Are 5 shot groups worthless statistically?

Why 5 shot groups? Why not? You could compete with only one shot at a small target, or 20 shot groups. As long as everyone has the same challenge, one can argue that it's fair. Obviously, one or twenty shots presents issues of both random luck, and the effects of conditions. I think, over time, group competition based on 5 shots has proven to be a fair and reasonable basis of competition. We could make baseball competition based on two or twenty innings, but a nine inning game has proven to be a reasonable competition. Do we need to search for statistical support? I think not. It's a game, enjoy.
:)

15 shot groups are harder, i shot those all day yesterday, and there was no wind to blame.

This is my best ( on the day ) 15 shot group at 75 M with the .177 Maverick, that i still need to tweak a little on CUZ still a bit too high dev on a shot string.
But its getting better, here the REG is set to 80 BAR which are fine in the 700 mm barrel with a heavier hammer, shooting 13 gr Zans at just over 1000 FPS.

If it was not for that trigger error i would be extremely happy, even if there are 6 erratic, but those are to blame on the erratic shot speed as the chrono dangling on the end of my barrel told me.
So the 3 shots in the 12 O clock position that is 3 fast shots, the other 3 in 9 O clock position those are actually 3 slow shots, which for some reason went there and not as i would have put money on at the 6 O clock position

PS that is a 2" Shoot NC target.

75M15group.jpg

PPS: Another target i shot, well the first 4 shots was placed symmetrical just beside the red bulls eye on the target, looking just as good as the 4 on any dice.
So the 5 shot i was mentally geared to make that a nice symmetrical 5, sadly it whent 10 mm high and right in between the top 2 holes already there, so i just proceeded to turn that 2" target into Swiss cheese too.

Last edited:
Reactions: drpietrzak