Archery target // pellet back drop ??

I was thinking of using a 1/2" plate welders table I made years earlier. by laying it down with the base towards me the angle is slightly down so the pellets would ricochet down after impact. One of the advantage is the base frame allows me to hang targets off of it. I can even having swingers' if I want to add those. It would be ease to tac weld a couple hinges for swinging targets. when not in use it stands up and works for many other uses. the table top is about 24" by 32" with 1 1/2" angle iron frame. In the shop I use a box with my old blue jeans in it... to shot at.. if I need to test something and its not important for accuracy.

As a backstop it could work as you describe, to catch the occasional errant pellet, but I would shoot into a pellet trap that has the capability of catching or deflecting pellets shot into the same spot repeatedly. Unless you change the carpet regularly, the pellets will erode the carpet in the target area leaving just steel and a ricochet risk. An internet search of "air gun pellet traps" will provide many options. I use a plastic bin with rubber mulch inside.
I have over 5000 shots and no sign of any ricochets yet I only use a .22 so have no other data on anything else

I was thinking of using a 1/2" plate welders table I made years earlier. by laying it down with the base towards me the angle is slightly down so the pellets would ricochet down after impact. One of the advantage is the base frame allows me to hang targets off of it. I can even having swingers' if I want to add those. It would be ease to tac weld a couple hinges for swinging targets. when not in use it stands up and works for many other uses. the table top is about 24" by 32" with 1 1/2" angle iron frame. In the shop I use a box with my old blue jeans in it... to shot at.. if I need to test something and its not important for accuracy.
I use somthing close i only use lead pellets they just splater I go thru Carpet and Cardboard first mine work fine

Duct Seal compound, about $5 a pound and you can put a layer of that stuff in most any container. I made a pellet trap, out of 3/4" plywood scrap and lined it with about 2" of this stuff. Have been shooting at it for almost a decade. Sometimes I'll heat it up a bit with a heat gun and move the stuff towards the center, the spot where I shoot the most. you don't need to build a pellet trap to use it, any container can be lined with the puddy. I've shot at it with a pretty powerful .25 I use to have and even though it would make some deep indentations I could patch it back up and keep firing.

Duct Seal compound, about $5 a pound and you can put a layer of that stuff in most any container. I made a pellet trap, out of 3/4" plywood scrap and lined it with about 2" of this stuff. Have been shooting at it for almost a decade. Sometimes I'll heat it up a bit with a heat gun and move the stuff towards the center, the spot where I shoot the most. you don't need to build a pellet trap to use it, any container can be lined with the puddy. I've shot at it with a pretty powerful .25 I use to have and even though it would make some deep indentations I could patch it back up and keep firing.
Totally agree, Duct Seal works great and is pretty quiet.