Approaching that Potential Permission...

I have various permissions near where I live and feel very fortunate. Have been eyeing a good looking place about 40 minutes away. I'm finally going to give it a try this weekend and ask permission. Wish me luck. Below is an image of the form letter I used. Sometimes the owners are to busy to chat. Wish me luck.

1581782218_13909589025e4814caa2e109.58325096_pesting permission.jpg

I often leave them with a little treat too. I deer hunt, so most often it is deer jerky (you'd be surprised how much people love that, even non-hunters), but will also sometimes use tickets to a local sporting event, or a bottle of whiskey or vodka if I believe they are a drinker.

Sure, it's sort of bribery, but little gifts like that are extremely effective at getting a pleasant conversation going, and they will remember you because of it.

With the inclusion of the "lower power", I might also include the idea of humane killing. It will reinforce your idea about good, sure shot placement. I'm sure farmers have little care for pigeons or rats, but it would show you aren't just going to throw lead around his property. 

Either way, sounds like a good opportunity for both of you. Good luck.

Just got back from meeting the owner, it went well. We spoke a little about the other dairies I pest at, all in all a good first visit. Left my information for him to digest. I will make another visit in a few weeks to seal the deal, wish me luck. Must confess to having my wife with me, she is great with people. She is one of the main reasons I got to know some of the farmers in our community. 

I am not in favor of using a letter to try and land a permission and here is why. I want the land owner to meet me. To see the type of person I am so they can make a judgement after speaking with me. I can answer any questions they may have. So much can be left out of a standard form type letter that could easily break the deal for you. As uncomfortable as it may be I would always suggest knocking on a door and starting with a handshake. I literally did this last week after procrastinating about it for weeks. There is a pig/cow farm not too far from where I live. I said screw it I am going up there and hopped in my truck. Best move I ever did. Met with the owner and a couple of his workers. Spoke for 20 minutes and boom! I am in. If you were the land owner put yourself in his./her shoes. Would you rather meet the guy asking to shoot on his property face to face or through a letter? 

Best,

John

I am not in favor of using a letter to try and land a permission and here is why. I want the land owner to meet me. To see the type of person I am so they can make a judgement after speaking with me. I can answer any questions they may have. So much can be left out of a standard form type letter that could easily break the deal for you. As uncomfortable as it may be I would always suggest knocking on a door and starting with a handshake. I literally did this last week after procrastinating about it for weeks. There is a pig/cow farm not too far from where I live. I said screw it I am going up there and hopped in my truck. Best move I ever did. Met with the owner and a couple of his workers. Spoke for 20 minutes and boom! I am in. If you were the land owner put yourself in his./her shoes. Would you rather meet the guy asking to shoot on his property face to face or through a letter? 

Best,

John

I did meet with the landowner and after speaking awhile, about the other dairies I pest at. I then handed him my information for later reference. I will be making a follow up visit next week.