Anything better than the Taipan Veteran for the money?

I don't own a Taipan - it came down to a Veteran or an R5M and I chose the R5M (not claiming that was 'best' - just what I chose at the time). BUT, I think this much is telling: How many threads can you find with people complaining about their unreliable, inaccurate Taipans? Yeah, me neither...

GsT

From what I've heard, the R5M is awesome also. I agree with you, anybody who can find a thread about a lemon Veteran gets a six pack on me. 

I don't own a Taipan - it came down to a Veteran or an R5M and I chose the R5M (not claiming that was 'best' - just what I chose at the time). BUT, I think this much is telling: How many threads can you find with people complaining about their unreliable, inaccurate Taipans? Yeah, me neither...

GsT

From what I've heard, the R5M is awesome also. I agree with you, anybody who can find a thread about a lemon Veteran gets a six pack on me.

This is exactly why the Vet was my first high end purchase in PCPs a few years back. I knew nothing, asked for a recommendation and at least 4-5 people said the Vet. I searched and couldn't find any reviews on the gun, but also couldn't find any negative threads either. I took a total chance and it was one of my best purchases. 

Reactions: Hoffman9517
You guys got me itchn. So.. if were to get one and one only, which version of the Taipan (short/std/long) and what caliber? Plink/hunt with slug option in mind. Thanks.

The Taipan standard in .25 caliber is the best, overall, air rifle I have ever owned. This, when compared to the Daystate Red Wolf 22, the Brocock Bantam Sniper 22 and the Kral Empire X 25.

I am looking HARD at the RTI Prophet Compact at this VERY moment. Minds can be changed and that includes mine. I actually thought the Taipan was hideous now I am gaga over it.

I’ve got one and LOVE it!

I just bought the rti prophet compact. 22

Please report back after you get it. Mine LOVEs AA18’s best with JSB 18 a close second.

The Taipan standard in .25 caliber is the best, overall, air rifle I have ever owned. This, when compared to the Daystate Red Wolf 22...

Better than a Red Wolf. That is some high praise.

Yup! I prefer my Taipan over my Red Wolf. The Taipan is more accurate, more reliable, and- simply- awesome! If I had purchased a Taipan standard before the other air rifles I own- I would never have bought them- no Daystate, no Brocock, no Kral.. The Taipan is the best air rifle I own.

You guys got me itchn. So.. if were to get one and one only, which version of the Taipan (short/std/long) and what caliber? Plink/hunt with slug option in mind. Thanks.

I would go with a standard or long in .25 if you intend to hunt anything much larger than a squirrel or rabbit. The standard is 55 FPE and the long is 65 FPE. You could go with a .22 in any size if you just plan on hunting smaller game.

The Taipan standard in .25 caliber is the best, overall, air rifle I have ever owned. This, when compared to the Daystate Red Wolf 22...

Better than a Red Wolf. That is some high praise.

Yup! I prefer my Taipan over my Red Wolf. The Taipan is more accurate, more reliable, and- simply- awesome! If I had purchased a Taipan standard before the other air rifles I own- I would never have bought them- no Daystate, no Brocock, no Kral.. The Taipan is the best air rifle I own.

I thought for sure a top tier Daystate would give a Veteran a run for its money. Insane how nice these guns are.

I don't own one but have researched the Vet along with the Uragan for awhile now, I hope one of these will be my first high end pcp. I own a TalonP which has served me well for many years and I won a Ataman AP16 which I consider to be high end for a pistol, it is amazingly accurate. From what I can see Vet's can't be beat for the money... quality, trigger, accuracy, no poi accuracy issues and not a bad word said about them speaks volumes!

I opened this thread looking for reasons not to buy a Taipan. You guys didn't help at all! :)

Curiously, while this is a 2.5 year old thread, many of the reasons for the Taipan and even some of the alternates are pretty much the same. Speaks volumes.

I know this isn't the case, but a conspiracy theorist would think the folks who make Taipan are paying people for kind words. Too many kind words to afford though.

Had another moment of appreciation for the OG Veteran just yesterday. Bought a chassis stock off classified here last week. It came without the bolts for the cheek piece (they need to be a bit longer than what's already on the gun). It only had 1 of 2 bolts holding the buttpad to the rest of the stock. And it had neither of the two large bolts to hold the stock to the action. Also missing a bolt for the grip (depending on which grip is used).

In short, I needed a bunch of fasteners.

Stopped at the local Ace hardware on my home from work yesterday and I swear Taipan had to have used the same dang bolt manufacturer as what I found in the bin for some of what I needed. Not likely, but the reality is that the original Veteran just uses simple, easily sourced, standard sized metric bolts. Same goes for orings.

Now I've found some funky threads and bolt sizes and whacky orings on other airgun brands, but it was pretty refreshing to be able to find exactly what I needed in the bins at ACE. It wouldn't have gone so well with many other airgun brands.

I bought a .22 Standard in a coffee laminated stock from Tony at Talon Tunes, a year and a half years or so. I liked the gun, but not the caliber I chose, so I sold it to a member here. Last month, after the Veteran 2 came out, I bought an original Veteran in .25 Standard in Grey Laminate. I love it. Luckily, I realized my mistake and corrected it before they were all gone. A friend of mine has a grey laminate in .25 Long he wants to sell me. I may just buy it too. Like others, I have owned a lot of PCP rifles and have gone full circle.

I've had a Standard model .22 for several years and it has been perfect. The new Vereran 2 incorporates some changes that seem to be finding favor in the market. Everyone except a few of us was screaming for forward cocking, and they got it. I prefer the simplicity of the original. Making the barrel free floating was another "improvement" that I see as unnecessary. Thankfully, they left the trigger assembly alone. I can say with confidence that the original is an excellent rifle and a great value. Given the original build quality, I assume the new model is also of high quality, and I'm sure that I'm in the minority for preferring the original.

Reactions: Joedirt199