• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Are Diana 430L and 34 Spring and Piston Seals the Same?

I am new to tuning airguns, but trying to learn.

I have a 430L that has detonated about 5 times. I am going to open it up and check the seal for damage.

I called Umerex, (the RWS/Diana importer), and tried to get a seal. They didn't sell them, and told me that the 430L seal is NOT compatible with any other air rifle. So, I ordered a seal from Vortek, and it is labeled as compatible with the 34. I compared it to a seal that I already had for my 34, and they sure look to be the same size! 

I have also considered getting a new main spring for the 430L, and cutting a couple of coils off. (If I don't sell the 430L, I might keep it as a plinker. I would then like to reduce it to 9-10 foot pounds.) Is it the same spring as the 34? How many coils would I remove IF I did this? I am thinking of starting with two, and working my way until I get what I want, but suggestion could save me a lot of time. 😄

I would only shoot heavy pellets during first 300-500 shot break in to avoid detonation. Probably 10 grains and heavier. Dieseling can be totally normal for brand new guns that have a bit too much lube in them coming from the factory. Expect improved accuracy and smoothness after 300-500 shot break in Maybe even 1000 shots which shouldn't even count as an accurate assessment on how the gun performs for now during break in.

It's only rated at 12fpe and I would leave it at that especially since they are supposed to have a lifetime warranty if they are left untouched then you can hand it down to your kids and grandkids to enjoy. If you have that receipt I would keep it in a safe place and don't lose it. Pass that receipt to the kids and grandkids later.

https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/hectors-airgun-blog/the-diana-430l

Good Luck.