• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Events AOA Extreme Bench Rest, Field Target & Big Bore April 27th 30th Ashland, Or

Ok, here is what I've worked out for the Big Bore game, but I'm still working with the Range Board on the new berms they will be building for us and the 600 yard club. If I can get the berms I want, then this could be the game.

We have 5 shooting benches with 5 staging benches in between. There will be one quadrant target at each bench. ( we will build these) I'm still working out the distance and size, but here is the first idea. 150 yards,- 6" squares with a 4" center round, 200 yards 8" squares with 5" center, 250 yards, 10" squares 6" center, 300 yards 12" squares with an 8" bull and 350 yards with a 10" bull.

You get 5 minutes on the shooting bench to set up, take your 5 shots and get ready to move to the staging bench where you will have your air tank ready. You have 5 min to fill and adjust scope if you desire, and be ready to set up on the next bench. So 10 min per shooter per bench, so that's only 5 shooter per hour really. We will test that as soon as we can and see if we can lower the time to allow more competitors to play.

You would get 5 points for a center hit and 1 point for a hit on any square... so 25 point possible per lane.
You can use a rest or bipods, but you have to be able to move in in the time frame.
We might be able to paint the targets every hour in that 10 min opening.
Hopefully also the new berms will show total misses off the target.
what ya thnk?

Wayne
I like it. In order to make it less "bench howitzer" as Cole said, I'd give a 30 second setup and 30 seconds per shot. Or 3:00 for each bench. Then the same time (3:00) to get aired up between shooting benches. That would be 6 minutes per lane and 10 shooters per hour. Also keeps it from becoming a pure benchrest event with 50-pound, one-piece rests, etc...

Wayne, you did say no tethering, correct? Other than that, pretty much anything goes?
Correct Mike, NO Tethering... But I'll try to design a nice staging table to hold your tanks, so you can set your gun/bipod or rest/gun close enough for a quick fill safely. I'd really like it to be 3 mins also, but that pretty much limits it to attached bipods don't you think?

Correct Mike, NO Tethering... But I'll try to design a nice staging table to hold your tanks, so you can set your gun/bipod or rest/gun close enough for a quick fill safely. I'd really like it to be 3 mins also, but that pretty much limits it to attached bipods don't you think?
Well, I'm not sure how much time it takes to set up a two- or one-piece BR setup, but almost all (over 90%) of the big bore guys at EBR and RMAC shoot from a bipod anyway. So might as well make it 3:00. We don't need to bring the Mountain to Mohammad.

Shooting ELR well with an airgun generally requires more time than otherwise.

From what I've read, while we are at the staging area, another competitor will be shooting at the bench, so 10 competitors on the line (5 shooting and 5 prepping) at a time. I'm also assuming each stage will be 5 shots at a single distance. Besides filling (if needed) at the staging bench, the competitor can use those 5 minutes to range the target, dial the turrets, etc.

I'm sure you could test it and find that 3 minutes is adequate for those doing the testing. But 3 minutes might be pushing it when you have new shooters with a new format. Rushing new shooters does not go well. Best to allow a little extra time on the first go around. If 5 minutes proves to be more than enough, then think about reducing it for the next match.

Shooting ELR well with an airgun generally requires more time than otherwise.

From what I've read, while we are at the staging area, another competitor will be shooting at the bench, so 10 competitors on the line (5 shooting and 5 prepping) at a time. I'm also assuming each stage will be 5 shots at a single distance. Besides filling (if needed) at the staging bench, the competitor can use those 5 minutes to range the target, dial the turrets, etc.

I'm sure you could test it and find that 3 minutes is adequate for those doing the testing. But 3 minutes might be pushing it when you have new shooters with a new format. Rushing new shooters does not go well. Best to allow a little extra time on the first go around. If 5 minutes proves to be more than enough, then think about reducing it for the next match.
No, Scott, I'm trying to say that only 5 competitors will be on 5 benches and 5 staging benches.. so that you can move your stuff and let the next guy move his in while you are fill and waiting for your next shooting bench.

