Are A/0 and S/F scopes necessary?

I looked at the Leupold rimfires and was also turned off by the simple duplex reticle. I NEED a mildot style reticle on my springers. They have a lot of drop at 100yds.
I know Leupold has a rimfire MOA BDC style reticle occasionally but they are sometimes hard to find. They never seem to be around when I convince myself to spend $300 on a scope for an airgun.

I like light compact rifles and non AO scopes help that happen. The Leupolds are lighter than most springer rated scopes with a good guarantee. So that makes them appealing.

For target and bench bound airguns AO is not a problem for me. That's basically the rest of them. When shooting repeatedly at fixed distances I can set the AO and leave it. The extra weight and time to adjust it once doesn't matter.

I like the non AO on my Hw50 a lot because I'll carry that gun into the woods and and I can clearly see any squirrel within the range of the gun. Well other than inside ten, eleven yards but how often do you get that close to a wild squirrel? It helps keep the gun light and well balanced. The whole package only weighs 7.2 lbs. Even when plinking at local airgun range I can shoot anything from ten to a hundred yards without making a single adjustment. It works out well for what I use that gun for.

Also I like that mildot values never change on fixed magnification scopes. It's another topic but it's another nice benefit of simple fixed scopes.

Different strokes for different folks. No right or wrong here.

I have 2 of the Leopold 2-7 on .22 rimfires and their not all a simple duplex. You can get a basic one also. 75 yard parallax if I remember correct and really light.

1671240203489.png

1671240117157.png

I have 2 of the Leopold 2-7 on .22 rimfires and their not all a simple duplex. You can get a basic one also. 75 yard parallax if I remember correct and really light.

View attachment 314309

View attachment 314308
Thanks, I'm aware that they aren't all duplex. I mentioned that in the post when I said the MOA BDC reticle is never available when I have the money for one. They are very nice scopes and I would love to have one someday. I believe the rimfire ones are set for 60 yards parallax. I'm sure that would be fine for all but the closest airgun ranges at high power. Fortunately high power isn't really necessary for ten yards.

Thanks, I'm aware that they aren't all duplex. I mentioned that in the post when I said the MOA BDC reticle is never available when I have the money for one. They are very nice scopes and I would love to have one someday. I believe the rimfire ones are set for 60 yards parallax. I'm sure that would be fine for all but the closest airgun ranges at high power. Fortunately high power isn't really necessary for ten yards.

60 yard parallax is even better. Thanks for the correction. I may have to try it on my Prod. I will say all my airgun scopes have adjustable parallax. I'm pretty sure i get less eye fatigue when target shooting with the adjustable objective scopes. But when hunting it would most likely work just fine.

When I hunt with AO scopes I usually set it around 25-30 yards for the woods. And higher in the more open areas.

Reactions: Mycapt65
I don't know what half of you guys are talking about, but I'm setting up a couple of my guns with red dots / prismatic low magnification / and/or red dots with flip-down magnifiers.

My objective is to have multiple guns "at the ready" for various purposes. I am even considering using a holo sight with 4x magnifier on my Guantlet 30. That would be a real change up from the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x on there right now! Or else it probably goes on the Guantlet 2 25 which is sitting in the rack without a scope right now, not for lack of scopes, but because I think it has off hand shooting potential. "Long and heavy" my arse!

I'm also considering getting into Field & Target so I'm pretty sure this Hawke Vantage 3-9x sitting on the shelf should be good for that. Just need to find a weaker gun to shoot!

I don't know what half of you guys are talking about, but I'm setting up a couple of my guns with red dots / prismatic low magnification / and/or red dots with flip-down magnifiers.

My objective is to have multiple guns "at the ready" for various purposes. I am even considering using a holo sight with 4x magnifier on my Guantlet 30. That would be a real change up from the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x on there right now! Or else it probably goes on the Guantlet 2 25 which is sitting in the rack without a scope right now, not for lack of scopes, but because I think it has off hand shooting potential. "Long and heavy" my arse!

I'm also considering getting into Field & Target so I'm pretty sure this Hawke Vantage 3-9x sitting on the shelf should be good for that. Just need to find a weaker gun to shoot!
I've shot a few matches with a 3-9x on my gun and it does add a bit of a challenge but it is absolutely doable. You just have to get used to ranging my eye/feel vs using your reticle and parallax. A sub 12ftlb .177 8.44gr is flat enough to the point where even if your ranging is off a little bit you can error on the side of a hit.

Reactions: silvershooter589
I've shot a few matches with a 3-9x on my gun and it does add a bit of a challenge but it is absolutely doable. You just have to get used to ranging my eye/feel vs using your reticle and parallax. A sub 12ftlb .177 8.44gr is flat enough to the point where even if your ranging is off a little bit you can error on the side of a hit.

What is your preferred optic / sights for FT?