Are airgun really backyard friendly?

As a kid I grew up shooting in the backyard as a learning tool for firing guns. Learn how they work and how to aim. Always thought if you have a good backstop and the pellet or bb doesn't leave your yard and damage neighbor windows or property, it is fine cause bb gun and pellet guns are not consider firearm. Also how all airgun manufacturers always advertise their guns as backyard friendly. The case is, airgun are not legally backyard friendly. I learned the hard way. I was plinking in my own backyard. It's about 20 yards max. Have wooden fence surrounded all sides. I was using a co2 .177 pellet pistol. The ones you get at Walmart for $50-60. I ran out of co2 and was putting a new one in. All of a sudden my gate swing open and there was a cop standing there. He just like fking enter my property without permission. Shouldn't he go knock at the front door and not just burst into someone's backyard? If he didn't have uniform on I would thought someone be robbing me and shot him. Anyhow he came up to me and said neighbors called them cause someone was shooting a gun. I said yeah, its a pellet gun. Even show him it used co2. He took the gun and degass it. I was like, you fking kidding me? I just put that new co2 on there. He said I can't be shooting in my backyard cause it's illegal to shoot any gun, pb or airgun in a residential area. He asked for my name and took my gun. He said if I want it back I have to go to the station and file a claim form. And he went back to his car and drove off. Like damn. If I know which neighbor called, I would be throwing rocks at their cars and windows. Sure glad it was just a cheap co2 pistol. And not my impact. But still piss off. Like cant even shoot a .177 pellet gun in your own property. Just a warning out there. If you got dumbass neighbors, do not shoot your guns. Cops will confiscate it. Guns manufacturers needs to stop claiming their gun as backyard friendly. Cause it's not. Maybe in Texas. Who knows.

Mod Edit: regardless of whether or not you were referring to the police offer in a racial context, some people may be offended if you use the color of their skin to describe them. I removed the "color" of the police officer.

You need to know your local ordinances When someone says "back yard friendly", they usually mean that it has a low report. Manufacturers can not possibly know the laws for every state, county, city and township. It is YOUR responsibility to know the rules. Also, if you are doing something that is against local ordanances your neighbors have every right to complain - even if it is not being neighborly.

Move to Arizona. It is a state law that no city or municipality may ban a citizen from making a backyard range. If your city creates an ordinance, it is invalidated before the ink dries.

Excerpt from our laws:

6. The definition of a shooting range is expanded to include, “Any area that is used for shooting on a private lot or parcel of land that is not open to the public on a commercial or membership basis.” This is designed to stop various authorities that have been harassing the public for using air guns and other implements in their backyards, without harming anyone, as a matter of pure anti-rights bias (§17-601). Use of BB guns and similar training tools and toys in Arizona has always been understood to be protected under §13-3107, simply with adult supervision. This also protects ranges people can simply set up on sufficient tracts of private land.

The manufacturers claims are about the quietness of the air gun and have nothing to do with the law and city ordinances where you live. Every city and town will have a different ordinance. You would need to check the local laws and city ordinances where you live to know if it is legal or not to shot air guns in your backyard. That would be your responsibility. Being ignorant of the law doesn’t make you exempt from the law. If you reacted in any way like the way you wrote this then I would also recommend keeping a cool head and being respectful and polite with any police officer. Especially if you’re the focus of their attention at that given moment. If you’re cool with them most of them will be cool with you and you might get off with just a warning for a minor infraction. No guarantee on that but it’s more likely than copping an attitude with them right away. Neighbors can be touchy. And when they have the law on their side being and antagonist isn’t going to get you anywhere. 

When I recently renewed my license to carry I asked the officer about shooting air guns in my back yard. He said that there was no specific ordinance, but often they would get calls that were either a noise complaint or just a concerned neighbor because of someone shooting a "gun". Either way it sounded like a no win situation for the air gunner. I live in a fairly congested suburban area. I have a high fence around my backyard, but my neighbors on three sides can see down into my yard from their second floors. This may not be popular, but I could understand any one of them not wanting me to shoot in my backyard. The fence is that plastic type material and a pellet could easily pass through. Even with a good big back stop we all know that mistakes can happen. Two of the neighbors have young children. If the situation was reversed how much do I trust someone else with my families well being? Or assuming that I trust them what about their friend who comes over for a plinking session. My neighbor across the street has no one on either side and a marsh behind their house. They could shoot an air rifle behind their house and no one would ever know. Personally, I am not going to risk getting into it with either my neighbors or the police. .