Yes, 5 shots on the same target each lane.. each lane changing distance and target size.

No, Scott, I'm trying to say that only 5 competitors will be on 5 benches and 5 staging benches.. so that you can move your stuff and let the next guy move his in while you are fill and waiting for your next shooting bench.
I said "10 competitors on the line", meaning 5 competitors at the 5 staging benches getting ready to shoot, and 5 others at the 5 shooting benches. Is that correct?

You said: "...5 competitors will be on 5 benches and 5 staging benches..."

Did you mean: 5 competitors will be on 5 shooting benches and 5 (other) competitors will be on 5 staging benches?

Reactions: Centercut
Wayne, I'm excited that you guys are including big bore this year!

I wanted to ask if you would reconsider the no air rule though. Many of these big bore guns gobble up a ton of air, and that rule put's people at a real disadvantage, especially when shooting long range.

Would you consider this? No tethering, but you get 5 minutes to take 5 shots. If you want to burn part of that time airing up, that's on you, you still only get 5 minutes. Would you consider that? -Dave

I said "10 competitors on the line", meaning 5 competitors at the 5 staging benches getting ready to shoot, and 5 others at the 5 shooting benches. Is that correct?

You said: "...5 competitors will be on 5 benches and 5 staging benches..."

Did you mean: 5 competitors will be on 5 shooting benches and 5 (other) competitors will be on 5 staging benches?
No, only 5 shooters on 10 benches, 5 of which are for staging in between the shooting benches making it easier to get shooters off and onto the next bench, by quickly moving off when your time is up to the staging bench next to your shooting bench... and also next to your next bench until you get to the last bench and need to go back to one if you didn't start on bench one.

Wayne, I'm excited that you guys are including big bore this year!

I wanted to ask if you would reconsider the no air rule though. Many of these big bore guns gobble up a ton of air, and that rule put's people at a real disadvantage, especially when shooting long range.

Would you consider this? No tethering, but you get 5 minutes to take 5 shots. If you want to burn part of that time airing up, that's on you, you still only get 5 minutes. Would you consider that? -Dave
Dave, that is the plan... you get 5 min to setup and shoot your 5 shots, (if need be, you can fill in between the 5 shots, but that on your shooting time), then another 5 min to move onto the staging bench, fill up, adjust your scope if you want, and then onto your next shooting bench, before the next 5 mins starts to shoot again. You put your air tank on the staging bench so you are ready to quickly fill in between each lane. You do that for 5 lanes each a single different target and distance shot at 5 times.

Last edited:
Dave, that is the plan... you get 5 min to shoot, then another 5 min to stage onto the staging bench, fill up, adjust your scope and then onto your next shooting bench, before the next 5 mins starts to shoot again. You put your air tank on the staging bench so you are ready to quickly fill in between each lane.
Wayne, what I'm proposing is that you have 5 min for 5 shots BUT if you want to air up during that 5 min, it's up to you. You still only get 5 min

Whoa! Making it mandatory to shoot Big Bore? That’s a first. How about COMBINED best two out of three so you don’t penalize the vast majority that don’t have big bore guns and have no interest in big bore?
PS. Bring your hearing protection! 🤪
Can you define Big Bore?
I've been thinking about your idea Mike, and I like it, but.. the only problem I can see is the scoring total possible would have to all be the same in all four events... right?

So if we have 25 targets in field target, and shoot each twice, that's 50 shots, so you get 5 points for a hit to make a 250 total possible like the bench rest event.

Big Bore would be 5 lanes with 5 shots per lane, so 25 shots, means we need 10 points possible per shot. The center spinner needs to be 10 points. The outside squares maybe 5 each hit.

Your saying the best two scores for any of four events, but you can enter all four and still pick your best two out of three or four just two if you only shoot two?

It just might work... thanks.

Wayne

Last edited: