• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anything better than the Taipan Veteran for the money?

Haven't owned a veteran. Used to have a vulcan. When I was considering what bullpup to buy most recently, the veteran was near the top of my list but I ended up settling on the Zbroia Kozak FC, because it's 300-400 bucks cheaper with a very similar feature set. I don't regret my purchase. I'm as satisfied with the kozak fc as I was with my vulcan. 

Depending on your specific use, I'm not sure there is a better choice at any price! The Veteran is accurate, dependable, great trigger, great mag system,and about as complicated as a hammer. I can name only two weaknesses, and both are subjective. First, it's heavy, and second, it's a bull pup. I don't like bull pups, I'll never own another one, but I'll never get rid of this one! For me, shooting a BP is like riding a bike with a flat tire, you'll get home, but it's not very comfortable. But the Veteran is just so good, I have to appreciate it.

i have both a new 22 cal vet standard and a 22 cal vulcan ,..A G T is sure putting out some nice choices lately .with the VIXEN and URUAGAN ..the Vulcan is light weight compared to the VET ,both shoot great, the heft of the VET ,to me is a hindrance i,like to shoot off hand ,but it can benefit others who shoot off a table ,,both awesome i put the TAIPAN in the catagory of built like a tank ED GUNN CRICKET are all similar ,good luck HYNZIE4s

Being right handed I like the cocker on the left side so I can leave my hand on the grip, as well the forward cocking instead of at the back of the gun, and the shot count in the AGT standard length which is IMO short enough, it's around 300 per fill. My friend had me keep shooting it and after 100 or so rounds I tapped out, lol. The mini gets around 150 shots per fill.

I've shot a Veteran but haven't owned one, I like the barrel support system in it but I'd still take the AGT because of the aforementioned. I also like the AGT mags and the trigger can be adjusted to be very good.

IMO ... Nope !!

What they lack in Bling is 10X made up for in build quality and THAT TRIGGER !!!

I highly doubt you remember, but you were one of the guys over on GTA when I first got into PCP 3-4 years ago that recommended a Taipan Vet to me. I had gotten a P-Rod and was looking for something a notch up for my 2nd purchase. 

I got a Vet .22 Compact and man it was nothing less than awesome - but I just couldn't get past that rear cocking. Sold it about a year later. I've got to say there have been very few airguns that have lived up to that Vet. My Cricket Carbine Mini .22 is up there. My FX Ranchero had an equally awesome trigger. Yeah - that's about all I have worth comparing.

I had purchased a Red Wolf in .177 and it was a real beast, especially with a Heliboard upgrade. But just too long for me. 

I replaced the Red Wolf with a Wildcat MkIII .177 and well, that was a let down. The 2-stage trigger, while decent, is a freakin joke. If you shorten the 1st stage you lengthen the 2nd stage - it's a terrible balancing act that never gets better than stock. Search my posts for shifting POI frustration.

So - what the heck to replace this .177 Red Wolf that will make me happy? A Taipan Veteran .177 Standard. I'll deal with the rear cocking after I move it to the left side. I have no doubt it will be awesome in all other respects. Rated for 30 fpe in .177 I look forward to sending some heavier slugs and pellets screaming down range. 

Bullpup wise it's just hard to beat a Veteran. I'm going back to one myself. Just have too much experience with them to want to learn a different platform. Uragan though is a very very nice gun. If they made one in between the standard and compact I'd likely own one.

Dillon - totally agree. If they made one in a 28-29" length I may have gone that route. 

Always lots of talk about the position of the lever on the Veteran. IMO, the ideal position is different for different uses. Shooting seated with a shooting stick, I usually reach over the comb with my left hand to cock. From the bench, right side suits me better. In the woods, assuming I would be using the left side of a tree for support, right side is better. Mid or rear lever does not matter to me at all. Rear is simpler, and simple is usually preferred. My point, I think it would be a mistake for someone to pass on a Vet because of lever location. I shoot lots of things with different operating systems, and none of them present a big problem in adapting.