People need to know the laws & the local ordinances in their city . Where I live no BB guns or pellet gun shooting in the city limits period .I'm all for it because there are more dumbass shooters out there than dumbass neighbors you see that in some of videos posted on this forum ( not related to most farm pesting ) On the other hand My neighbors know when I shoot because I tell them & they are ok with it, sometimes they indulge too . But I'm shooting into a shop with a 6x6 ft. opening in the door way if & when the cops come I'll play dumb & be respectful . Darell

I forgot to mention but this happened in Sacramento CA. Sure I was ignorant and didn't know the law about airgun is city limits. I assume it's only a airgun, and not a real gun it wasn't a problem. The neighbors could of come over and ask nicely to stop shooting if they didn't like it. Why call the cops? Is your own neighbor with a pellet gun in his own backyard really a threat you need to police involved? If the neighbor came over and told me to stop. I would stop and take my airgun back inside. As for the cop, I told him I didn't know. I thought it was ok to shoot bb/pellet gun. He could of just told me I can't and give a warning. No, he had to trasspass into my yard, degass my gun, and take it with him. If he just told me I can't be shooting airgun in my backyard, I would tell him sorry I didn't know and take my gun back inside. Anyhow just sharing so others will know and check with their city law. Cause I'm sure theres other airgunner who assume it's just a airgun, it's ok.

He asked for my name and took my gun. He said if I want it back I have to go to the station and file a claim form. And he went back to his car and drove off.

That sounds like he violated your 4th amendment civil rights with an illegal seizures of your property and maybe an illegal search. Why didn't he write a citation if it is illegal ?

Your local code linked below.

http://www.qcode.us/codes/sacramento/?view=desktop&topic=9-9_32-i-9_32_090

If he did not see or hear you shooting I would be contacting an attorney!! 

It might be a good idea to step back, chill a little, and review your reactions to this incident. You seem to blame everyone except yourself for your own actions: A cop following up on a complaint; airgun manufacturers; dumb ass neighbors....

It is fortunate that you do not know which "dumbass" neighbor reported you. Throwing rocks at their windows or cars would have landed you in jail.

It is even more fortunate that the cop was in uniform. He was not trespassing if he had knowledge that you were in the yard breaking the law. If you had shot him or even an actual trespasser under these circumstances, you would have been guilty of a felony. Except in the case of a home invasion, to is not legal to shoot anyone unless you fear imminent death or serious bodily harm if you do not act to protect yourself.

Please, just accept responsibility for your actions. Chalk it up as a learning experience that can help guide you in the future. Perhaps, when you retrieve your air pistol, you can mend a few fences by treating the police officers there with respect. If they discover, first hand, that members of the airgunning community are good folks, it will help us all enjoy our sport.

Reactions: TheGoose
You need to know your local ordinances When someone says "back yard friendly", they usually mean that it has a low report. Manufacturers can not possibly know the laws for every state, county, city and township. It is YOUR responsibility to know the rules. Also, if you are doing something that is against local ordanances your neighbors have every right to complain - even if it is not being neighborly.

Rodeo is absolutely right however Id still go to the station and claim my pistol and look into the laws where I live as cops aren't always right. 

First. Know your local laws. Second. Be wary of your neighbors. I have one that knows I shoot in my back yard and he can care less. The others im not so sure about so I try to keep a low key and try and be sure that others are not around. Im sure that some still know. I just try not to bother anyone. Now Im not going to give you crap about saying a black cop like others. If he was Asian im sure you would of said similar. Just a description as I see it and nothing more. I might of done the same with no harm intended and as far as I see it none was. Some are just a bit sensitive. I mean no offense to those people (Is the phrase those people offensive?). That kind of garbage thinking is what causes issues in other ways. Anyway back to the matter at hand. Dude. Lock your gate. Oh and what if you had a dog. $!hit could of got real ugly. 

First. Know your local laws. Second. Be wary of your neighbors. I have one that knows I shoot in my back yard and he can care less. The others im not so sure about so I try to keep a low key and try and be sure that others are not around. Im sure that some still know. I just try not to bother anyone. Now Im not going to give you crap about saying a black cop like others. If he was Asian im sure you would of said similar. Just a description as I see it and nothing more. I might of done the same with no harm intended and as far as I see it none was. Some are just a bit sensitive. I mean no offense to those people (Is the phrase those people offensive?). That kind of garbage thinking is what causes issues in other ways. Anyway back to the matter at hand. Dude. Lock your gate. Oh and what if you had a dog. $!hit could of got real ugly.

