• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Arboreal Fox?!?!?

So I pointed one of my security cameras at the spot where the squirrels seems to like to hang out at in one of my oak trees. Haven’t gotten a squirrel on the camera yet but saw this grey fox on the spot where the squirrels usually hang out at, can’t tell from the pictures but that spot is about 9-10 feet high!!!! Can’t believe my eyes! I didn’t know grey foxes can jump that high and feel rather at home in trees. FYI, I have no intention of harming this cool little guy, just wanted to share my amazement if it’s climbing/jumping ability. 
43B32B07-3767-45C7-AFAE-FEDC526AAE50.1621827931.jpeg
F47BD8C0-F8E7-4CF7-9ED8-CC6B97A50AE6.1621827932.jpeg

Edit: Moderator, I accidentally posted the thread in the wrong forum. Can you please move it to either hunting or general? Thanks

@qball that is a cool and not "everyday" seen sight, its a first for me. And just looked, apparently greys are one of the few foxes that do climb trees.

"What really sets gray foxes apart is their ability to climb. Unlike other canines gray foxes have semi-retractable claws that stay sharp and enable gray foxes to grasp tree trunks almost like a cat. Gray foxes can also rotate their forearms and climb by grasping a tree with their forearms and pushing up with their hind feet. They will climb as high as 50 or 60 feet and will jump from branch to branch while up in a tree" https://emammal.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/gray-fox-behavior/

@qball that is a cool and not "everyday" seen sight, its a first for me. And just looked, apparently greys are one of the few foxes that do climb trees.

"What really sets gray foxes apart is their ability to climb. Unlike other canines gray foxes have semi-retractable claws that stay sharp and enable gray foxes to grasp tree trunks almost like a cat. Gray foxes can also rotate their forearms and climb by grasping a tree with their forearms and pushing up with their hind feet. They will climb as high as 50 or 60 feet and will jump from branch to branch while up in a tree" https://emammal.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/gray-fox-behavior/

50 or 60 feet high is 5 or 6 stories. That's pretty darned impressive. Once upon a time I saw a 5 foot long chicken snake winding its way through a tree about 15 feet above me. I was awed then. Were I to see a fox (of all things) doing the same thing ... I know I'd be awed.

In the early 80's I used to trap Gray's when I was stationed in San Angelo. There aren't many trees on that part of Edwards Plateau so I had no idea the little fellows could climb that well. One thing an old man, long passed now, told me at the time was Reds, Grays, and Yotes are generally mutually exclusive with their territories. Each will actively hunt and kill the pups of the others. Where I was trapping the Grays, I never saw a Red or a Yote. It seems to me Coyotes would win that fight every time but I guess that's not the case.

We used to have a lot of Reds in this part of Virginia but now they are confined to areas where the Coyotes tend to avoid. The Coyotes moved into the area about 15 or 20 years ago, decimated the ground hog population.

We used to have a lot of Reds in this part of Virginia but now they are confined to areas where the Coyotes tend to avoid. They Coyotes moved into the area about 15 or 20 years ago, decimated the ground hog population.

How odd. Your profile says you live in Greece.

Oh, my! You clever boy! I have compromised myself, what shall I do? Honest though my lovely Texan, my heart belongs to another. You do have my number if you feel the need to call, just don't get your hopes up, I belong to another. 😙

Cornpone says he sent me his number? I checked it out.

https://www.whitepages.com/reverse-phone ... says ... Please enter a valid phone number.

Hmm.. fake number. Can't say I'm surprised.

Yeah,,, That's funny it works for me. What number did I give you? Before you post it, think.

If anyone else can find it, it makes you a liar.

So I went and double checked the number I gave you after your insulting PM. It's good. I you said I was afraid of you in your PM. You have my number. I have the phone right here beside me. It has not rung. 

Anyone else want it? PM me. No really, you want my number ask for it. Apparently "lover boy" has now put me on ignore. I guess that is so that he doesn't have to respond to this post right here ... which proves him to be a liar.

Now lets go back to the definition of slander, shall we? If you can prove it, it ain't slander, there Tex. 

... Oh wait ... Just got a text from him. I guess he has the number after all? How could that be? ...

