Are 5 shot groups worthless statistically?

I routinely shoot sub penny sized groups at 40yds. Even on windy days. My secret?
Well first you find the right penny for the job, the rest is easy.
DSC02191.JPG

I routinely shoot sub penny sized groups at 40yds. Even on windy days. My secret?
Well first you find the right penny for the job, the rest is easy.
View attachment 366146
Wow! You must got them eagle eyes .
Id need to go scope for that .. id never see it unless real close up at a fuzzy blurry image.. 😇

Reactions: muddydogz
For me there is a difference in 10 in one or 1 per 10. It has it most impact when I am on a single shot per bull with multiple bulls. One shot per bull, with 10 or 25 bulls is different from the 10 on a single bull I often do with longer ranges. There is a move and rest adjustment error that is added when I go from one bull to the next. While shooting 10 on a single bull I have the rifle set, and don't want to disturb things any more than I have to while adjusting for wind, or other elements for each shot. These adjustments tend to be smaller movements and not involve a lot of gross motor activity. Moving from one bull to the next for the next shot means I have to reposition the rifle/rest and adjust for wind or other elements. As I shoot a lot of springer stuff that means variations in some part of the hold each time. More changes for error.
this would mean you shoot only PCP ?

5 or 10 shot groups pellets can go through the same hole and if your hole is a quarter size you don't really know if they are dead center or off to the side of the hole. 1 shot on a target you will always know where it's actually hitting.

Here's an example of 10 shot groups at 27 yards. Fun but after so many shots your just trying to shoot through the hole. And not sure they are on the 10 ring or the 9 ring or 8.

View attachment 365676
View attachment 365700
This is NOT the same hole , The SAME hole is exactly that / the size of the projectile or not more than 1.5 times the size . One almostly perfectly round hole .

This is NOT the same hole , The SAME hole is exactly that / the size of the projectile or not more than 1.5 times the size . One almostly perfectly round hole .
Then i guess you could call it one hole.
Cause it made one big hole.

Still thats better then shotgunning them all over the place by far 🤤 ( at least in my book)

Reactions: Headshots
Then i guess you could call it one hole.
Cause it made one big hole.

Still thats better then shotgunning them all over the place by far 🤤 ( at least in my book)
yes if you call it that, one group hole , One Group Hole could be the size of a dime or 3 inches diameter, just call it what it is .

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Nope. But there are aspects that still apply. Minimal movements of equipment. See this video for example.

OK i see what your saying , i do the same . I use a protector rest and rear bag with the slippery cloth he offers , and that made a nice difference in repeatable shots .

Reactions: drpietrzak

Not sure if are reading it correctly. The comments were about scoring shots. It's impossible to know where your hitting with one ragged hole.

So they should be called a 10 hole group that make a half inch hole target. Or THGTMAIHT for short ?

Or 4 ten shot groups smaller than a dime w all shots touching ?

Your the one saying same hole groups. Not me .

Not sure if are reading it correctly. The comments were about scoring shots. It's impossible to know where your hitting with one ragged hole.

So they should be called a 10 hole group that make a half inch hole target. Or THGTMAIHT for short ?

Or 4 ten shot groups smaller than a dime w all shots touching ?

Your the one saying same hole groups. Not me .
Your hitting the same hole near perfect each and every time. So if the first is a 10 then + 5 is 50. 😉. Most of my missed shots are because i got to confirm im actually hitting the target 😜 ... Ya, ya, thats the ticket...ya!

The bottom bull here has 10 shots. Many through 1 longish hole right on the 9-10 line. They are hard to score, for me anyway.

View attachment 366461

I've shot many 5 shot groups that look like 3. You start questioning yourself and really blow it. 😆

I hoped most would understand when saying one ragged hole. And the pictures should make it clear. A ragged hole couldn't be a same hole group anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: drpietrzak