I guess using the word black, people think it's a racist comment. I'm not against black people or anything. Was just describing him as a black cop cause he was a black cop. The gate have a latch, can put a lock on so can't lift the latch up, then the gate won't open..but it was day time so it was unlock. If there was a dog, especially like a pitbull. Things would be ugly. I've seen cops enter people's yards and their dog come out and cops freak out and starts shooting.

I hear ya man. Funny thing is even using the words pit bull can get people fired up. It kinda gets on my nerves. And no I do not own a pit bull just to clear that up before I start something else. Nor do I have any issues with the breed. Having the gate unlocked at specific times I get that. You might want to look into if he even had cause to just walk into you yard like that and even have the right to take the airgun from you. It was clear that he felt safe enough to do so because if not... well that could of went bad for you and then most likely the cop in the court system. Sadly it could of hit air gunners below the belt to some degree as a whole.

Here’s a scenario, related, but no cops involved. I got a buddy into Airguns by selling him a brand new beeman RS with dual barrels. Anyway, his area where he lives have a lot of grape vines, palm trees, has a park close by, and large corrugated rain water pipes. That combo brings on lots of possums, rats, squirrels, and raccoons, in the heart of the suburbs.

well, it started of with rat shooting, possums , then eventually squirrels, and lots of them. Well, not everyone landed in his backyard. Being as his back yard backed into a culdisac, he had about three or four house behind him. On some occasions, he would hop the fence and grab the kills, but this one house he couldn’t. Well, a lady called on him, thru social media. There’s this neighborhood ap she got on, and her words were- “ I KNOW WHO YOU ARE! IVE SEEN YOU SHOOT DEFENSLESS SQUIRRELS AND THROW (that’s a lie)THEM IN PEOPLES BACK YARDS. I AM FEARFUL FOR LETTING MY TODDLERS OUT IN THE BACKYARD TO PLAY, BECAUSE I DONT WANT THEM TO GET SHOCKED OVER A DEAD ANIMAL. IF YOU DONT STOP I WILL LET OUT YOUR ADDRESS HERE IN PUBLIC SO ALL WILL KNOW.

Well, there were responses back, all telling her to turn him in, call the cops. And of course, responses of how cruel he was shooting at rats and possums. My buddy freaked out, and stashed his rifle under the blown insulation in his attic, never to be brought out again(it’s been six months since he’s pulled it out). I talk to him all the time. In the six months of non gun use, the fence runners are a freeway now with squirrels, his dogs are barking thrunthe night at either the possums, rats or raccoons walking the fences, and leaving piles of feces in his patio. Funny thing is, that lady never called the cops. She’d been yelling at him to knock it off for a couple of months prior to getting on that neighborhood ap, so there’s something going on with why she won’t call the police. Go figure.

Yeah, bro, listen to all the suggestions the guys here are giving you. It wouldn’t hurt to go door to door, introduce yourself in a professional manner, and discuss the incident with each neighbor. Whoever it was will never fess up, of course, but maybe they’ll realize you were just doing some harmless target shooting.

Blimey, theres fortunately no such law here in Blighty. So long as no pellet strays beyond your boundary, and your guns don't exceed legal power limits you can go nuts.

In practice though my neighbours are elderly. They're a lovely couple and I don't want to stress them out, so I've made it very clear that they're air guns, and there's nothing to worry about. In addition I keep it down to sensible hours, usually in the morning, so the noise doesn't cause a nuisance. Just to make sure I keep them onside I also cut their grass for them. "That chap next door, not only is he so handsome but he's a jolly nice fellow too", is what I imagine they say to their friends.

As hard as UK shooters do sometimes have it, in this regard we're quite lucky. Our home is our castle.

I guess using the word black, people think it's a racist comment. I'm not against black people or anything. Was just describing him as a black cop cause he was a black cop. The gate have a latch, can put a lock on so can't lift the latch up, then the gate won't open..but it was day time so it was unlock. If there was a dog, especially like a pitbull. Things would be ugly. I've seen cops enter people's yards and their dog come out and cops freak out and starts shooting.

What do you expect you live in California.Your lucky your not in prison