• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AP16 Trigger Adjustment Procedure

I have a Standard Ataman .22 AP16. The out of the box trigger was not ok, and I have managed to get it to an acceptable pull and let off but the safety is screwed up by my adjustment and it makes me nervous. On my firearms and TX200 I have had the luxury of someone postin a trigger adjustment procedure to follow which usually led to a great trigger. Can anyone share with me what their AP16 trigger adjustment process is?
Thanks

There's a good one or two in YouTube...but I'm having a little problem finding it.
I did find one in a different language. It's got nice photos but...

If you take the left side grip off, and then the plate on the left side, it opens the trigger mechanism. If you have some mechanical knowledge, you should be able to figure out what screw does what. But...go slow, so you can backtrack if you don't like what you've done.

You can look for yourself...I'll also keep looking.
I know it's there, I've adjusted mine by it !

Mike

J -

This will have to do for now...read your manual.

Go to page 9, section 11.
Read over this.
Set screws numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 are the ones that you want to adjust.
NOTE - You have to remove the grip frame to adjust screws 5 and 6.

It's not as difficult as it looks once you get into it. Also, you may have to do the adjustment a couple of times to get it exactly the way you want it.

You can make it a very nice pull and release, with some careful adjusting.

Mike

Last edited:
I haven't seen a write up on the trigger but have spent some time with adjustments to make it more to my liking. First thing is remove the grip and the side plate so you can see what you are adjusting in real time.

I've found that the trigger is not great when running it as a 2-stage so I've basically tuned the 1st stage out via the trigger adjustment screw.

I also determined that the sear spring is a bit strong for a very light trigger even when adjusted fully out so I trimmed about 1.5 coils off it which helped lighten it up.

Make sure that you don't tune out the working safety as that leaves very little sear engagement.

Overall the tuning is a back and forth between all the adjustments and takes some time and dry firing to get right.

Thanks guys. I was able to get a decent 8oz break but with no first stage. I might have to settle for that
Back out the most forward screw (in front of the trigger shoe) a little, until you get what you like for a first stage.

I have two AP16's. I got one set really nice a long time back. Then I bought a second right after the Russia-Ukraine thing started. Sorta as a spare parts gun...
Anyway, I did a little adjusting on it, but the trigger's always seemed tight in the frame.

So...with your questions about your gun, I decided to see if I could figure out the problem with...my gun.
There's two pieces of nylon (?) rod in the trigger. I assume as rubbing blocks to keep the trigger action smooth. One of the rods was not evenly placed in the trigger, so the front one was rubbing one side of the frame, and the back one was rubbing on the other side of the frame, making it a bit snug. So I fiddled with the positioning of the misplaced one of them until it was better centered. Wha-la, that fixed the stiffness problem.
I did a little more adjusting, and just like you said, I needed to back the front adjusting screw out a little to get more "first stage". All is well now.

Try a half a turn out, see how that feels. You can go farther. Backing that screw out all the way, does no harm to any other adjustment, like some have an effect on other screws.

Mike