Does this look right to you bud?

text2.1621909934.png

text2.1621909995.png

Quote:

Yeah,,, That's funny it works for me. What number did I give you? Before you post it, think.
If anyone else can find it, it makes you a liar.
So I went and double checked the number I gave you after your insulting PM. It's good. I you said I was afraid of you in your PM. You have my number. I have the phone right here beside me. It has not rung. 
Anyone else want it? PM me. No really, you want my number ask for it. Apparently "lover boy" has now put me on ignore. I guess that is so that he doesn't have to respond to this post right here … which proves him to be a liar.
Now lets go back to the definition of slander, shall we? If you can prove it, it ain't slander, there Tex. 
Oh wait … Just got a text from him. I guess he has the number after all? How could that be? …

-

Looks like somebody is a little triggered. (And all because he was flirting w/ me on the 'Gamo Swarm Magnum. Wow!' thread and I refused his advances. )

Probably comes from having a little trigger on a littler gun. Gnomesayin?

Got a text did ya? Why don't you answer it then?

Unless the # is fake. Or, you're afraid. Which is it?

Heh... yeah. Look before you leap. There might be a snek... Is this yours?

text1.1621909645.png

text2.1621909676.png

It looks a lot like It might be yours. I'm thinking anonymous texting service because you will observe that I replied to you TWICE. The replies were voice texts. If you got the first, you would likely have realize just what sort of mistake you were making. Apparently you did not get the first. The second makes it abundantly clear how this is going to end if it continues. So I'm guessing the 408 number is not yours but I see no reason to post it and further humiliate you, in case it is. You are doing a really fine job of humiliating yourself and all I've done is hand you the rope. So ... yeah, Mr. Post Grad... Let me drop a little sincere advice right here...

Maybe you should consider AA? Put down the bottle and go get some sleep. You have my number. If you feel the need and can find the courage AFTER YOU ARE SOBER, RING IT.. don't text it with an anonymous service.

Now let's see, what was it that Judge Roy Bean said? You know the judge from Pecos? Oh yeah! I remember: "Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

Quote:

Heh… yeah. Look before you leap. There might be a snek… Is this yours?
It looks a lot like I might be yours. I'm thinking anonymous texting service because you will observe that I replied to you TWICE. I guess the number would probably not be yours but I see no reason to post it and further humiliate you. You are doing a really fine job of that yourself.
Maybe you should consider AA? Put down the bottle and go get some sleep. You have my number. If you feel the need and can find the courage AFTER YOU ARE SOBER, RING IT.. don't text it with an anonymous service.

-

Screenshots now ? LOL

Humiliation? I'm not the one who really lives in Virginia; but puts 'Greece' as his location at AGN. That doesn't do wonders for your overall credibility.

Betcha like to know how I know what you're posting even though I have you on ignore, huh?

They're great climbers just not so grateful at coming down. Of course my pet grey (back when I was a young lad) thought she was a cat, being she was raised by our mother cat who just had a litter of kittens of the same age, about one week old. I introduced the fox pup to the litter by rolling the fox and kittens together for several minutes and the mother cat excepted the pup as one of her own!

Fox did well on cats milk! Grew up faster than the kittens and was quicker. When the dinner bell rang she was always first to the bowl. Got a little off subject but thought you would enjoy the story.

Cheers

Quote:

Heh… yeah. Look before you leap. There might be a snek… Is this yours?
It looks a lot like I might be yours. I'm thinking anonymous texting service because you will observe that I replied to you TWICE. I guess the number would probably not be yours but I see no reason to post it and further humiliate you. You are doing a really fine job of that yourself.

-

Screenshots now ? LOL

Humiliation? I'm not the one who really lives in Virginia; but puts 'Greece' as his location at AGN. That doesn't do wonders for your overall credibility.

Betcha like to know how I know what you're posting even though I have you on ignore, huh?

You know the thing about being drunk that really upsets most sober people? It is the way it makes you think you are the smartest guy in the room. It is the way it makes a drunk think he is privy to some secret knowledge. It is the way that it makes the drunk THINK he has not gone so far past the rules of common decency that he is going to be able to recover from puking his guts out on the living room floor.

Let's pretend I don't know that being logged out lets you read all the messages and let's pretend that I don't know how to run multiple accounts. That way YOU CAN SHOW ME HOW SMART YOU ARE. Ready? Set. GO!