus why I said he could have been more diplomatic. Doesn't seem to change the validity of what I wrote. Just as it is only the opinion of the buyer that determines if a high cost air gun is "worth it", the "worth" of a lower cost air gun is also determined only by the buyer.

This is the remark I am referring to

And thus why I said he could have been more diplomatic. Doesn't seem to change the validity of what I wrote. Just as it is only the opinion of the buyer that determines if a high cost air gun is "worth it", the "worth" of a lower cost air gun is also determined only by the buyer.

Very true thank you, for staying on point,

I’m humoring myself, but sometimes when I read comments like the one given I picture someone with their nose up in the air, lol. It brings me back to the days when I used to be the apprenticeship coordinator for the trade school I was involved in. I would be surrounded by management trustees that owned high dollar mechanical HVAC shops. Before the meetings would start, they would each talk about their trips to Egypt, Rome, guided moose hunting trips in Alaska, or talk about their Porsche that they just bought. They’d all look at me like I’m suppose to relate, and tell me I should take my wife to these places and get that car for her for Xmas. 

All in humor, and don’t mean to divert from your message, Willy, or upset anyone.

Remember, are we all not all just “invisible friends” here on the internet?

I’m humoring myself, but sometimes when I read comments like the one given I picture someone with their nose up in the air, lol. It brings me back to the days when I used to be the apprenticeship coordinator for the trade school I was involved in. I would be surrounded by management trustees that owned high dollar mechanical HVAC shops. Before the meetings would start, they would each talk about their trips to Egypt, Rome, guided moose hunting trips in Alaska, or talk about their Porsche that they just bought. They’d all look at me like I’m suppose to relate, and tell me I should take my wife to these places and get that car for her for Xmas. 

All in humor, and don’t mean to divert from your message, Willy, or upset anyone.

Remember, are we all not all just “invisible friends” here on the internet?

that nose in the air better than thou attitude it was one of the things that kind of got me out of archery competitions I won my first dearman's championship with a second hand hunting bow while everyone else was using Target bows 😂 needless to say I kind of felt like I won on two fronts on that day.

I kind of got the same look and feel as what you're describing above.

To get back on topic 💂

For me at least, the definition of higher-end as evolved over the years.

- As a kid, I thought my new Daisy Powerline was higher-end, compared to my old Russian break-barrel

- The Webley felt higher-end, compared to the Daisy

- The TAU felt higher-end compared to the Webley

- The Steyr feels higher-end compared to the TAU... and now the Steyr is the new normal.

I think they were all worth it.

I remember back in the late 80’s when I bought my first “adult” ir rifle. A Beeman spring piston R10. I though I was in the upper class, high falutin’ folks. That is, till beeman came out with his first pcp. Thank goodness I was limited on my income then, and new home ownership took priority, or I would’ve been caught up in the “buy the latest and the greatest”

I look at PCP's like cars. Started with a Ford Pinto (that dates me) but moved up to more complex and faster machines as I could. Guns, started PCP's with a Marauder which I still have. While I never got to drive a Ferrari, I did buy an Impact. If the Impact had been my first PCP, I'd probably have hated the guns. Lousy gun for first timer. Too complex, too much to learn, too technical. Marauder, like my Pinto is easy to work on, reliable, economical and pretty accurate. I had to grow into the Impact.

Now, is the Impact worth it? Well, to me, once I'd grown a bit with my skill set, yes, for me, I think it is very much worth it. I've saved enough to buy a second Impact, and will probably do so after springtime announcements at IWA.

My goal was to shoot bullseyes at 100 yards, and I've already accomplished that. Now, just getting more consistent would be nice.

Yeah, I was the one who posted without reading the whole post from the OP. Now that I've read it, i totally understand starting off with a budget PCP if someone is just getting into it to see if the hobby is for them. I did the same thing. If you're one that likes to tinker and try to bring out the best performance in a budget PCP, that's totally fine. On the flipside of the coin, if you're just starting out but you were accustomed to quality and accuracy from the get go, you might be disappointed in a budget PCP out of the box.

Another example; You may have bagged a lot of babes in your past but the ones that were trophies are the ones that mattered. The ugly ones don't count. No offense guys. I'm just being a little bit humorous lol.

Yeah, I was the one who posted without reading the whole post from the OP. Now that I've read it, i totally understand starting off with a budget PCP if someone is just getting into it to see if the hobby is for them. I did the same thing. If you're one that likes to tinker and try to bring out the best performance in a budget PCP, that's totally fine. On the flipside of the coin, if you're just starting out but you were accustomed to quality and accuracy from the get go, you might be disappointed in a budget PCP out of the box.

Another example; You may have bagged a lot of babes in your past but the ones that were trophies are the ones that mattered. The ugly ones don't count. No offense guys. I'm just being a little bit humorous lol.

i married a babe, so no, I’m not offended