Yeah, they're awesome.

As for robustness and build quality, I think the Vet can only be beat by custom guns like the USFT and Thomas. And of course the EVOL.

The general blocky look of the Vet is lacking in comparison to the sleek and pleasing lines of guns with Minelli sporter stocks like the Red Wolf or even the high end springers like the AAs and HWs. But it more than makes up for its aesthetic shortcomings in performance. 

I agree 100% with elh0102, the human body and brain are amazing at adapting. (For example, I just went through some eye procedures on both eyes a few weeks apart and it was really crazy to see the effects of "dominate eye" and what the brain can deal with when the dominate eye is out of commission for a week). So the rear-cocking is a non-issue. I reach over the top with my left hand to cock the gun (right-handed shooter) and it works for hunting, competition, and bench shooting situations. Even if you personally consider it a fault of the gun, all the other features (superb trigger, reliability, consistency, accuracy, maintaining poi, ease of power adjustment, build quality, ease of working on, smooth cocking, etc, etc, etc) more than make up for it. 

For perspective, there are two duplicates in my modest collection: two variants of the FWB 300s, and two variants of the Veteran. The same characteristics of exceptional and reliable accuracy, coupled with a simply over-the-top solidness are why I own duplicates of both. And I'm not a collector or acquirer. And why it is extremely rare to read any negative comments towards either the FWB 300s or the Veterans; lots of extolling of virtues, and a nearly complete dearth of gripes. 

Guys I feel that AGT does make a gun that is a size between the full sized Urugan and Compact Urugan, it is called the Vulcan 2.

At UtahAirguns I held a Vulcan 2 which @bflyod1095 and I both think is his new Vulcan 2 and it was very nice, but I don’t know if I would put it above me Taipan. The Vulcan 2 was definitely more “refined” in its finish, and seriously the Taipans are in the same price range. However, I don’t think the AGT guns are as robust in the feel, aka rough and tumble, the Kalibgruns I hear are closer, but haven’t owned or shot one yet.

Yeah, they're awesome.

As for robustness and build quality, I think the Vet can only be beat by custom guns like the USFT and Thomas. And of course the EVOL.

The general blocky look of the Vet is lacking in comparison to the sleek and pleasing lines of guns with Minelli sporter stocks like the Red Wolf or even the high end springers like the AAs and HWs. But it more than makes up for its aesthetic shortcomings in performance. 

I agree 100% with elh0102, the human body and brain are amazing at adapting. (For example, I just went through some eye procedures on both eyes a few weeks apart and it was really crazy to see the effects of "dominate eye" and what the brain can deal with when the dominate eye is out of commission for a week). So the rear-cocking is a non-issue. I reach over the top with my left hand to cock the gun (right-handed shooter) and it works for hunting, competition, and bench shooting situations. Even if you personally consider it a fault of the gun, all the other features (superb trigger, reliability, consistency, accuracy, maintaining poi, ease of power adjustment, build quality, ease of working on, smooth cocking, etc, etc, etc) more than make up for it. 

For perspective, there are two duplicates in my modest collection: two variants of the FWB 300s, and two variants of the Veteran. The same characteristics of exceptional and reliable accuracy, coupled with a simply over-the-top solidness are why I own duplicates of both. And I'm not a collector or acquirer. And why it is extremely rare to read any negative comments towards either the FWB 300s or the Veterans; lots of extolling of virtues, and a nearly complete dearth of gripes.

I shot archery for years, right-handed, and didn't know I was left-eye dominant. Switched to LH hold and it was awkward at first but I shot much better. LOL

It would be hard to beat the veteran for the money. Here is an example of .22 veteran with LW barrel vs M3 at 50 yards. 3 blue circles on right are veteran shooting HN barricudas 18gr at 890-900fps. 3 blue circles on left is the M3 shooting same pellet at same speed. Veteran actually did better more consistently. BUT that could be just my comfort level shooting the veteran vs impact. Im still learning the M3.
20210528_072218.1622208651.jpg
20210528_072414.1622208659.jpg