AOA and Utah Airguns

“Which MAY be my last major purchase”, those words could be the kicker. I’d say if something has caught your eye after this major purchase you very well may be asking this question again. It seems this is a common occurrence here. Go with your gut feeling and get the one you really want, I think you already what it is, even though your asking. 5 year warranty is pretty sweet and so is some of their wood.

So the Redwolf is definitely the "hotness" of the moment, one of if not the most desirable gun to have. And honestly you can't really go "wrong" with any of the guns mentioned here, as they're all exceptional BUT..... and it is a big full rounded spankable but, the Redwolf in particular turns me off a bit particularly in your scenario. Let me explain. 

You say you're retiring soon, and this is a retirement gift to yourself, so you're probably looking for a gun to "see you out." Figure then you're 65 (all rough numbers) so you should figure you're going to be shooting it at least until you're 85. Given the rate of medical progress, chance, etc 95 or 105 both aren't out of the question. That means you're looking for a gun that you will keep running for at least 20 years if not 40. Think back to 20 years ago. It was the late 90s. How different were rechargeable batteries back then? How about electronics? Pretty darn different. How many electronic things which used microprocessors from back then do you own which still work? Probably a surprising number, but it is only surprising because ANY of them still work. Now granted electronics are getting better and cheaper and easier to work on by the day. 

I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, and can happily/easily work on electronics. The Redwolf's system really turns me off. Instead of going open source, making the programming in-built (which would have been easy, and then you don't have to source an expensive and scarce programmer) etc, they went with a proprietary closed system. At least this gen uses a small stick lipo which you can probably find a replacement of from an RC store when that packs it in, but in 10 years it is a good bet even the balancing plugs will be different. And the software is all closed source and proprietary. How repairable for YOU explicitly will that gun be in 20+ years? Will you even be able to get compatible parts? Will even Daystate be willing/able to repair them? I just don't know, but the closed-source nature of the system means everything will be much much harder. 

Meanwhile, despite Daystate's claims, their team Redwolf did ANYTHING but dominate at EBR. That doesn't mean they're bad by any stretch, far from it actually, but I interpret that as showing their electronics and in fact entire guns don't give them a decisive edge over conventional mechanical rifles. 

So how about a "normal" gun? Well the spring washers in the reg will go over time. Those are standard parts generally, I doubt any airgun company makes them in-house. o-rings have been around for a LONG time. Googling suggests the modern O-ring was invented in 1937, which seems about right given advances in rubber technology of the day. While o-rings themselves are advancing in materials, and can genuinely do incredible things (like seamless PTFE coated silicone o-rings, talk about living in a time of miracle and wonder), expect the o-ring will be a mainstay of mechanical systems and widely available for at least a century to come if not forever. Springs too in time will meet their end, thankfully coil springs are fairly simple things and can even be DIYed if absolutely necessary. Usually though a spring of roughly comparable size and force can be found. Other than that, there isn't too much to wear in an airgun. Good lubricants will almost stop mechanical-on-mechanical wear. I've never heard of someone actually shooting out an airgun barrel. And beyond that most things can be made on fairly simple machine tools. *shrug* 

I guess I went through a similar calculus to all this, and settled on the FX Crown as in my opinion the broad parts availability, popularity, and ease of service make it about as future-proof as guns get. If a new pellet becomes all the rage, makes everything else obsolete, someone is going to make a quick-change barrel for the Crown and Impact. That is far from the only option though. A RAW really is a celebration of American manufacturing, and their commitment to supporting the old Theoben rifles is laudable. While some people are still a little sore over that whole thing, I try not to judge given that I really don't know the actual details. Edguns are an acquired taste, but by all accounts are also built to last and easy to work on. I happen to love how they're styled, and have a huge appreciation and respect for Russian engineering in general, but I can see why some guys just aren't into it. There are a few other brands kicking around at this level which are also excellent, worth considering if you care to. Personally though, I'd take the RAW or FX. The RAW is a bit more extravagant, both in price and in manufacture. Their wood is just exquisite, and everything is beautifully done and set up. The FX on the other hand just has broader popularity and is made to be worked on. I went through a similar calculus to all the above myself just a couple months ago and in the end went with the Crown. I wouldn't fault anyone for going in a completely different direction though. There are no wrong answers here, everything is pretty much world class.

Maybe Daystate Red Wolf did not dominate the EBR this year, but the .177 Red Wolf did EXTREMELY well at Field Target shoots this year here in the northeast, including the Crosman All American Field Target shoot and the recent Field Target Nationals! The .177 Red Wolf is a Field Target shooter's dream come true.

I think it's a mistake to buy anything thinking that it will be "THE" one for the rest of one's life. Buy what you want to have for the next few years. And re-evaluate periodically. 

As for the Red Wolf... the 5-year warranty, re-newable for a second 5-year period, is a safety net that should erase concerns about reliability and future use for quite some time. I wouldn't be surprised if Daystate produces upgraded electronics for the Red Wolf sometime down the road a piece. In any event, if I get 5 good years out of it, I'll consider re-upping the warranty again, or not, or perhaps just trade it in on something else.

If you're fortunate, you will have a few different air rifles to enjoy and choose between. Use frequently, re-evaluate periodically, and swap old for new when it makes good sense.

There are few products that I buy which I tend to think of as being for the rest of my life. (Yes, I've been retired for five years now and I'm 68 years young.)