• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anything better than the Taipan Veteran for the money?

friend got std v2 in .25 ,only problems for 1800 rifle that is no noooo (wonder what are these ppl comment affordable ? vs 3k ones or ? )
and after couple of weeks of phoning up down ,do this that he return her and got v3
by look v3 and vet are same rifle ,same country of origin ,same cz parts
i think in v2 they make addon to long version to choose normal or polygonal rifling

I've had a Standard model .22 for several years and it has been perfect. The new Veteran 2 incorporates some changes that seem to be finding favor in the market. Everyone except a few of us was screaming for forward cocking, and they got it. I prefer the simplicity of the original. Making the barrel free floating was another "improvement" that I see as unnecessary. Thankfully, they left the trigger assembly alone. I can say with confidence that the original is an excellent rifle and a great value. Given the original build quality, I assume the new model is also of high quality, and I'm sure that I'm in the minority for preferring the original.
I'm with you-I prefer the original. I figured Taipan would eventually give in to the whiners demanding forward cocking. There are tons of options with forward cocking available to them, but Taipan caved and decided to "improve" that which did not need improvement. I initially was in no hurry to buy an original as I hoped when they brought out the new model, they would continue to offer the original. When I became unsure of that, I bought what I could find.
The Taipan was never a lightweight gun, just a rock-solid hunter. With the Vet2 Taipan has entered a sea of competition against long proven guns. The new gun is almost 9 pounds. There are a lot of bench rest guns I would buy before a Vet2 and as a hunter, it's just too bulky and heavy. I think they made a mistake and should have at least kept the original available as well as offering the new model.

I'm with you-I prefer the original. I figured Taipan would eventually give in to the whiners demanding forward cocking. There are tons of options with forward cocking available to them, but Taipan caved and decided to "improve" that which did not need improvement. I initially was in no hurry to buy an original as I hoped when they brought out the new model, they would continue to offer the original. When I became unsure of that, I bought what I could find.
The Taipan was never a lightweight gun, just a rock-solid hunter. With the Vet2 Taipan has entered a sea of competition against long proven guns. The new gun is almost 9 pounds. There are a lot of bench rest guns I would buy before a Vet2 and as a hunter, it's just too bulky and heavy. I think they made a mistake and should have at least kept the original available as well as offering the new model.
I agree, on all accounts.

I was sad to see that the Vet II did away with the barrels threaded into the receiver. I've found the original combination of barrel threaded into the breech block + the scope towers clamping the air tube and barrel to be one of the most solid barrel fixing methods available, in ANY airgun. It was funny that in Taipans promo material for the gen 2 they were saying the new barrel fixing method does away with shifting point of impacts. So they're "fixing" a problem that doesn't exist with the original Vets. I've got three OGs, first has been owned since maybe 2018? I can do an actual tin count of empties next time I'm at home, but I'm likely at a combed 50,000+ shots taken from my Vets. And I've never experienced any sort of impact point shifting.

Not to mention how ugly the Vet II is...man I can understand form over function, but good gravy they're homely. The bottle version of the Vet II looks like a USFT, and that is NOT a compliment.

In general, I agree that Taipan caved to the squeakiest wheels about front cocking. And at the same time made other changes that collectively forsake much of what makes the OG Veteran so good.

2023-11-22_09h27_26.jpg

2023-11-22_09h29_40.jpg

Reactions: Ranchibi
I’ve almost been talked out of my CZ Vet twice. I knew they were going to eventually introduce a new gun so if I sold mine, I would be first in line to buy the new model. Thank god I didn’t sell. The new gun looks like three guys with different ideas had to come to a compromise. What we got is an abomination. It may shoot great, but I’ll just take everyones word for it. That thing isn’t going in my safe. This is the truth because I stated way back before Taipans were in vogue. I went years with my gun without ever clicking my scope. Definitely no POI issues. It’s the only gun I own to date that I never have to check my zero.

I can't pass up a Taipan Veteran thread....again...yessss their worth the price....but I would get an older one while the gettins' good....Open letter to the company that makes the Taipan Veteran....You folks in the Czech Republic sure know how to make a fine FINE air gun....but don't throw away the old original Veteran blue prints....The Kalibergun Mini Carbine is close....but it ain't a Veteran...IMHO.....
20231117_134536.jpg
20231117_134224.jpg

Reactions: igolfat8
I never owned an RTI P3. Based on some of the reviews I've seen, like this one, I doubt I would want to.

I have shot several brands of slugs out of my Taipan Veteran in .25 Standard and they shot surprisingly well at the short distances I have to test in my backyard. I have heard more than once, if slugs won't shoot well at close distances, don't bother going farther out so I consider it promising.

Last edited:
Reactions: ccfly
by video he pick compact base version that he dont like .what we got from video is hole precision ,for base compact bulpup . they design lw barrels to get
best precision to what these expensive competition barrels cost
so by you u don't like precision ?? i dont get it ?
i don't use original vet ,but only vet 2 and i never hold worst rifle ,and i have some no name Chinese ones
that v2 we use is complete heavy ugly garbage on 10th
probably error only on that rifle but that experience just make me go nooooo when someone say taipan to me
btw thanks for video now i like p3 even more ,so i buy one in .30 performance ver
:))
just tip rti have black Friday discount of 25% right now :)

I like precision. Several guns currently available have excellent precision (the Vulcan 3 is one of them). Most of the reviewers dislikes in the video were other aspects of the gun, so a better barrel in the non-base model won't change that. Buy what you like, it's your money. Sorry I can't supply any money saving tip. I'm not trying to help anyone sell anything. The original post was about the Taipan Veteran, not the Veteran 2. Since I just saw 3 posts from you on page 1 of this forum, all about the RTI, I thank you for your un-biased opinion.:sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: ccfly
i just ask cause friend have vulcan 3 ,other friend will soon buy something
and i wonder to get uragan 2 or rti p3 or fx
so i ask here for p3 .. in couple posts .. on reddit i ask uragan 2 questions ,and on fb fx guys for dynamic ..
fx is out due first shots problems and no discounts :)(
so uragan 2 and p3 was my decisions ,even tac of v2 but friend standard just left that bitter taste in guts ...even so i sit here too and read
and then i get mail from rti they got 25% discount,, huh

and uragan 2 no discounts yet or taipan or fx
so i just bite bullet and go .... and you help with that video too